Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday Infuences Thread 10-05-12

Hi!

Go ahead! Do it. Doit. Just... do it. DOIT! doitdoitdoitdoit!

_________

Glenn Gould sold me on Bach. Before I heard this recording below, Bach seemed too mathy. Too sciencey, not musicy enough. I was wrong then. Luckily 25 years ago I figured that out. Yes, it is math, like a snowflake is. Or the chaos of veins in a leaf. It's God's math. Adding up to nirvana. I never forget to refill my resources with this recording.

Always.

Playing a show with these guys this weekend. I've really enjoyed learning/jamming along with their tunes this week.

http://www.righteousbuddha.com/Get_Right.html

Check out Groove for Jr and So Much Love

Comment

Nah... that doesn't look like a whole hell of a lot of fun...

Comment

Righteous Buddha sounds great. How can you go wrong? Organ driven music?

Comment

My contribution for the week. (Remember when you could get right up against a stage?)

Comment

Les Paul ... a laptop looper kid with real guitar chops

Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

I have an extensive backlog of songs I've been meaning to post in these threads. This one recently reminded me that how a lyric sounds can be more important than what it means.

Now some they do and some they don't
              And some you just can't tell
              Some they will and some they won't
              And some it's just as well

^That is bloody brilliant, while meaning absolutely nothing at all.
              Don't listen to Justin.
              LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

^That is bloody brilliant, while meaning absolutely nothing at all.

Supertramp was the soundtrack to my summer after sixth grade.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

Lester Young, early and late.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

Tony Allen

-Coco Chanel

Comment

The State of Funk, 1970

Why did Miles choose funk? What did Miles think funk was? Did Miles actually play funk? Is the music he made in that period successful when judged against more popular definitions of funk? Does Miles have a legacy in funk?

-Coco Chanel

Comment

Miles continued ....

-Coco Chanel

Comment

E.C.'s "Almost Blue," sung by Marc Jordan.

"I write from a different place. I do not even know what it is called, or if it has a name. It just comes and I sculpt it. But it is also a lot of hard work." —Van Morrison

Comment

Notes from my guitar lesson this week.

"In a free, modal composition a lot of people feel the need to overplay, and sadly, I'm one of them. When you're playing over a chord progression, there's a melodic shape you can use as a guide, and refer back to, but with a modal thing you really have to focus and edit to make sure you're not just wanking endlessly."
                            "Was there anyone doing the modal thing before Miles Davis?"
                            "Sure. If you think of the 12 tone row as a mode the whole Second Vienna School/Serialism guys were doing that. You've got your set of available notes and you just keep cycling through them till you get to the end. And in a much shorter way, if you think of bebop tone clusters as a mode, Charlie and Dizzy were certainly doing that."

We spent the rest of the lesson trying to come up with a hipper guitar part to replace the unhip piano in Lookin For Love. After listening to me play a bunch of jazzy variations, and trying a few things on the piano, he said "eh, the piano's fine. It's foundational - what's the harmony, where's the one, that kind of thing".

-Coco Chanel

Comment

Alt-country + flamenco. Weird, but it works.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

Working...
                              X