No announcement yet.

hi-hat, or ride?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi-hat, or ride?

I seem to favor my ride a LOT more, what's everyone elses go to?

Hats for me. It's easier to be more dynamic for some reason.
    Don't Sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things

Comment

depends what the music calls for.

when I'm just practicing I'm all over both though.

Comment

it's about 50/50 with me
        great googley moogley- Frank ZappaMissing the CHEESE And MarkoHit it!__________if you can't spot the crazy one on the bus, it's probably you..............Cdawg________Good Sellers/Marko46,lossforgain x2

Comment

Hats are way more articulate and expressive. The rides only make long tones so I use them for those and contrast.
          Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Varies greatly with me, which is dependent on the music. If I do favor the ride for a song, I'll typically play the bell a good bit to add some dynamics.

Likewise, if I'm using the hats, it'll be open, closed, open (with tips), closed (with tips), open/closed, and playing the GH-inspired bells above w/the hats.

And I never limit myself to only using hats on verse, ride on chorus. threw that rule out about 10 years ago...
            No, that's not normal. What's the mixer?

It's the behringer...

Found the problem.

Comment

depends what the music calls for.

when I'm just practicing I'm all over both though.

+1
              The Southpaw is rising again!
              I finally made it into the Flaming Pedals of Doom. That was the longest and toughest audition I ever had to endure!
              Yep...Still the Director of the Geezer Guild for 2013...and counting

http://carminem7.wix.com/carminestrollo

Comment

I tend towards ride, but do accents on the hats.
                I think it's from all the jazz I used to play
                "If you can't play the blues...you might as well hang it up." - Dexter Gordon

Comment

Although I drool over rides and think they're essential to jazz drumming, I'd rather have a set of hats to chick as I'm swishing/swinging with brushes. My bluegrass busking setup has neither, just suitcase, snare, and two heavy shakers from slap happy set on the edge of the snare for hat/washboard type contrast. Btw, shakers on the snare is awesome because you can get both sounds depending on dynamics and pick them up too.

Comment

It depends on the song, But I do love it when you bury that stick right in that sweet spot where the bell of the ride begins when it calls for it, playing quarter notes right in the pocket offsetting the thump of the bass and crack of the snare, kinda like the start of "Susie Q" by CCR.
                    "As in drug rehab? or derhh, I crashes muh motorcycle rehab??" (Cross Eyed Mary) *** One of the founding members of The Geezer Guild***

Comment

Many people think the voice is the most expressive instrument. Others think it's the violin. I know better; it's the hi-hat.

/w
                      Charter Member, Artistic Director: Mraia's Flaming Pedals of Doom Squadron, Double Bass Division.
                      "I think you just called me immature. Well, for the record, I'm rubber and you're glue, and Ringo's the bomb, so kiss my hairy asterisk."

Comment

I'm a hi-hat man, mahsel'.

I'm going to say probably an 85-15 split. Possibly 80-20 on a good day.

EDIT: Mashing a crash to the beat probably takes up about 3% of my playing, so throw that into the works.
                        The TomfooligansOur first EP: Five RoundsCheck out my book on Amazon: Phalanx AlphaCurrently playing:Mapex Meridian Birch 5-piece

Comment

I don't use hats or a ride. I just bash the china mercilessly on every song.

Comment

If I HAD to choose, Id pick ride I suppose. There are times live, when I dont lay into hats much as I notice that unless they are mic'd, they dont cut through the sound enough like the A Cust Ride can.
                            -Merlin Coryell-
                            www.facebook.com/merlincoryelldrums
                            City - Metal from Portland, OR
                            www.facebook.com/ndcity
                            Mapex Drums; Zildjian & Sabian cymbals
                            Axis &; Gibraltar Hardware, Evans & Remo Heads
                            Alesis DM10; ProMark sticks
                            ESP Guitars, Line6 Stuffs &; Junk

In Requiem - Marko46

Comment

HiHat to ride ratio is about 70/30% for me. When in doubt, I go to the HiHat.

Boomerweps

Comment

Working...
                              X