Whats been lost in R&B music... interesting article

• Members

Just read an interesting article on CNN about R&B music... which I think can be translated into most pop music today. Some interesting quotes from the article below to get your interest...

How are you going to write about love when you don`t know what it is?

-Larry Dunn, founding member of Earth Wind and Fire

Looking for love in todays R&B Music

We had so much harmony, so much purpose in our music.

-Kenny Gamble, Producer/Songwriter

• Members

I assume the demand in what music must be today, what it should express changed.

About that love thing, to me it seems that the messages hidden in the lyrics are unimportant, and what perceived as sweet & nice, putting us in the mood back then, is a generations thing which doesn't work with todays listeners.

• Members

This..............................................

"There's been a lot written about the narcissism of young Americans. They don't want to pay their dues. They are self-absorbed -- tweeting, texting, posting asides on Facebook -- and they are constantly immersed in their private worlds."

• Members

I get the red x when I click the link, so, a shot in the dark.

I'ts been done. Folks seem to think that genre bestowed with big labesl like Rock, Metal, R&B, etc. are streams full of gold nuggets that never end. But really they're not. There may be something there still to find, but one has to be quite lucky, or very highly motivated and ready to do a ton of sifting to come across something that weighs.

Maybe somebody comes along and does R&B/Metal and then there's another log on the fire, for a while.

Edit: Nevermind. I get the gist. It's bigger and easier money catering to an urge. It has been for quite some time.

• Members

This article was about 1000 words too long...

But as always, art mirrors culture. As culture declines and degrades, so does its music. This is what rap & hiphop are reflecting. No use blaming the mirror for what you see!

Yes, I wrote a response on CNN, pretty much stating the same thing. I also pointed a finger at labels and radio programmers continuing to push the sexually driven material.

To me it comes down to the chicken and the egg again... does popular culture drive radio or does radio/movies, etc.. drive popular culture?

• Members

I can sympathize with Blake's lamentation about the seeming loss of innocence in today's pop. Kids today really are pushed to grow up too fast -- by all kinds of parties, from mass marketers, the entertainment industry and, all too often, parents themselves.

But, after mentioning the Donny Hathaway/Roberta Flack song from which he drew his article title, what's the very next song he mentions when he's talking about all the "love" R&B used to have?

"Let's Get it On."

Now, I remember when that song came out. For mainstream pop, it was considered blunt. Getting it on, of course, only meant one thing: having sex. But just to make sure I wasn't forgetting something, I went back and reread those lyrics. They are utterly insipid begging-for-sex lyrics.

Don't get me wrong, by the time Marvin Gaye wrapped his smokey vocals around those trite lyrics, he had a proven pantie-removal concoction. And he certainly made it sound erotic and sensual -- unlike, say, Creedence Clearwater's paean to the same subject, "Keep On Chooglin'."

But, nonetheless, the lyrical content is not just trite, it's kind of pathetic...

Gonna get it on

Beggin' you, baby, I want to get it on

You don't have to worry that it's wrong

If the spirit moves you, let me groove you good

Let your love come down

Oh, get it on, come on, baby

• Members

Yah, but "What's going on."

I don't think that people have gotten any baser or shallower or lest artistic or more obscene or more manipulated by media or whatever.

A lot of folks in my generation (I'm 33) are fairly cynical, and I wonder if that is a big shift. Most of the people I know either are outright cynical or loudly clinging to beliefs (evolution and climate change are myths, the president is an alien, there is a war on our Christmas holiday, etc.) in ways that make me think they are just whistling past the graveyard.

Maybe past generations actually thought they could improve on the world; that would make for a different kind of music in which questions have a serious weight.

• Members

"Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?"

Now, that song made me utterly crazy. I despised it as the most backazzwards, sexist baloney I'd ever heard, even before I'd ever heard the word sexist. (Don't get me wrong, I don't strictly blame Carole King and her co-writers. I'm sure the cigar-chompers figured it was sure-fire.)

And, as these things will, the simpering, powerless, pliancy implicit in those lyrics probably actually pissed off the women of my generation as much as anything...

• Members

I can sympathize with Blake's lamentation about the seeming loss of innocence in today's pop. Kids today really
are
pushed to grow up too fast -- by all
kinds
of parties, from mass marketers, the entertainment industry and, all too often, parents themselves.

But, after mentioning the Donny Hathaway/Roberta Flack song from which he drew his article title, what's the
very next song
he mentions when he's talking about all the "love" R&B used to have?

"Let's Get it On."

Now, I remember when that song came out. For mainstream pop, it was considered
blunt
Getting it on
, of course, only meant one thing: having sex. But just to make sure I wasn't forgetting something, I went back and reread those lyrics. They are utterly insipid begging-for-sex lyrics.

Don't get me wrong, by the time Marvin Gaye wrapped his smokey vocals around those trite lyrics, he had a proven pantie-removal concoction. And he certainly made it
sound
erotic and sensual -- unlike, say, Creedence Clearwater's paean to the same subject, "Keep On Chooglin'."

But, nonetheless, the lyrical content is not just trite, it's kind of pathetic...

Yeah, the more I think about that article and then when I actually look up some of the lyrics from that period, they were pretty blunt. I think its just another generation putting down another...

• Members

I think there are a number of things going on:

-Education cuts. Not just cuts to music education ( which has obviously resulted in a populace who have no idea how to connect to music other than as end consumers). But overall education funding has eroded since the Reagan era and a very large segment of the population are not educated enough to work anything other than menial, dead end jobs. Lack of hope for upward mobility leads to cynicsm which in turns leads to instant gratification. The mentality that I

• Moderators

I understand the need for cynicism in music. I love Sex Pistols and Dead Kennedys. And I love Billy Paul, The Chilites and The Manhattans. For me, the issue is, there is no balance... Modern R & B has taken the cynicism and self centered POV and left behing the heart. Shallow passion as opposed deep soulful passion. And that is fine for a time. But after a while, one longs for the sounds of pure love. Sans cynicism.

It'll come again.

Archived