Xaviere XV-560 semi-hollow with P-90's........

the new guy

• Members

You should sig this quote. It's awesome.

I don't know about sigging it. I'm not sure if I am proud or ashamed of my lack of will power at buying these guitars. I ended up going with the 900 anyway. I like the bridge better and they didn't have the 910 in a burst. And I love the fat pat pickups.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Got mine...

Before....I don't care too much for the P-90s so sometime in the

future I may swap them for Gibson Mini HBs

560-3.JPG

And after...added a Stetsbar Tremelo...it WAILS (and cost just as much as the guitar!)

560-9.JPG

Recorded this tune with it too...

• Members

I'm considering a 560 and was looking around for reviews and vids only to find an inverse relationship between how nice these guitars look and the general level of skill of their owners.

The kid on youtube with the 560 and the SCXD manages to beat "bad moon rising" to death a la a rank beginner.

And RDR, dude, if you're going to try and play jazz -- PLEASE learn to play over the chords (arpeggios, substitutions, and basic 2,5,1 turns). All the bad notes you played by sticking in the Am penta scale take away from any sense of phrasing you're attempting.

Does anyone who can play jazz have a video or 1st person review of the 550 or 560?

Some of those videos are just hard to listen to and kind of do a disservice to the guitar...

• Members

I'm considering a 560 and was looking around for reviews and vids only to find an inverse relationship between how nice these guitars look and the general level of skill of their owners.

The kid on youtube with the 560 and the SCXD manages to beat "bad moon rising" to death a la a rank beginner.

And RDR, dude, if you're going to try and play jazz -- PLEASE learn to play over the chords (arpeggios, substitutions, and basic 2,5,1 turns). All the bad notes you played by sticking in the Am penta scale take away from any sense of phrasing you're attempting.

Does anyone who can play jazz have a video or 1st person review of the 550 or 560?

Some of those videos are just hard to listen to and kind of do a disservice to the guitar...

Wow, that's harsh. :facepalm: I'm not disagreeing with you if you're evaluating from a professional standard, but most of us are amateurs here and either one of them are way better than me. I appreciate the chance to hear what the guitars sound like and to share our playing without harsh criticism.

• Members

:blah:

Woah, easy there, champ.:cop:

I for one appreciate any videos sincerely posted in which the poster tries to convey their playing/ evaluation of a specific guitar to the best of their ability. Are they Jimmy Page or Wes Montgomery? No, but neither am I, and I know at least a little more about the guitar than I would have without viewing the video.

To all who post pics or video (talking to you, RDRGuitars), thanks.:thu:

• Members

@ Sheraton and Preacher (and the group)

Sorry guys. Probably too late to not sound like and a$$, but my post was hardly a nice intro to the thread. I appreciate everyone's comments so far in this thread and their music as I evaluate whether to grab a 550 or 560.

What I will say is that learning today with guitars like the Xaviere's and with online lessons and forums like this and places like youtube, that when I started 20+ years ago it was like uphill in the snow to school each day. Sometimes I forget what it's like to be at the beginning of the road, but if you're not learning something new everyday as a player (especially in jazz), ready to be the lifetime student, then you should play guitar hero...I guess for the moment of my last post I had forgotten that too.

I also had some good (if direct) teachers and fellow players who passed on their musical wisdom.

Want the most burning and consistent blues lines...? Learn a few forms of the dominant 7th arpeggio. (also learn equal forms for maj/maj7th, min/min7th... get to the extensions later)

Want to know how to put interesting grooves together? Know your basic harmonic families (maj/min/dom) and what makes them so (their 3rds and 7ths) -- and then how they layout on the fingerboard.

Want to solo over any changes and always be on? Come to be intimate with how scales and arpeggios relate to chords and you will find that soloing becomes very controllable... you be able to sound like how you want to sound without guessing or getting lost.

Want to play jazz-blues... and ultimately jazz? Practice, practice, practice your swing eight rhythm (think "billie's bounce" by Bird -- blues in F) and put all of the above suggestions to work -- and say only and exactly what you want to say... "phrasing".

Want to know where you and your instrument fit in a band? Play with a band! Play with friends *a lot*. Except when playing by yourself *you will virtually never full strum your guitar on every beat* -- never. Play with backing tracks, loops, CDs, youtube or simple changes with friends. Learn how to be nuanced and fit in where you hear other players in your idiom fitting in. Less is more...

Want to grow as a musician? Understand the history of your instrument and the music that grew around it. *Listen* to tons of music -- the stuff you love and stuff you've never heard. Playing guitar? Listen to horns, Miles & Bird. Listen to keys and piano: Herbie Hancock and Ahmad Jamal. Want to hear some amazing guitar players you may have never heard of? Try Grant Green, Kenny Burrell, Barney Kessel, Tommy Emmanuel, Tal Farlow... and come to understand why Charlie Christian is the grandfather of our instrument and why some many jazzers love Wes Montgomery.

It's all good and hopefully soon, it'll be coming from an Xaviere...

• Members

i'm glad you feel that way. you really are a hipster aren't you! :idea:

• Members

@ Sheraton and Preacher (and the group)

Sorry guys. Probably too late to not sound like and a$$, but my post was hardly a nice intro to the thread. I appreciate everyone's comments so far in this thread and their music as I evaluate whether to grab a 550 or 560.

What I will say is that learning today with guitars like the Xaviere's and with online lessons and forums like this and places like youtube, that when I started 20+ years ago it was like uphill in the snow to school each day. Sometimes I forget what it's like to be at the beginning of the road, but if you're not learning something new everyday as a player (especially in jazz), ready to be the lifetime student, then you should play guitar hero...I guess for the moment of my last post I had forgotten that too.

I also had some good (if direct) teachers and fellow players who passed on their musical wisdom.

Want the most burning and consistent blues lines...? Learn a few forms of the dominant 7th arpeggio. (also learn equal forms for maj/maj7th, min/min7th... get to the extensions later)

Want to know how to put interesting grooves together? Know your basic harmonic families (maj/min/dom) and what makes them so (their 3rds and 7ths) -- and then how they layout on the fingerboard.

Want to solo over any changes and always be on? Come to be intimate with how scales and arpeggios relate to chords and you will find that soloing becomes very controllable... you be able to sound like how you want to sound without guessing or getting lost.

Want to play jazz-blues... and ultimately jazz? Practice, practice, practice your swing eight rhythm (think "billie's bounce" by Bird -- blues in F) and put all of the above suggestions to work -- and say only and exactly what you want to say... "phrasing".

Want to know where you and your instrument fit in a band? Play with a band! Play with friends *a lot*. Except when playing by yourself *you will virtually never full strum your guitar on every beat* -- never. Play with backing tracks, loops, CDs, youtube or simple changes with friends. Learn how to be nuanced and fit in where you hear other players in your idiom fitting in. Less is more...

Want to grow as a musician? Understand the history of your instrument and the music that grew around it. *Listen* to tons of music -- the stuff you love and stuff you've never heard. Playing guitar? Listen to horns, Miles & Bird. Listen to keys and piano: Herbie Hancock and Ahmad Jamal. Want to hear some amazing guitar players you may have never heard of? Try Grant Green, Kenny Burrell, Barney Kessel, Tommy Emmanuel, Tal Farlow... and come to understand why Charlie Christian is the grandfather of our instrument and why some many jazzers love Wes Montgomery.

It's all good and hopefully soon, it'll be coming from an Xaviere...

for the sake of good fun, post a clip of your playing. :wave:

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Screw Hipster man!

I thought it was some great playing. I enjoyed listening to your band. Keep on rocking.

Thanks man, thats not my band I was improving. I played in the actual wedding ceremony and they just called me in to jam with them. I don't mind the harsh criticism. I'm THE ONE WHO ACTUALLY POSTED A VIDEO OF MY PLAYING! I know im no pro but damn. Post a video of your playing if you want me to respect the knowledge you think you possess.

To everyone one else who commented. THANKS - I just bought a Douglas WNO 650 from rondo music. Hopefully its a good buy. Anyways thanks guys and ttyl.

Archived