Who likes the Zoom H2?

Lee Knight

• Moderators

I just ordered and can certainly cancel order of a Zoom H2. My needs:

I didn't think I did need one. Then a new record production gig came up and I realized this gig would require more preproduction that I have ever been a part of. I was going to need to direct rehearsals, and document the progress. So, in essence I need an easy to use, no brainer rehearsal recorder that easily dumps to computer. I also need the ability to either time stamp or name files before recording.

The better it sounds, well, the better. But that's not top priority. Easy and concise documentation is the goal here.

And I like cheap. This is a tool like a cell phone is a tool. What do you think?

• CMS Author

I've tried out most of the units on the market and could afford to buy any of them (though the Sony PCM-D1 would be pretty hard to justify) but I decided on the Zoom H2 as the most-likely-to-be-used, and that's the one I chose to own.

For me, it was a matter that I could carry it in my pocket or my guitar case, record a jam session or informal concert, and bring back something worth listening to and learning from. I don't plan to release any CDs with the recordings I make from it - not that I couldn't make the effort to get a relase-quality recording from it, that's just not why I got it.

As far as its value in recording pre-production work, well, it depends on how you work. A lot of the time, "pre-production" involves writing and arranging, and it's handy to have a multitrack recording so you can play with parts individually. But if you just want to document your rehearsals and ideas, it'll be fine. The four-mic "surround" mode is excellent if you're sitting around in a circle with your band members jamming or working out ideas.

There's no reason to want better audio quality for your purposes. If you get famous and want to issue an authorized bootleg some day, the quality is perfect for that. It's not so small that it gets lost in your pocket or hand (like the tiny Yamaha) and it's not so expensive that if it's sitting on the floor recording a session and someone accidentally kicks it, you won't cry about a scratch in the titanium case. (but it'll probably still work)

• Moderators

As far as its value in recording pre-production work, well, it depends on how you work. A lot of the time, "pre-production" involves writing and arranging, and it's handy to have a multitrack recording so you can play with parts individually. But if you just want to document your rehearsals and ideas, it'll be fine. The four-mic "surround" mode is excellent if you're sitting around in a circle with your band members jamming or working out ideas.

Perfect. Right, I'm only making suggestions then trying them full band. No overdubs at this point. I considered the H4 but I like to keep pre simple and involve the group. As a band. This is to doc a change in a lo tech capture sort of way. And yeah, the 4 mic feature looks interesting. As I see it and understand it, you capture in 4 mic and blend the front and back to balance things a bit post. Sounds perfect for my needs.

I figure the MO will be to place the unit in the middle. Have them work on changes to the arrangements. Record. Take back to my studio and edit together proposed changes and send out CDs. Sounds like this is the ticket for me.

Thanks guys.

• CMS Author

As I see it and understand it, you capture in 4 mic and blend the front and back to balance things a bit post. Sounds perfect for my needs.

It has two ways of using both sets of mics. The way I use it, they're combined in the recorder and you get a single stereo WAV file. The alternate "surround" mode gives you two WAV files, one from each mic pair, which you can mix to taste, or can send to four speakers for a surround experience. I don't have a surround speaker setup, so I've only used the 4-mic mode for 2 channels.

• Members

You'll LOve the H2 Lee.

I have an H4 and couldn't do without it, I like it so much I'm considering buying an H2 as well, so I'll have both.

You know, I've thought of that too just to have the extra mic patterns.

I do find the 4-tacks handy when demoing harmony vox parts for band members, etc. The one thing I never touch on the H4 are the onboard effects. Hey, it IS a Zoom afterall...

• Members

You know, I've thought of that too just to have the extra mic patterns.

Yea me too ... I've never gotten into the 4-trk, F/X's on the H4, the only thing I use is the mic modeling (U87 works best for recording a band) and the limiter and Phantom PWR. I've got a matched pair of Sony ECM-33P's that I often use instead of the built in mics.

I originally told a client of mine that they ought to get one, that it would be good to record rehearsals and shows ... a week later they bought one and surprised me with one too.

During a LIVE show I used both of them once, one in the center of the room, the other directly out of the FOH mixer ... then later put both recorders into Pro Tools and mixed them together ... that was fun and sounded great, talk about depth... wowsa !!!!

Russ

Nashville

• Moderators

I got an H2, one of the things that was great about it was that it comes with everything you'll need - you won't have to cough up for a new adapter or anything like that. Nice and simple, sounds pretty good.

And I see it comes with that nifty mic clip mount. Simple and slick. Bring a folding tri stand with and some phones and I'm good to go. :thu:

• Members

I actually use NMHi in my H2 [no problems]-- I like going non-proprietary with the battery system (my audio, digital cam, GPS, marine VHF, headlamp, etc all use the same stuff so I can stay real modular)

and if I need to punt, I can source batteries at general retail

maybe not the right solution for everyone, but works for me

• Members

I've tried out most of the units on the market and could afford to buy any of them (though the Sony PCM-D1 would be pretty hard to justify) but I decided on the Zoom H2 as the most-likely-to-be-used, and that's the one I chose to own.

I actually found the PCM-D1 easy to justify once I heard it. It's amazing what such a small little recorder can do. I find myself comparing it not to other portable recorders, but to more expensive solutions for field recording. Four paws up.

• Members

I have a zoom h4, and its the cats meow. It also does 24bit and 96khz (the edirol only does 48khz).

The zoom h4 is an amazing piece of gear for less than $299. Not only can you record in wav or various mp3 settings, but the unit also has a zoom g2 effects engine built in, can model microphones, has dual phantom powered xlr inputs (that double as line inputs), great built in condensors, and it also doubles as a portable 4 track recorder.

Probably one of the best values out there in music gear (that and the behringer v-amp 2 for 99 bucks).

• CMS Author

Yeah, I was thinking about getting one of those too. I also considered paying a few extra bucks and getting an
- anybody tried one? Seems like it might be just a step up in quality and durability from the Zoom.

I was gong to get an Edirol R-09HR for review but ran into a snag and don't have it yet. The original model is decent and the new model, as well as offering 96 kHz (which I doubt I'd ever use) has a couple more buttons on it which might make it easier to access things that you need to access often enough so that it's a pain to use the menu.

A nice feature, if you're inclined to put it up on a stand, not just on a table in front of you, is that it includes a wireless remote control. It's a simple remote, just record start and stop, but it might let you place it better for recording a show or lecture where it's inconvenient to reach the recorder where it sounds best.

I reviewed the TASCAM DR-1 and felt that it was a better musician's tool than general purpose field recorder. If you're inclined to write songs in the woods, it might be a better choice than taking a laptop computer setup along with you, but I thought that mic recordings with the Zoom sounded a little more balanced over the frequency range. Although I didn't really care much for the built-in effects (nor do I on the Zoom) the overdub feature could be useful for someone experimenting with a song or composition.

But they made some odd decisions that limit its usefulness. For example, it's either a metronome or a recorder, but not both, so you can't get a "beep track" in your headphones while recording a part. I though the 1/4" input jack was useful, but it's mono, it has fairly low gain for a mic and it (like the stereo mini external mic jack) it's noisy. TASCAM recommends using a transformer ahead of it, which helped a bit. If their goal was to make a handy musician's recorder, they should have made that jack a high impedance "DI" for plugging in an instrument. It didn't work particularly well for that.

I was always pushing the wrong button on the TASCAM - there are four different buttons to access setup-like operating features (maybe the R-09HD with its new buttons suffers from the same malady).

If I wanted the best sound and build quality for some more bucks, I'd get the Sony D-50, but I wanted handy, cheap, and, if necessary, expendable, so my choice is still the Zoom H2. None of them have everything.

• Moderators

Alrighty then. The H2 arrived today at work. I had no idea it was this small. How cool is that. I was picturing something the size of a paperback book. Smaller maybe... but this is smaller than an electric shaver.

Great. Very cool. I hope to try it at preproduction rehearsals this week. I'll report back on how it works for me. Neato.

Archived