Xaviere XV-560 semi-hollow with P-90's........

the new guy

• Members

Does anyone actually have one of these yet ?

http://store.guitarfetish.com/xvqutopseho.html

Yes, I tried the search, to no avail............

I'm thinking very hard about this one :

yhst-50206111187217_2027_3667059.jpg

If you've got one, how do you like it ?

Pics ?

This will sound bizarre to many of you, but when I get it I just might yank the tune-o-matic bridge, and slap a wraparound on there.

If you're a fan of wraparounds, you'll understand............

Almost forgot,
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE !

A wraparound will be ALOT of hassle. The post to post spacing of a wraparound is different to that of the tune-o-matic. So you'll have 4 holes to fill and re-finish and then you'll need to drill two more for the new wraparound! A fair bit of work. I do agree though, nothing feels or looks better than a good wraparound bridge.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A wraparound will be ALOT of hassle. The post to post spacing of a wraparound is different to that of the tune-o-matic. So you'll have 4 holes to fill and re-finish and then you'll need to drill two more for the new wraparound! A fair bit of work. I do agree though, nothing feels or looks better than a good wraparound bridge.

Yes, I'm aware of the difference in post spacing, and you're probably right about the "hassle".

But nothing worthwhile ever comes easy, eh ?

I've played a fair amount of LP's and LP clones and I could never get comfortable with the TOM bridge.

The guitars I've played with wraparound bridges just feel better to me, and although it could be my imagination, I think they sound better as well.

Anyway, I've done a fair amount of guitar repairs and modifications over the last 20 years or so, and this is something I've always wanted to try.

What's the worst that could happen.....................

• Members

Well, someone has to go first...........

Looking forward to pic's and a full report.

well dude it just came in, good timing too. I have a practice tonight at a rehersal studio. the guitar has a moderate set-up "very low" action, i mean they did a great job but pretty much nothing beats a custom setup with a gibson certified nuthead. LOL well the finish is great although i see slight blems on the F-holes but no biggie the case fits like a glove and you can tell that they upgraded it a little bit (material wise, better plush and sustain pads). Still at work can't wait to try it out. If i can i'll post some pics. Rock on guys!:wave:

• Members

Jay-

I'm looking all over the website for black p-90 pickup cover's, to replace the cream ones.

Do you not have them, or am I looking in the wrong places?

Also, how thick is the finish on these ?

I found these, im considering buying them myself.

http://www.amazon.com/Style-Pickup-Covers-Pieces-Black/dp/B000JGQKGS/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1226346559&sr=1-30

• Members

well dude it just came in, good timing too. I have a practice tonight at a rehersal studio. the guitar has a moderate set-up "very low" action, i mean they did a great job but pretty much nothing beats a custom setup with a gibson certified nuthead. LOL well the finish is great although i see slight blems on the F-holes but no biggie the case fits like a glove and you can tell that they upgraded it a little bit (material wise, better plush and sustain pads). Still at work can't wait to try it out. If i can i'll post some pics. Rock on guys!
:wave:

Great ! Can't wait for the full review and pic's, of course.

Which color did you get ? I keep going back and forth between the black and Tobacco Burst

Also found some P90 covers at Stew-Mac :

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Parts/P-90_Pickup_Cover.html

• Members

Yeah, RDR, we're definitely going to need to see some photos!

Well guys Jay and his team have done it again! Im still giddy from last night's practice. I played it on a PA system through my line 6 xt and this shit is INSANE! Also ran it through a mesa halfstack and freaking blew my mind away. Sweet Lows and scorching highs. Also tried it with my OCD pedal and i was playing Jeff Beck songs like i was possesed or something. Incredible. I dont have any videos yet but believe me I will be posting them. Also straight out of curiosity i patched it through my Marshall acoustic amp, lol i know very unorthodox but i got the cleanest, warmest tone. These pups are very versatile, I was playing pop rock, blues, latin rock and Jazz and they are amazing. Not to mention having people constantly asking me where i got this guitar and for what price it makes me chuckle.

CONS:

I do wish that guitar fetish have better chrome plating, you can see defects in the coating but overall it doesnt affect the playability.

The bridge pickup is slightly lower than the neck pickup so when i switch you can notice the drop in volume. I tried fixing it but ill let my tech do it.

Some really tiny blems. I've spotted like two but no biggie. I wish that GF would really make them a little more custom like all gold hardware and a tailpiece complete with a pickguard, that will so make my day + i dont mind paying extra for the upgrades if they came installed already, I guess i ll do it myself.

OVERALL:

Cant go wrong for the price. I know that This little beast will impress my friends who own custom semi hollow Gibsons. Believe me This sounds like a Gibson but in a totally different class. I give it a 9.8

here are some pics

th_1110081357_02.jpg

th_1110081357_03.jpg

th_1110081516a_01.jpg

th_1110081517c.jpg

th_1110081516d_01.jpg

• Members

Nice review-

BUT- if any of you guys have ANY issue with the guitar- chrome plating or whatever- Just contact me and I will make i right...as always.

Given the pricing there's no way I can really be upgrading thee in house- of course for the price of the guitar and some upgrade parts you're still HALF the price of anything remotely close- remember these are SOLID 3/4" maple tops NOT veneer...

Jay

• Members

Nice review-

BUT- if any of you guys have ANY issue with the guitar- chrome plating or whatever- Just contact me and I will make i right...as always.

Given the pricing there's no way I can really be upgrading thee in house- of course for the price of the guitar and some upgrade parts you're still HALF the price of anything remotely close- remember these are SOLID 3/4" maple tops NOT veneer...

Jay

JAY, like i said, YOU'RE THE MAN :thu:

• Members

Very nice................beautiful guitar.

Thanks for the pic's and the review !

Is it just me, or are those pickups jacked right up against the strings ?

Funny you should say that i thought the same but I just plugged it in and I forgot about it. lol I'll let my tech deal with it. He left my XV-500 sounding between a PRS and LP Freaking insane!

:rawk:

Archived