Any Vox Tonelab users?

streetknight

• Members

I don't gig, but I like mine a lot. I run mine into the FX loop return of a Peavey Prowler tube amp. I seem to get the best tones and the most connected feel like that.

You can absolutely run it either into an AMP, a PA system or powered monitors. Heck, you can run it into your computer if you want to.

• Members

I don't gig, but I like mine a lot. I run mine into the FX loop return of a Peavey Prowler tube amp. I seem to get the best tones and the most connected feel like that.

You can absolutely run it either into an AMP, a PA system or powered monitors. Heck, you can run it into your computer if you want to.

Are you using it for just the effects going thru your amp, or are you using the models too?

Just ondering, I have a peavely classic 50 that has an effects loop :idea:

• Members

I actually use a minimal amount of effects. I use the amp models, the cabinet models and reverb pretty much. On some of the lower gain amps, I'll use a little of the Tubescreamer or the RAT stomp box models.

Running it into the FX return basically bypasses everything except the power section of the amp. There is a switch on the Tonelab and most modelers where you tell it if you are running it into the front end of an amp or to a board or mixer. I find I get the best results setting that switch to board/mixer and then running it into the FX return.

I'm mostly a clean-ish to a lower gain player and this is where the Tonelab excels in my opinion. The POD and Digitech stuff is a bit better for high gain, but for lower gain amp models and most models when the gain is set to 10% - 30% or so, the Tonelab is the best I've used.

• Members

I'm on my second one - version, that is. I bought the SE when it came out, loved it. I sold it and bought the LE when it came out, primarily because with only one control pedal, it's more compact (it also had a few feature changes that I liked). You can go direct to a PA with it - it has cab modeling - and it works pretty well. I personally wouldn't do it - I gotta have an actual amp - but I've seen others do it. My 14-YO has an LE and plays in a youth band at our church: space is limited, so he goes directly from the LE to the PA. It's certainly not his preference - he normally plays through a half-stack - but he gets a good sound.

I mostly use mine for practice at home and for recording.

• Members

Bumping this...

I love my Rebel, but I need something with more tone option and faster switching...

The distortions on my ME-50... stink. Thinking about replacing it with another multi FX pedal.

Edit: I am looking for something for live work.

At rehearsal or for recording I have time to coax all the awesomeness out of my amp, but being one channel makes it a bit of a pain in live settings.

• Members

I have one and have run it through tube power sections, in front of tube amps, with a Powerblock in the loop return, a Hafler G150 power amp, computer speakers, and headphones. I am currently looking to buy a powered speaker and run it that way.

So far, I have preferred either the tube power section or with headphones. For ease of use in the future (I might start gigging again) I am looking to pick up a powered speaker and tweak my tones at home so that I can use it as a monitor live, while going direct to the PA for the FOH.

• Members

I agree with above statements. I have a Tonelab and here's what I know:

--it excels at cleans to low gain. The AC15 sim kills.

--it's my tool of choice for digital recording. So easy. Sounds great.

--I also use it at home for practice by running it into the effects in on a tube amp. This way it hits the 6L6s to warm it up. Otherwise, it sounds too sterile to my ears in an "amp" setting. Sounds great with a tube power amp, though.

YMMV.

• Members

I agree with above statements. I have a Tonelab and here's what I know:

--it excels at cleans to low gain. The AC15 sim kills.

--it's my tool of choice for digital recording. So easy. Sounds great.

--I also use it at home for practice by running it into the effects in on a tube amp. This way it hits the 6L6s to warm it up. Otherwise, it sounds too sterile to my ears in an "amp" setting. Sounds great with a tube power amp, though.

YMMV.

How's the reverb?

Archived