High School Band

• Members

Some of us have learned standard notation and it is an articulate form of communication. It is a nice thing to propel our musicianship. I don't want to suggest it is irrelevant.

I depends on what your goals and needs are. If you want to be able to play in the High School band then you really need to have a basic ability to read music.

Reading music is pretty much irrelevant to me. I write music and improvise music and arrange music. I don't need to be able to read music to do these things. But I wouldn't be able to do any of them without having at least a basic understanding of music theory.

• Members

I loved our "concert" season during high school band, but hated our football/marching season. in marching season, I played a big fibreglas Sousaphone. It caused my shoulders to ache lugging that damn thing around in the intense Texas heat. In concert season, I played a glorious Yamaha upright tuba with four rotary valves. It had a stunning tone... less oom-pah and more of a giant baritone sound. I went all the way to State UIL competition on tuba (brag-brag-brag) Had I stayed with it, I probably could've been an in-demand session tubist... I hear they're always needed and get paid well.

Veering away from marches and usual band fare ("Hawaii Five-O", anyone? 25 or 6 to 4? "The Horse"? "Classical Gas" ? ) could be do-able with some of your more talented high school ensembles (and they're out there; I've heard 'em).

• Members

I grew up playing trumpet in the school band from 3rd grade, until I graduated in 1970. Pretty much the traditional approach with marching band playing the usual Sousa and college marches; I could probably pick up a trumpet today and play 'When the Saints come Marching In'....:facepalm: In the jazz/concert bands, we did some updated songs like the theme from the Mission Impossible TV show, but the rest were standards. I picked up the guitar on my own, and played in rock bands, but that was frowned upon in school. Dropped the trumpet the day I graduated. But I did learn to read music.

On the other hand, my wife, who is 14 years younger, went to the local school here in Jersey. She and her friends played in the band, which had a very 'progressive' music director. The marching band played songs by Queen and even some Zappa. Went to competitions all over the place. When he retired recently, the program went downhill, he was a difficult act to follow.

In the mid-80's, I studied classical guitar. I guess you could call my teacher 'progressive' as he allowed me to work on anything I wanted to; we'd work on Bach Lute Suites alongside pieces by John Renbourne and Steve Howe. I continued those lessons much longer, because it kept my interest.

I think music programs need to teach the basics but also allow students to play/learn what they want to, in order to keep them interested.

• Moderators

I can't think of very many things more horrible than marching bands. I makes as much sense to me as
ninja banjo players.

You say that like it's a bad thing! I can't think of anything more awesome that ninja banjo players. I actually think that is a way to get people interested in playing music. "Learn to walk stealthy, kick ass... and play Foggy Mountain Breakdown this semester!"

Archived