Is it live or is it Memorex? - Recorded Realism

Ethan Winer

• Members

I posted this in a few other forums yesterday, but I'm posting here too because this came up here a few months ago.

One goal of music recording is to capture a true sound, so when played back it sounds like the musicians are right there in the room with you. The experiment shown in my newest video proves it's not an easy task! We weren't entirely successful, but did manage to get fairly close with some of the instruments. Look for Recorded Realism near the bottom of the RealTraps Videos page. Also available for viewing and download in higher resolution on Vimeo. Enjoy!

--Ethan

• Members

I posted this in a few other forums yesterday, but I'm posting here too because this came up here a few months ago.

One goal of music recording is to capture a true sound, so when played back it sounds like the musicians are right there in the room with you. The experiment shown in my newest video proves it's not an easy task! We weren't entirely successful, but did manage to get fairly close with some of the instruments. Look for
Recorded Realism
near the bottom of the
page. Also available for viewing and download in higher resolution on
. Enjoy!

--Ethan

Dear Ethan and all you forumites....

I think things became much clearer to me when I realized how important it is to conceptualize my own idea of what the

• Members

Thanks very much for chiming in Bruce. As I mentioned on the phone, I agree that pop music recordings these days are more about creating an "environment" than capturing a true-to-life experience. Even orchestra recordings can (and should) sound better and larger than what you hear in a concert hall live.

--Ethan

• Members

Even orchestra recordings can (and should) sound better and larger than what you hear in a concert hall live.

--Ethan

Why? :) Apart from the obvious benefit of comping together best moments.

(I've not heard my favorite recordings through the best gear in a perfect room, and most of my time in whatever hall has been spent on stage.)

• Members

I always try to make my stereo sound-field far more than merely two-channel mono. In other words, I always try to make my stereo sound-field multi-dimensional, not merely left, center and right.

For me to be satisfied with a sound-field, it must have the proportions of left, center, right and depth.

What would be cool Bruce, is if you could demonstrate this in a video like Ethan is doing. I'll bet we could learn a lot seeing it done with your commentary.

• Members

Even orchestra recordings can (and should) sound better and larger than what you hear in a concert hall live.

What you hear in a good concert hall with a good orchestra is simply amazing. Never heard a classic recording that comes even close, to be completely honest. But I know that if anybody could pull it off, it's Bruce!

Martin

• Members

Believe it or not, my own complaint with my own mixes is that they DO sound too realistic... ie., too "present" and too "natural". Nothing translates worse to an AM monophonic car radio than a "natural" recording...

The greatest pop records there are post-1955, IMHO, do not sound realistic. They have been shaped sonically in very important ways, both for artistic (mixing) reasons and for logistical (mastering) reasons...

It's those secrets of "heightened artifice" I most wish to learn...!

• Members

Believe it or not, my own complaint with my own mixes is that they DO sound too realistic... ie., too "present" and too "natural". Nothing translates worse to an AM monophonic car radio than a "natural" recording...

The greatest pop records there are post-1955, IMHO, do
not
sound realistic. They have been shaped sonically in very important ways, both for artistic (mixing) reasons and for logistical (mastering) reasons...

First, get rid of all your digital equipment. Computers, digital processors, anything that was not available at the time. ;)

• Members

The greatest pop records there are post-1955, IMHO, do
not
sound realistic. They have been shaped sonically in very important ways, both for artistic (mixing) reasons and for logistical (mastering) reasons...

Funny because I too find that my tracks sound too full and therefore I end up carving out a lot of freqs with EQ just to get instruments to sit well with each other.

• Members

Awesome video. Thanks Ethan.

I've been working on my stereo micing skills all summer and I can say for sure that *no one* seems to care or have any passion for it. I'm amazed. Everyone here is just so locked into close micing that they don't even consider stereo micing important...

• CMS Author

I've been working on my stereo micing skills all summer and I can say for sure that *no one* seems to care or have any passion for it. I'm amazed. Everyone here is just so locked into close micing that they don't even consider stereo micing important...

Perhaps because they're playing all the parts one at a time and assembling a "band" from pieces. When recording in that manner, I don't see much point to recording each instrument in its own stereo space. They don't mix together very well like that - it's not what air and some distance does when recording an ensemble.

Get a band. Work out your arrangements so that the band is balanced and you can hear everything without the need for electronic assistance. Find a good room. Then you can record in stereo. But don't ask if you can fix that wrong bass note.

Occasionally recording a single small instrument in stereo is an interesting effect, but mixing a band full of individual stereo sources rarely sounds natural. You will occasionally read an article where a famous engineer or producer says he always records acoustic instruments in stereo, but you don't know how he's mixing them.

Archived