played two incredible acoustics today

Alchemist

• Members

a Boucher grand auditorium style with a slightly smaller body (not sure what you call those).... and a Taylor GA4... the boucher cost $1900 whereas the taylor was $1550.... now I am convinced I want one of the two but not sure which...

Boucher are handmade in Quebec and are fine instruments, but not as well known and I worry about a huge drop in value as soon as I buy it.... that wont be a problem with the Taylor...

the boucher had nicer harmonic complexity, but the taylor was no slouch... so now here is the real question, is $350 and a drop in value after purchasing worth that little bit extra in the tone? :cry:

I think I need to go out and try some Larivee's before commiting to either

• Members
a Boucher grand auditorium style with a slightly smaller body (not sure what you call those).... and a Taylor GA4... the boucher cost $1900 whereas the taylor was $1550.... now I am convinced I want one of the two but not sure which...

Boucher are handmade in Quebec and are fine instruments, but not as well known and I worry about a huge drop in value as soon as I buy it.... that wont be a problem with the Taylor...

the boucher had nicer harmonic complexity, but the taylor was no slouch... so now here is the real question, is $350 and a drop in value after purchasing worth that little bit extra in the tone?
:cry:

I think I need to go out and try some Larivee's before commiting to either

I would be proud to own either. Do you plan on selling later? If not, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm personally a big fan of the GA body. Dreads don't sit well on me. (I'm assuming the Taylor was a dread.) Go for the one that you like. At that price point, $350 isn't a huge difference, really. But if you like the Boucher better, then go for it.

Those are both way more expensive than what I an justify to myself. I'm going to get the Seagull Mini Jumbo, I think. It's also a Frenchie.

Either way, happy hunting.

EG

• Members

Was the GA4 one of the cedar/hog models? I played one. Great guitar. It was the first Taylor I didn't immediately hang back on the wall. I would try a Larrivee L body in the same price range for a fair comparison, either an L-05 (hog) or an L-09 (rosewood). Roughly comparable to the Taylor GA body, sort of in between a dread and an OM/000. Excellent for flatpicking, fingerstyle and just plain old strumming.

• Members

Was the GA4 one of the cedar/hog models? I played one. Great guitar. It was the first Taylor I didn't immediately hang back on the wall. I would try a Larrivee L body in the same price range for a fair comparison, either an L-05 (hog) or an L-09 (rosewood). Roughly comparable to the Taylor GA body, sort of in between a dread and an OM/000. Excellent for flatpicking, fingerstyle and just plain old strumming.

the GA4 is the spruce top with the onvangkol body.... the GA3 with sapele body wasnt bad either.... I am typically not a huge fan of the taylor sound but I really loved the GA4....

still gotta do more research on the boucher, it seems like a lot of money to pay for a small builder and I have read that there is some consistency issues with them.... although the one I played was certainly fantastic

• Members

the GA4 is the spruce top with the onvangkol body.... the GA3 with sapele body wasnt bad either.... I am typically not a huge fan of the taylor sound but I really loved the GA4....

still gotta do more research on the boucher, it seems like a lot of money to pay for a small builder and I have read that there is some consistency issues with them.... although the one I played was certainly fantastic

I just checked. I must have played the GA5, which is the cedar/mahogany model. Had much more bass and an overall warmer tone than the normal Taylor "voice" which I find much too shimmery. Might have been due to the cedar top, but I recall playing a sitka/rosewood version that had the same basic sound.

Personally, I would prefer a nice Martin OM-21, or one of the new M-38's, but those are a bit higher (new) than the above models. The Martin M-38

I tried was really unbelievable.

• Members

I just checked. I must have played the GA5, which is the cedar/mahogany model. Had much more bass and an overall warmer tone than the normal Taylor "voice" which I find much too shimmery. Might have been due to the cedar top, but I recall playing a sitka/rosewood version that had the same basic sound.

Personally, I would prefer a nice Martin OM-21, or one of the new M-38's, but those are a bit higher (new) than the above models. The Martin M-38

I tried was really unbelievable.

I like the Martin sound, I dont have very big hands though, and unfortunately I found a lot of their necks too chunky for me to really bond with them.... I will definitely have to do a bit more research before spending around the 2K range on an acoustic

• Members

I will definitely have to do a bit more research before spending around the 2K range on an acoustic

An excellent idea. The bad news is that you have a lot of choices at that price level, new and used. The good news is that you have a lot of choices at that price level, new and used.

Good luck!

BTW, the Martin "Standard" models, of which the OM-21 and M-38 are part, use the very nice and comfortable Martin "low profile" C shape neck, which is not too chunky at all. It's the Martin V necks I find too chunky, because I have such small hands too. You should try some of the Martin Standards too (or again) as part of your research.

• Members

An excellent idea. The bad news is that you have a lot of choices at that price level, new and used. The good news is that you have a lot of choices at that price level, new and used.

Good luck!

BTW, the Martin "Standard" models, of which the OM-21 and M-38 are part, use the very nice and comfortable Martin "low profile" C shape neck, which is not too chunky at all. It's the Martin V necks I find too chunky, because I have such small hands too. You should try some of the Martin Standards too (or again) as part of your research.

for sure..... I think this coming friday afternoon will be free.... and I will hit up some stores...

I still have that boucher in the back of my head, and will probably talk to the store about some financing options on it to ease the blow of the purchase.... I dont think it would be a problem given the {censored}ty economy, $2000 guitar sales are probably a rarity now (or probably of lesser frequency)....

Archived