v-pick

cincy_cosmo

• Members

No. The material is very similar if not identical (the Stubbies are made of Lexan).

I don't normally join in with threads on picks and espcially when talking about our picks, but if I may, please let me inject something here.

I played Dunlop Big Sutbbies for a number of years and I am very familiar with them. They are indeed a Lexan pick. Please understand that cast acrylic, which is what V-Picks are made of, are NOTHING even similar to Lexan picks. The tone is different and the feel is dramatically different! Lexan does not warm up to your touch or give you the gripping action of cast acrylic. There are 8 different grades of cast acrylic. I have gone thru them and have chosen 2 that I like. I have chosen them due to their characteristics. Lively, full tone and warm feel that actually sticks to your fingers when they warm to the touch. This is what V-Picks are all about.

These two materials even sound different when you drop them on a table. I can demo that and you can hear it over the phone if you call me. The Lexan pick is real bright and brittle sounding when they bounce. The Cast Acrylic pick has a grunt to it when it bounces. This is reflected in the tone when playing.

Please let me wrap up my soapbox speach by saying, Cast Acrylic is NOTHING like Lexan. So, please do not think that if you have tried a Big Stubbie, then you have tried a V-Pick. Nothing could be farther from the truth. They are worlds away from each other!

I have just put 2 new videos on youtube about this very topic.......I also demonstrate the sound difference when dropping them on a wooden table.

Thanks for letting me join in.

Vinni

• Members

I don't normally join in with threads on picks and espcially when talking about our picks, but if I may, please let me inject something here.

I played Dunlop Big Sutbbies for a number of years and I am very familiar with them. They are indeed a Lexan pick. Please understand that cast acrylic, which is what V-Picks are made of, are NOTHING even similar to Lexan picks. The tone is different and the feel is dramatically different! Lexan does not warm up to your touch or give you the gripping action of cast acrylic. There are 8 different grades of cast acrylic. I have gone thru them and have chosen 2 that I like. I have chosen them due to their characteristics. Lively, full tone and warm feel that actually sticks to your fingers when they warm to the touch. This is what V-Picks are all about.

These two materials even sound different when you drop them on a table. I can demo that and you can hear it over the phone if you call me. The lexan is real bright and brittle sounding when they bounce. The Cast Acrylic has a grunt to it when it bounces. This is reflected in the tone when playing.

Please let me wrap up my soapbox speach by saying, Cast Acrylic is NOTHING like Lexan. So, please do not think that if you have tried a Big Stubbie, then you have tried a V-Pick. Nothing could be farther from the truth. They are worlds away from each other!

I have just put 2 new videos on youtube about this very topic.......

Thanks for letting me join in.

Vinni

Cast acrylic may be chemically very different from Lexan - I'll take your word for it - and a chemical difference is of course a matter involving an objective fact. The rest of your contentions are subjective, i.e., opinion. I played Big Stubbies for years, and after trying a number of different V-Pick shapes and thicknesses, the ones of similar thickness to a given Stubby yield very similar tone in my opinion, after allowing for the generally sharper attack of the Stubby, since it a) lacks the bevel found on thicker (i.e., comparable) V-Picks, and b) has a sharper point than thicker - and thus comparable - V-Picks. From a brittleness standpoint, the thin V-Pick large triangles are probably the most brittle picks I've come across, and I have a collection of several thousand picks (literally).

I'm not saying V-Picks aren't "good": picks are a very personal preference. And I think a few of the thick V-Picks are nice (personally, I don't think the material lends itself as well to thinner picks). But I doubt a dedicated Stubby user will find much difference in feel - apart from the shape, since last time I checked V-Pick didn't offer any pick that closely resembles any of the the 3 Stubby styles - or tone.

• Members

my brother!

but honestly...for some reason, i have been playing with my fingers so much in the past year that a pick feels awkward no matter what...seriously, it is all {censored}ed up...i never thought I would be like Buckingham...and i'm not really, but that is how it's been going down...

My brother's brother!

I can't play with a pick for nothing! I've bought all sorts trying to find the one, but in the end they just sit around lookin' cool.

• Members

Noooo... but I would like to try a Blue Chip.

I'd like to try a Blue Chip, but I haven't been able to find anyone who can describe what makes them special. At the website they talk about them having a tacky feel from being "self-lubricating" and such, but nothing that really helps distinguish them from what they resemble: a typical celluloid pick (which I certainly understand they're not). I really would like to get one, but at $35, I gotta have some idea of what makes them special. Even Wegen and Red Bear Tortis picks aren't that expensive, and it's pretty easy to see what makes them different even before you buy.

• Members

last time I checked
V-Pick didn't offer any pick that closely resembles any of the the 3 Stubby styles - or tone

I know, english is not my native language, so maybe I misunderstand it, but didn't You just contradict Yourself? :confused:

• Members

I'd like to try a Blue Chip, but I haven't been able to find anyone who can describe what makes them special. At the website they talk about them having a tacky feel from being "self-lubricating" and such, but nothing that really helps distinguish them from what they resemble: a typical celluloid pick (which I certainly understand they're not). I really would like to get one, but at $35, I gotta have some idea of what makes them special. Even Wegen and Red Bear Tortis picks aren't that expensive, and it's pretty easy to see what makes them different even before you buy.

I have several V-Picks and several Red Bear picks. I like them all. I would not mind spending a little more for a Blue Chip, but not w/o trying it out. If I could try one risk free and I liked it enough, I would pay for it. Anyone here tried them or could give a description? Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I started this thread a few weeks ago and I wanted to post my observations about V-picks after using them for awhile. First off the clear color has been a problem in that I have lost one V-pick already. I may find it someday but who knows.

The picks have become more and more natural feeling. Maybe they are breaking in...maybe I'm just getting used to them. The shape is really great if you are trilling a string (mandolin style). I THINK, emphasis on THINK, I play faster with them but I can not quantitize it.

They are a bit bright sounding...sometimes it works for me, sometimes it doesn't. The vpick seems to not like light, half hearted strumming. Pass too slowly over the string and you will get a buzzy attack that you don't hear on other picks. Play it like you mean it and they work really really well.

Overall they work well and they have become my pick of choice. I have like tons of Planet Waves picks (the first ones) and I need to find a new home for them.

• Members

I bought some cuz I kinda like to try new "gimmicks". After 40 some years of using nothing but 351 heavy, I was surprised how the v-pick felt comfortable right off the bat. I ordered some large lite pointed yesterday. They seem to be the right one for me.

Archived