enough about gear,samplerates,compression and stuff.

boosh

• Members

I just watched a documentary about Chet Baker's time in the Netherlands.

I got this flashback to when I was a kid.

I saw him in front of me again so clearly,....there he was sitting in that Hotel window. The skin of his face looked like faded newspaper. His mouth and cheeks had that distinct appearance of an addict.

He started playing and singing and smiled at me.

I want to record stuff and make it sound how it sounded back then to me.

The chills it gave me,...the ambiance that surrounded the whole thing. The buzz I had in me days and days after I heared him play.

The primal feeling you get when you hear music. When you live it,breathe it,taste it.

Music is not science,..... it's an energy.

We need energy to live in forms of light and food but I guess we need music too.

Without music life couldn't have evolved the way it did.

Booshy

• Members

hmm, I do't think anyone said music is science on that other thread (rather, they were looking to apply scientific methods of inquiry to questions about the technology of sound recording)

Then again, music ain't really an energy either (the acoustic phenomena is, but not the music) it'd prob be more of a neuropsychological phenomenon

could we live without music? some do

some people live without colors or language or vision or hearing, there are even people who (they tend not to live too long) who live without pain

• Members

You hear folks say that "music comes from within" all the time, but I've often wondered what a child who'd never heard music (no lullabies, so humming, no birdsongs even) would come up with in the way of music?

• Members

hmm, I do't think anyone said music is science on that other thread (rather, they were looking to apply scientific methods of inquiry to questions about the technology of sound recording)

I wasn't actually referring to that other thread. I was pointing at my own thread about more expensive microphone cables.

When I describe music as an energy I don't actually mean an energy,...

I just don't know how to say it right.

I could call it a lifeform or phenomena or dimesion whatever.

Maybe even a carrier that takes the listener to another dimension.

• Members

You hear folks say that "music comes from within" all the time, but I've often wondered what a child who'd never heard music (no lullabies, so humming, no birdsongs even) would come up with in the way of music?

I have no clue.

But what I do know is that animals use sounds and frequencies to communicate and certain songs when they have different moods. Even insects use different frequencies to let other insect know they're not of the same species or even gender.

I've heard somewhere that farmers use music to make their crops grow bigger or to calm down their livestock.

• Members

I wasn't actually referring to that other thread. I was pointing at my own thread about more expensive microphone cables.

Ah, OK didnt read that thread - There's another thread going that has some similar sentiment in it

(sory bt the confusion)

When I describe music as an energy I don't actually mean an energy,...

I just don't know how to say it right.

I could call it a lifeform or phenomena or dimesion whatever.

Of those phenomenon is probably the most fitting in English

• Members

hmm, Diana Deutsch UCSD does some fascinating work in the area in musical perception (with memory/learning). Some of her work brings up some interesting perspectives on the role of our environment in our musical perception

I dont know if she's done any work with deaf-from-birth restored hearing.

Might be worth an email to her though

• Members

I actually don't believe we can hear only with our ears.

I see colors when I listen to music and I can hear music when I look at paintings.

I can feel basses in my belly and high pitches in my fingers.

When I play guitar my fingers work like pickups and the transmit the sound to my brain.

Put your hands on your speakercones and you know what I mean.

• Members

One thing is certain... music is definitely an hypnosis. The entertainer can lower (and raise) the brainwave frequencies of his audience using sound.

When we say "the musician had his audience in the palm of his hand" it's a sure bet he had lowered their brainwave frequencies down into the Alpha range of frequencies (11 Hz down to 7 Hz) and sometimes even down into the Theta range (7Hz down into 4 Hz).

The musician who understands brainwave frequencies-- and the state of suggestibility they engender--- is a "double threat" in terms of moving an audience and bringing them 'round to his mood, his way of thinking, etc.

More info: http://www.web-us.com/thescience.htm

• Members

I actually don't believe we can hear only with our ears.

Well, we hear with our ears, but that doesn't mean it's the only sensory input in play feeding our perceptions - it does kind of point back to the differences and interplay among sensation, perception, cognition

I see colors when I listen to music and I can hear music when I look at paintings.

What you are describing is known, in English, as "synesthesia"

• Members

What you are describing is known, in English, as "synesthesia"

I know ;) found that out years ago .,...I always thought I was an abnormality.

Then again,... I still think I am hahaha :p

• Members

I know
;)
found that out years ago .,...I always thought I was an abnormality.

Then again,... I still think I am hahaha
:p

You probably are! but not in your synessthesia :p;):D

Oddly, it may very well be more common than once thought and not merely YES/NO phenomenon. There are some perspectives that opine we are all, to varying degree and type and - potentially- in different circumstances, synthesthetic. Synestheia may very well not even be merely a continuum (as if can vary by nature as in perceptual v cognitive synesthesia)

• Members

Totally. But recording IS a science, and the better we can capture that energy
without it getting in the way of the artist,
the better.

Maybe that's my main problem. I am the guy here who records,writes,plays,sings and keeps the gear and computer running....

Sometimes crappy mics and crackling faders annoy me so badly I just quit recording and just sing and play.

Would be cool to have some pro-equipment or a fullblown studio...

Switch it on and play untill tape runs out or harddiskspace.. without having to adjust stuff or repair stuff.

Although that same stuff teaches me a lot about recording and gear. Sometimes I feel extremely lucky to be able to do all the things I can with my guerilla set-up.

• Members

Then again, music ain't really an energy either (the acoustic phenomena is, but not the music) it'd prob be more of a neuropsychological phenomenon

could we live without music? some do

some people live without colors or language or vision or hearing, there are even people who (they tend not to live too long) who live without pain

I disagree. Music like life is energy as far as I'm concerned.

• Members

I would be so fascinated with this...but depriving someone of music would be considered cruel and unusual punishment...

• Members

Totally. But recording IS a science, and the better we can capture that energy
without it getting in the way of the artist,
the better.

One of the things that I really love about recording is that it is a science and an art. I love the confluence of the two. And I would agree that it should never get in the way of the artist. It should either get out of the way or enhance it, but regardless, it should be the artist's servant, not the other way around.

• Members

One of the things that I really love about recording is that it is a science and an art.

Amen Brother. I think the same can be said about music in general though. To me Music is science to a degree. Science is nothing more than a way to represent nature in manner that can be studied, discussed, and extrapolated so that we can learn more about nature. Music is really just another way to represent nature.

• Members

I disagree. Music like life is energy as far as I'm concerned.

I think the "as far as I'm concerned" is where there may be some disconnect and why "energy" can be a bit narrow in definition as opposed to phenomenon.

a phenomenon can include and allow interpretations such as energy or even configurations (of energy or of matter - abstracted from the matter and energy itself) within it, whereas "energy" more narrowly defines it as energy itself.

Phenomenon allows us to acknowledge and discuss a "thereness" without overly specifying what that is so we can reference it allowing your concern, my concern, his concern, their concern...

Someone with amusia, for instance, may not find "energy" in the phenomenon outside the acoustic energy (that would be outside of your concern, but very much part of their concern) but still be able to identify it as phenomenon.

It can also free us from energy calcs (such as conservation of energy) that may not apply so well

hmmm, now that you bring it up

I suppose music (and life), containing structure, would, in information theory, would have a specific Shannon entropy state , but that wouldnt be exactly the same as thermal entropy (and hence energy state) though the two may be related

• Members

Amen Brother. I think the same can be said about music in general though. To me Music is science to a degree. Science is nothing more than a way to represent nature in manner that can be studied, discussed, and extrapolated so that we can learn more about nature. Music is really just another way to represent nature.

Perhaps so. I'm reading some of these comments with interest, as I have not really completely thought through what music is.

Music is a lot of things.

Music is nature. Music is science. Music is communication. Music is energy. Music is vibration. Music is an interpretation of nature. Music is nature. Music is sex. Music is beauty. Music is love. Music is bonding. Music is human. Music is spirituality.

And music is something that I cannot really fully describe.

• Members

Music is a lot of things.

Music is nature. Music is science. Music is communication. Music is energy. Music is vibration. Music is an interpretation of nature. Music is nature. Music is sex. Music is beauty. Music is love. Music is bonding. Music is human. Music is spirituality.

And music is something that I cannot really fully describe.

The wonderful thing is, open ourselves everythig is!

fencing is sex

rolling a kayak is getting a fussy child to go to sleep

math is dancing

arco is X/c skiing

a singularity an identy..."I am"

That's why I believe phenomenon is a wise use if we are discussing things in "otherness" (It is this, it is that) as it allows us to recognize a "thereness" without unduely restricting the concept

...a growing wisdom and joy that no longer needs to devour

• Members

Before I saw slight-return's post, I was gonna say:

Who says music is science?

Everyone know's it's math.

:D

Or... to take up Jimbroni's comment: Music is organized energy.

Or... Noise is like scattered light; music is like a laser.

But music ain't even sensical the way I play it.

;)

• Members

I have no clue.

But what I do know is that animals use sounds and frequencies to communicate and certain songs when they have different moods. Even insects use different frequencies to let other insect know they're not of the same species or even gender.

I've heard somewhere that farmers use music to make their crops grow bigger or to calm down their livestock.

Mocking birds will learn other birds' songs or tuneful whistling. I once stayed up one night outside the little house I lived in for a few years in my twenties, carrying on an extended back and forth with particularly willing mocker. I'd been coming in from a night of drinking (no doubt) and I casually copied the mocking birds' last phrase as I was walking up. It repeated it back, so I added on a little bit and it repeated that back. After a while we were going back and forth, he sang a bunch of set songs he'd obviously learned (I listened to this guy most nights for a couple seasons of a couple years) and we pretty much traded licks back and forth for maybe fourty five minutes (I've always assumed my neighbors hated me) and it was a blast. Now, what his motivations were, I couldn't tell you. Maybe he was compelled by his biology or maybe he was just havin' fun. Certainly birds play (frolic, as it were).

Archived