Is $2000 a good price

Rumble Bass

• Members

Maybe, if it's legit.

Some of the counterfeit Gibsons are hard to tell from the real thing. It's only a matter of time before they (counterfeiters) start paying more attention to detail. If they start putting on two screws on the truss rod cover instead of the obviously fake three screws or they start putting on realistic serial numbers, it's really going to be hard to tell the real Gibson from the fake.

• Members

Maybe, if it's legit.

Some of the counterfeit Gibsons are hard to tell from the real thing. It's only a matter of time before they (counterfeiters) start paying more attention to detail. If they start putting on two screws on the truss rod cover instead of the obviously fake three screws or they start putting on realistic serial numbers, it's really going to be hard to tell the real Gibson from the fake.

They've been doing two screws for a while now.

• Members

I'm going to look at in person, so is there anything I should look for other than 2 screws on the truss rod cover?

As mentioned above the serial numbers are usually jacked up and off center a little.

Watch out for random Zak Wylde stamps on the back of regular les pauls.

The other one I saw on CL had the Custom shop stamp, with the Zakk stamp, and the crooked serial number all on the same guitar. See if you can get the serial number from him and check that first.

• Members

I'm going to look at in person, so is there anything I should look for other than 2 screws on the truss rod cover?

3 screws= fake

2 screws = fake or real. Look over the rest of it before deciding

Fretboard wood- real LPCs have ebony fretboards. Most, if not all, of the copies I've seen have rosewood boards.

Nibs over fret ends- The binding on a Gibson covers the ends of the fret, like this (my Gibby SG Classic)

IMG_3798.jpg

On counterfiets, like genuine Epiphones, the frets are put on after the binding, so there is no nib on the ends. This is a real epi, not a fake Gibson, but you get the idea.

N_SlashGT7.jpg

I'm sure there's more, but this is a start

• Members

knob placement, gibson logo lined up with the tuners, diamond inlay even,headstock correct shape, "nibs" on the fret ends, if you need a close up pic of a gibby headstock w/the inlays let me know and I'll post a pic for you. good luck, hope she's the "one":wave:

edit: huh, I didn't even think about the ebony fretboard

• Members

without seeing it I'd have to say NO it's not. need more info...what model, custom shop, limited ED, standard, studio, supreme, RI, R8, R9, what...?

Where I come from, "Gibson Les Paul Custom" is a model name. :poke:

• Members

Where I come from, "Gibson Les Paul Custom" is a model name. :poke:

It could be a Les Paul Custom (production model) or 57 Reissue Black Beauty (custom shop) from that year. One has a maple top, the other is all mahogany, among various other differences.

I bought a new 57RI in 1999 for $2000, the production models could be had for less at the time.

With today's prices $2000 could be an ok price if it's in really good shape...

• Members

It could be a Les Paul Custom (production model) or 57 Reissue Black Beauty (custom shop) from that year. One has a maple top, the other is all mahogany, among various other differences.

I bought a new 57RI in 1999 for $2000, the production models could be had for less at the time.

With today's prices $2000 could be an ok price if it's in really good shape...

thank you:wave:

Archived