bigsby grounding question.

Cwizzy

• Members

Aren't those felt pads on the vibramate going to kill some resonance and sustain thought? Or are the felt pads only meant to be used when you're trying out the system to see if you like the look before attaching it?

Just a guess, but no more than the felt pads that are supposed to be left on under any Bigsby :lol:

• Members

i gathered from another thread that they aren't your thing, so it's understandable that you didn't know.
:)

I appreciate the slack. lol

So... while we're on the topic... doesn't the felt have a negative affect on the attributes mentioned above?

• Members

I appreciate the slack. lol

So... while we're on the topic... doesn't the felt have a negative affect on the attributes mentioned above?

No more than the big spring loaded contraption the strings are mounted to, would be my guess. :D

• Members

I've never noticed any of my Bigsby'd guitars having a lack of sustain, so I would say no. The only guitar I've personally added a Bigsby to was a maple bodied custom tele, and being maple and weighing six hundred and thirty four pounds, it made zero difference in the before and after characteristics.

• Members

Like I said, I have one on my SG, and it sounds great...I noticed no loss in tone or sustain, actually, I think it may have increased a bit, because it increased the angle over the bridge a little. I also put on a roller tunamatic bridge so I wouldn't need to keep lubing the saddles...you will need to make sure that your guitar has a good setup...not burrs in the saddles and properly cut nut to ensure decent tuning stability. The vibramate worked great for me, and like I said, it can be removed in 5 or 10 minutes...if you go with the vibramate on the SG, make sure and get the shorter version so you don't have to trim your pickguard (larger pickgard...SG Standard)

• Members

Like I said, I have one on my SG, and it sounds great...I noticed no loss in tone or sustain, actually, I think it may have increased a bit, because it increased the angle over the bridge a little. I also put on a roller tunamatic bridge so I wouldn't need to keep lubing the saddles...you will need to make sure that your guitar has a good setup...not burrs in the saddles and properly cut nut to ensure decent tuning stability. The vibramate worked great for me, and like I said, it can be removed in 5 or 10 minutes...if you go with the vibramate on the SG, make sure and get the shorter version so you don't have to trim your pickguard (larger pickgard...SG Standard)

Which bridge did you use? I have the wilk on my bigsby'd Ibanez artist and it works great. I also didn't notice any effect on sustain. The attack was slightly mellower but I think that was due to the bridge, and actually I like the slightly mellower attack better.

• Members

I think installing a B5 on my SG may have increased the sustain as well. it is after, a fairly substantial chuck of metal that you're bolting on to the body

My feelings as well. Even if the sustain was reduced I think it's still worth it if you want the bigsby sound. Nothing else really sounds the same.

Archived