Anyone try out those SX GG5's at Rondo Music? You know, those semi-hollows?

chu2

• Members

Has anyone tried out any of the new SX semi-hollows from rondo? I hear they're getting new natural ones during the summer and am deciding wether to hold it out for one of those or to buy the natural mahogany strat....

• Members

I don't know either- Try the Agile/SX forum:

http://www.agileguitarforum.com/index.php

I was looking REAL hard at the GG5 black- It looks real pretty. I decided I'd

give Epiphone a try, glad I did. Got a Dot Studio for $199 & it plays fantastic.

Not nearly as pretty, but My wife had to nearly tear it out of my hands

tonight, I was droolling again...

• Members

Dabbler has the GG6 natural - he'll chime in Monday when he gets on line.

He's also replaced the pups on the Oscar Schmidt semi-hollow so e has experience.

Me - My Oscar Schmidt Bridge pup stopped working and I've been too lazy to fix it.

• Members

They are identical to the Brownsville ones at SamAsh.

Yup. I played one unplugged briefly @ SA - played well; felt pretty good. Frets were decent and not jagged.

Seemingly VERY heavy for a semi - but I like that :freak:

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I have the SX GG5 CUS (no f-holes, thinline hollowbody). I got it as a gift from a good friend. I thought it played well and was quite comfortable, but was assuming the asian no-name pickups would not be very good.

Finally got around to plugging it into an amp, and was very surprised. Give it some gain, and the pickups really sing. It was rich, fat, creamy. I would blame that on the amp if I had a really hot amp, but this was a 15-watt vox 15-R practice amp. It's no stadium rocker, though it's a good enough practice amp (and small venue, if you mic it).

I was really surprised at the quality of the SX guitar. Beautiful in basic black with white binding, good sound, excellent playability.

If you get one, def get the case with it. This one has a funny neck to body angle, and it's really hard to get an aftermarket case for it. As I got it as a gift, I'm not whining out loud, but if I were buying I'd not take a chance.

I'd buy another just like it.

I own two Rondo guitars, the SX GG5CUS and a PS-100 (HH, amber photocap, PRS-style) and I play them quite a bit. My ovation breadwinner and As Std HSS strat probably get a little more playtime, but both are very nice guitars and look good on the guitar stand. :-)

Archived