The dangers of Ebay shipping

gearmike

• Members

So I ordered an Apple Remote on Ebay earlier this week.

Today this showed up in the mail! :eek:

3183132970_2946de7a54.jpg?v=0

[Having trouble figuring out how to embed the actual photo not just the link]

Anyways, the only thing I've changed in the photo is I've blacked out the address info...other than that, it's exactly as I received it!

• Members

That has to be the most pathetic packing job I've ever seen. They stuck a piece of hardware in a paper envelope? You should be getting a refund or else promising a negative feedback. You're lucky that it wasn't an expensive item.

I've used Ebay for years now without a hitch, but I'm careful about who I deal with and I always get shipping insurance.

• Members

That has to be the most pathetic packing job I've ever seen. They stuck a piece of hardware in a paper envelope? You should be getting a refund or else promising a negative feedback. You're lucky that it wasn't an expensive item.

I've used Ebay for years now without a hitch, but I'm careful about who I deal with and I always get shipping insurance.

Thanks for pointing out the fallacy in the way the item was packaged rather than blaming the Post Office. The item was sent using a first class "letter" mail envelope rather than being packaged in a more appropriate parcel envelope.

What's even funnier is that the post lady didn't even flinch when she delivered half and envelope!

With the "billions" of letter pieces that the USPS moves across the country daily, things like this happen. With hundreds of customers, and perhaps thousands to some carriers, postal carriers are on very strict delivery schedules and cannot really get involved with each individual customer along their routes; they would never complete a day's work if they took the time to console every customer complaint as they happened.

The carriers become insensitive, or the yget consumed in the personal issues that develop with their customers. That's not to say that the carrier didn't care. She/he might have been given disciplinary action for failing to complete her/his route in a timely manner the week before by her/his station manager; who knows?

From the photo posted, this was a regular paper envelope that had a bulky object inside of it whenever it was entered into a piece of automated equipment for processing. With the mail moving between two conveyor belts at the average rate of 40,000 pieces per hour, whenever the letter went to go around a turnstyle (a roller on bearings), the item was caught between the bearings and rollers that move the belts that carry the mail.

I notice that the envelope was stamped with something in red ink; I'm guessing that it might have said "hand cancel" or "non-machineable". If so, the letter should never have been entered into automated processing equipment. It should have been held out by the station clerk that stamped it and placed into "manual sort" only mails... This does not excuse the fact that the mailer failed to use proper packaging techniques when mailing your item.

You can contact your local post office and file a claim for damaged mails. Each post office has a holding area where items lost in the mails are kept in hopes that someone can rightfully identify lost goods. Sometimes the items are simply separated from their packaging and not damaged; just lost. Worth a try!

• Members

Yeah, for the three dollars I spent, I wouldn't be losing sleep over it if they didn't send me a new one.

Ani - I figured that it caught in some piece of machinery and simply ripped the envelope. The red stamping is illegible, so I couldn't tell you what it says.

• Members

Yeah, for the three dollars I spent, I wouldn't be losing sleep over it if they didn't send me a new one.

Ani - I figured that it caught in some piece of machinery and simply ripped the envelope. The red stamping is illegible, so I couldn't tell you what it says.

Archived