Who likes the Zoom H2?

Lee Knight

• Members

I'm currently using an H2 in a drybag (they make littleclear drybags for handheld VHFs you can talk through them, but that's for communications - the sound ain't great through em), but I'm still kind of worried about the incidental water damage (that's one reason I went with an H2 - cheap enough where I'm not going to be crying the blues if I roll with it)

and haven't been using external mics -- so I've been taking it out when needed(or trying -- haven't been able to get it out in time a lot)

I've been toying with seeing if I can totally seal a an external jack cable (shoe goo the hole where the cable exits the drybag)

sound slike there isn't a popular ruggedized one? - fair enough dry bag it is

any advice on where to look for water resistant field mics?

• Members

My son and I share one for adhoc moments. It is great for what it does, easy to operate and sounds decent.

My son's metal band use it in a small basement setting to record practice and then email the results to each other. I was surprised that it sounded that good. Very clear

• CMS Author

I'm currently using an H2 in a drybag, but I'm still kind of worried about the incidental water damage

I've been toying with seeing if I can totally seal a an external jack cable (shoe goo the hole where the cable exits the drybag)

I wouldn't test it out unless Samson offered to give me another one, but I'll bet that you can dunk the H2, with exception of the mics, in water and it would continue to work. The case isn't leakproof by any means, but there really isn't much that can be damaged by clean water. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to drop it overboard if you were sailing the ocean though. The grill would probably protect the mics from a light rain.

As I say whenever I get the opportunity, working with an external mic isn't very successful. Unless you have a very high output mic (and honestly, I haven't found a suitable one) the signal-to-noise ratio is poor due to the relatively low analog gain of the input stage. The Sony D50 works very well with an external mic, and I've heard that the M-Audio MicroTrak also does, though I've not had one of those to test. The M-Audio is pretty small and rugged looking, though not was well sealed as the Zoom. The Sony is bigger than pocket sized, but would work well sealed in a plastic bag with an external mic.

You did, however, say "roll with it" so you might do it more harm if your cycle fell on it than if it got wet. ;)

• Members

Hey! thanks for the details!!

sorry, wasn't too clear (I think I do that when I'm doing a lot of writing at work, I get sucked into a little specialized thing and forget to fill in context in everyday spak) -- "eskimo roll" :(

There are a lot of neat environmental/animal sounds out in the puget sound, up in the yukon, and such

was kinda hoping to catch some of these, maybe even do a little running audio diary as I paddle

I got the H2 as a total "crime of opportunity" general purpose anywhere/anytime recorder, which I find it's really good for,

-- but for this use (as with all things marine) I suppose I'll need "a special one" like the ones you mention that do better with external mic

• Members

then whats best between H4 and H2 for use near my computer for record classic guitar scratching and random noise (xylophone, hukulele, musical glasses...)direct to computer?

its cost the same price as a USB audio interface but you get the mic and mobility!

• CMS Author

then whats best between H4 and H2 for use near my computer for record classic guitar scratching and random noise (xylophone, hukulele, musical glasses...)direct to computer?

As far as "sound quality" is concerned, the mics on the H4 are a little better than the H2. If you're asking which one makes the best USB stereo mic, it would be the H4. But for portability and ease of "opportunity use" with perfectly acceptable quality, I think the H2 is superior.

It's not idiot-proof, however. This weekend a friend of mine was recording a contemporarry classical music concert using a coincident stereo mic pair. I gave her my H2 with a bracket to attach it to the mic stand and asked her to run it so we could compare it with the pair of AKG C451s that she uses as the primary mics. I showed her how to operate it, and she even called me from the show to review the instructions for starting it, and still, she came back without a recording on the Zoom. I have no idea why. I urged her to make a quick test recording and play it back, but she didn't.

If you're not in a big hurry, you might wait to see what Zoom comes up with next. I expect to see the next model fairly soon, and I'm guessing that it will combine the better fidelity of the H4 with the user interface and mechanical design of the H2. Who knows but that it might even cost less, too. ;)

• Moderators

Sounds like she just record enabled it and saw the meters running and left it. I think it's pretty idiot proof, lord knows I can be one at times. She probably had too much stuff at once going on with her rig, etc. I haven't seen an easier to use device than this H2. Learn the very basic button strategy and you're off.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Well... I finally used my little H2. What a cool little recorder. Just as simple as can be. I had the band set up in one of the guy's workshop. A tall industrial building. I put the H2 in 90 degree stereo mode. Mounted it ear level with the included mic stand mount (slick) 10 feet from the band. Couldn't be simpler. Sounds just like it sounded. Even got sort of a Bonham sound. I got to sit and take notes without ever scratching my head with the regards to the recorder. Easy and sounds great for this type of usage. I import to my PC shortly and intend to experiment with some editing of different endings, shorten sections, etc. for preproduction ideas. Cool.

The only drawback I can see at this point is the weak headphone amp. I'll live.

This is very cool. I bring an extension cord, a mic stand, the H2 and AC adapter and phones. A pad of paper and pen. Travel light and still get the job done. Nice.

• Moderators

hmm, would a small headphone amp (like a couple of LM386 shoved in a small enclosure) be an option?

I was thinking the same thing. I was using Sony 7506's too and they are usually very loud. One of those little Rolls phone amps might be in order. But in practice, it didn't matter. I recorded 10 seconds and played it back. Sounded great, I angled more toward the vocal cab and went to town.

• CMS Author

hmm, would a small headphone amp (like a couple of LM386 shoved in a small enclosure) be an option?

That's a nice construction project, but by the time you deal with the case, connectors, and power supply, you might as well buy a $100 Behringer headphone amp.

You have to be careful with the H2 when you puxh the listening volume. The output stage can clip before the input stage. I noticed as I was monitoring from the line output and pushing up the signal going to the input (I was using an oscillator on the bench at the time) that with the output level of the H2 set full up, the output would clip when the input was still clean. Reducing the output level to 100 on the scale of 0-127 fixed that problem.

100 seems to be the number to shoot for (that's probably the design center gain) when using the H2. Set the input gain lower and you can clip the input stage before you reach digital full scale (in fact you'll never reach digital full scale - sort of like the most awful sounding limiter). Same for the output stage. Adjuust your gains outside the recorder (or with the three position gain switch) if you can.

Archived