compare Sonar 7 producer edition to Cubase SX

• Members

They tell me that I can get a "competitive upgrade" , so what will I get that my Cubase SX (v1) can't already do? What are the essential "new features" of Sonar 7 Producer Edition above SX? This upgrade will cost $399. Is it worth it? Run on XP?

Dan

• Members

Man, I can't even keep up with the marketing for all these Sonar updates, let alone the updates themselves. On the rare occasion I still use Sonar, I use PE 4. I am sure there's an awful lot of essential functionality I am missing out on--depends on how you define "essential" I guess. ;)

It's a truism about to mature into a full blown cliche but I'll say it anyway: let your working and creative needs drive your technology choices, as opposed to letting technology drive your needs.

...and in the interest of full disclosure, there have of course been times when I have upgraded/updated and even pursued global personal studio upgrades just to shake things up.

Sonar is cool. I'm with Reaper now.

• Members

I'm sure the latest Cubase has comparitive features that the latest Sonar does, but I haven't kept up on Steinbergs products so I couldn't really make a comparison. Off the top of my head I like midi groove clips(acidized midi), and Audio Snap. Here's a link to the new features

• Members

Sonar includes some nice effects including one that corrects/alters pitch in vocals and leads beyond what basic picth correction programs normally do. I like the way Sonar uses audio and MIDI clips. When I last studied the two that was one area that Sonar was well ahead. That helps me get an idea down quick. Something I need with my aging brain.

• Members

I have a vintage copy of Cakewalk vs. 1 with SN printed on the floppy and might be tempted to part with it for the right price. Word on the street is they were using analog processing to make those floppies. It sounds much better than later CD and DVD versions.

Robert

Archived