The death of physical media and it's repurcussions on the consumer.

the stranger

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hope the CD/DVD doesn't die --

I just built a bookcase door and I felt 1x6 (dimensionally 5-1/2") was as deep as I wanted to go for load bearin reasons (never did one before, so I probably overengineered it) -- built it for trade paperbacks (classic sci fi)

but it fits CD/DVD just abt right

I don't want to have to build another door - I'm not a great carpeter and I had to do my rips with a skillsaw :(

• Members
On the issue of local storage, does anyone really believe that large corporations are going to store their very sensitive data on internet based servers? Not gonna happen, nor will medium or small companies. Local storage is not about to go away. It will be used by some people, and it will probably be used against those people just like Google looks at all your email when you use their free e-mail.

Read my next post to Craig.

• Members

Then that will open up an opportunity for smaller developers who will cater to those without pipelines capable of moving multi-gigabyte files with the same speed Vegas users expect.

I don't think so. Vegas will beat them to it.

Let me explain; let me bring in a detail that I left out for simplicity

• Members

I'm not following how the above scheme would negate Craig's notion (it could actually be helpful to craig's notion as the smaller operator would have a selling point)

hmm, come to think of it -- there might be even an auxillary market for "cloud seeders" (causing the cloud to precipitate) very much as we have stream rippers now

• Members

It won't work, for the same reason that similar protections don't work for the distributed music itself. If those types of encryption schemes worked on personal computers, we wouldn't be in this mess since you couldn't steal the data to begin with. People would break into those encrypted partitions just like they break into DVDs and blu-rays and so forth. Unless the encryption is in the CPU itself, non-tamperable, with a full time online encrypted connection and hundreds of keys to allow for dynamic cancellation of keys, it won't be any better than existing systems. And, if we had such a system, we wouldn't need these other things because the distributed music could be protected to begin with.

• Members

People would break into those encrypted partitions just like they break into DVDs and blu-rays and so forth.

cracking might not even be needed! if the SW winds up "playing" the file (say you are listening to it while mixing) then the app does the decryption -- you just have to intercept (like stream rippers that set up a VDX do for instance)...using a "cloud" paradigm might make that even easier as you are working through abstraction layers

• Members
cracking might not even be needed! if the SW winds up "playing" the file (say you are listening to it while mixing) then the app does the decryption -- you just have to intercept (like stream rippers that set up a VDX do for instance)...using a "cloud" paradigm might make that even easier as you are working through abstraction layers

It

• Members

a couple of top-o-the-head ones

-An in with users that want unfettered access to their work

-The ability to work remotely from a net connection

-potentially the ability to export to France

yep. modern times are about providing flexibility and convenience. If someone doesn't provide what your looking for someone else will.

• Members

Nothing is unfettered as long as you have a credit card.

That's fettering right there!

Or if your authentication goes kaplooie

Or, if your net connection is down

It facilitates working remotely from a net connection because all of the software is already available on the web.

I think you are misunderstanding there is a misunderstanding phrasing (probably poor on my part - apologies)

working w/o a net connection...remote from your connection

as opposed to working remotely (from an office or what have you), THROUGH a net connection

Be more specific. What are you trying to do and what is it about France that is preventing it from happening?

Remember the whole fairplay debacle over there? -- Basically using protection schemes to verticalize the market is a no no over there (anti-competitive practices)

It could potentially run afoul of US law too

• Members

Many stream reippers install a VDX...they essentially ARE the soundcard driver

I just fired up Vista and loaded up total recorder without a problem - if there's a particular stream you'd like me to test - we can sure give it a whirl

I suppose there's always the HW option too - if you have a digital output...

I think you mean a VXD.

Don

• Members

What about the automatic archiving feature? If your HD crashes then how are you going to get your mix back?

Like you do now, by backing up.

How are you going to compete with those other studios who have access to all those neat internet plug-ins?

They aren't going to use them either, since they'd probably rather die and go to hell than accept such a thing. They barely accept computers as it is. And, as I mentioned. And they aren't going to base their business on never losing their internect connection. When the band shows up, and the connection is down, they aren't going to pay you anyway and then leave. You aren't going to get paid.

• Members

As I stated above, you can track all the traffic on peer to peer networks and I bet the feds would tell ya you can track all the traffic in media on the net. Base the system on the amount of downloads, views, streams, etc...

Once peer to peer is legit and there is a means to collect royalties, I would imagine their use would expand. It's a great way to distribute.

Big Champagne already knows what songs, videos, apps, etc., are being traded.

• Members

They have a guess at what songs are being traded. They have no way to know for sure. They have no way to monitor newsgroups, for instance, which are huge sources of pirated material. And they certainly can't believe that they are managing to track all p2p systems out there. And are they monitoring all YouTube traffic? I can't see how they could.

• Members

Physical media - - I always liked album art... Those old Savoy Brown, Uriah Heep, and Yes albums... I like reading liners, too. But maybe it's time to stop creating landfill?

The technology is now a cat out of the bag. And nobody is ever going to succeed in stuffing that cat back it. The next question: How to deal with it? I think that published music products will become a promotional tool, or a treat for a musicians fans (such as free downloads for those who scan their ticket stubs UPCs after a show). The revenue stream will be from playing music, not from having lawyers and licenses.... People will collect music they like. Some will pay for it, others will not. So it may not be 'fair'... Sounds a lot like life everywhere. "Fair" is an unrealistic delusion. Always has been. Ask any 58 year old McDonalds junior manager.

Archived