RIP, Paul Newman, 83

blue2blue

So many of his movies were great... one of my favorite scenes from The Hustler seemed to me it could apply equally well to when things "click" for you as a musician...

"Cause, ya see, twice, Sarah... once at Ames with Minnesota Fats and then again at Arthur's, in that cheap, crummy pool room, now why'd I do it, Sarah? Why'd I do it? I coulda beat that guy, coulda beat 'im cold, he never woulda known. But I just hadda show 'im. Just hadda show those creeps and those punks what the game is like when it's great, when it's REALLY great. You know, like anything can be great, anything can be great. I don't care, BRICKLAYING can be great, if a guy knows. If he knows what he's doing and why and if he can make it come off. When I'm goin', I mean, when I'm REALLY goin' I feel like a... like a jockey must feel. He's sittin' on his horse, he's got all that speed and that power underneath him... he's comin' into the stretch, the pressure's on 'im, and he KNOWS... just feels... when to let it go and how much. Cause he's got everything workin' for 'im: timing, touch. It's a great feeling, boy, it's a real great feeling when you're right and you KNOW you're right. It's like all of a sudden I got oil in my arm. The pool cue's part of me. You know, it's uh - pool cue, it's got nerves in it. It's a piece of wood, it's got nerves in it. Feel the roll of those balls, you don't have to look, you just KNOW. You make shots that nobody's ever made before. I can play that game the way... NOBODY'S ever played it before."

While I didn't always agree with his politics, I had tremendous respect for him as a artist, and as a good American citizen who really tried to make the lives of those who were less fortunate than him better.

He'll definitely be missed. :cry:

• Moderators

I loved him as a kid and still do. In the 80's I was in my twenties. I went to an art house theatre to see a rivival screening of a restored The Hustler. I'd seen it many times before but... on the big screen. Newman was the man. He was charming, way too good looking, and above all, in that movie, he was cool.

I think of Newman I think...

Him laughing at Redford in Butch Cassidy before they leap into the river.

Him laughing at Redford in The Sting laying in a tub hungover.

Eating eggs in Cool Hand Luke.

Sweating in The Hustler and still being cool.

Looking caved in, in The Verdict.

Looking yound and horny in Hud.

Many, many more...

See ya Paul. Love your salad dressing.

Archived