My low E goes sharp when I play hard.

RJpilot

• Members

My Pacer is a great guitar but I guess I'm just not used to playing an un-recessed OFR. The strings sit so high away from the body that when I start jamming out I dig into the low E and it goes sharp. Its not noticeable when I fret but with open E the things just goes KKKKRRrraaaang. Do I need to train my myself not to use full-military-power when I play open E on this guitar. The action is set up high enough for no buzz. Should I lower it to give me a bit of buzz to quell the over-vibration? I have played around with pickup height. I don't think that is it.

Any Suggestions?

I like to play hard.

• Members

It goes sharp? That seems very odd. Put some lube on the nut, and the bridge saddle.

Not exactly what I meant...

It stays in tune. Its a floyd with a locking nut. Hit your low E hard and hear it go sharp. That is my problem but its very pronounced on this guitar for some reason.

• Members

It goes back in tune after the initial attack but I guess I just play too hard.

So it's the 'Bwwoooooooowwwww' sound that one gets from playing too hard? Maybe your strings are too light, or tuned too low.

• Members

So it's the 'Bwwoooooooowwwww' sound that one gets from playing too hard? Maybe your strings are too light, or tuned too low.

YES!!!

I use 9s now. So its a 42.

I just bought 2 10 packs of 9s too.:facepalm: I do like the bendability of the higher strings when I use 9s. I used 10s for the last 15 years and I played mostly acoustic for the last 3 years so maybe that is the problem I am having.

I guess for this guitar I'll go to the ma & pa store and but a couple heavy E strings

I switched to a lighter gauge because my hands and wrist started to give me trouble. I was looking to alleviate some stress in my fretting hand. Getting older sux and I'm only 32.

• Members

I've been having the same problem for quite a while.

After reading some info I found on the internet, I tried using a thicker gauge on the bottom strings and it has solved the problem.

Was using .10 - .46 now using .10 -.52

Here is a cool link I found that covers the issue and more.

http://www.endino.com/archive/tuningnightmares.html

Archived