so how do GFS pickups compare to duncans?

twotimingpete

• Members

I've put duncan humbuckers on some of my past axes and have been happy.

right now I want to upgrade the stock p90 soapbars on my michael kelly. they do the job, but I am looking for a bit more tastiness in the tonal response, and I'm thinking new pickups could help.

I'd ready to do the routine thing and grab a duncan sp90, either the vintage or the hot wind (very curious about that one), but in these troubled times the price point of GFS is looking very attractive, and although they only offer one model in soapbar, I'm thinking about giving it a shot.

anyone have experience with similar pickups of the two brands? I know some amount of the duncan price is a brand premium, but how much of it is?

• Members

well, if the duncan p90s are in a different class, that's where I need to go. but the qualifier of saying the GFS p90s are particularly good -- I guess I'm still a bit confused. has anyone compared?

Put it this way, the Duncans are 2x + the cost of the GFS. I can't quantify how much better a Duncan is but you are not going to find a better P90 for the money unless you pay top dollar.

• Members

I love the GFS fat PAFs in my Xaviere. Absolutely love them. My metal jam and the one hour challenge were recorded with it. All 3 tunes on my soundclick were recorded with it:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=759189

but of course they dont really show the range of sounds it is capable of.

They're hot, but clear. Nice and full, big bottom end, nice growl, but dont get muddy at high gain. Tapped, they give a GREAT clean sound, still bassy but still nice and crisp.

Archived