Gibson/Baldwin Signature Series LP vs. Epiphone LP Standard

dwerlin

• Members
I went and checked them out when they were first released at Best Buy.

The pickups were crooked' date=' the fretwork was awful, playability was marginal. I'm not positive but I believe the body is plywood.
I didn't plug it in but I didn't have to. Just playing it for 10 seconds you can tell it's a toy.

I have played the Agiles and they are good guitars.[/quote']you are an idiot, i have seen actual "Gibson" les pauls with worse fretwork hanging new in stores ( even seen CHibsons that are better made than the real gibsons but that is a different topic of conversation). as an FYI i have an epiphone les paul standard Plus top pro, and a gibson/baldwin les paul, i dont own a gibson because i am not going to pay an outrageous price for a piece of junk because of a name on a headstock.another imortant note is epi les paul standard is set neck the baldwin is bolt on so they are 2 different animals. currently in 2015 the gibson/baldwin les pauls are worth up to $300.00 depending on condition and all of the ones i have seen in the last 10 years have been really good and i can only assume that is because the bad ones have all been scrapped.most recent one sold was on fleabay and the finish on it was in really rough shape and it sold for 122.xx + 30.xx shipping ( and thaqt was with NO case), so one in near mint shape with a HSC ( or hardshell case) would be worth the $300.00 i mentioned earlier mint shape with gig bag say 250 to 275, rough shape with hsc 200 to 240 rough shape with gig bag 175 to 195.i know it is an OLD post i am necroing but i needed to speak up because i am tired of people opinions spouting complete BS because they are brainwashed with name brand propoganda.i have seen both good and bad from both expensive and name brand instruments and what i have noticed is that ( as an example gibson) has such a huge fan base and the name is so well known that they are letting their quailty slip to early chines years when quality sucked, whats more gibson can get away with it because the people that get them will simply resell it for almost ( if not exactly) what they paid for it because of the name on the headstock and keep repeating the process till they get one they like BUT even though this is going on and the used market is flooded on occasions with gibsons the used market price doesnt go down because of the name. so flame if you want but the gibson/baldwins you find today are really good and that is a fact based on my personal experiences.

• Members
Gibson Education had several types of these manufactured and sold.
For example Best Buy models were a Cherry Burst Les Paul with Carved Top and a Red SG model' date=' while for Circuit City they had a Black Les Paul (no carved top). I also saw non-carved top Les Pauls show up (in Blue Burst colour) but don't remember the store that carried them. They even had a Les Paul Junior type that they made and sold at Toys R Us!

The Best Buy models were the "best of the group" in terms of features and manufacturing but... BUT.... only one in ten were made well.
MANY had been damaged in shipping and sat on the shelf in closed thin cardboard box showing broken switches, etc. and MANY were just poorly made, you could see pencil marks where they made wood cuts, fretboard wood discoloured or pitted, or fret wire ends that would rip the flesh right off of you!

I took the time to go through EVERY one on the shelf (did this 4 seperate times over a 2 month period) and I found 2 really nice Les Pauls and one really nice SG. I put 1 Les Paul and the SG in storage immediately with packaging in tact and I will ebay them in 20 years!

As to the one remaining Les Paul - I play it on a regular basis.
It's a nice guitar and has had no issues (it's even seen pro studio time).

It has a Maple Neck (bolted on), Carved Top (undisclosed wood), plastic Jack Plate, and 2 NICE sounding un-covered humbuckers. The bridge is NOT plastic, it is metal (chromed) but it is not the standard "Tune-o-matic". The bridge is a wrap-around tailpiece bridge with non-adjustable intonation spacers.

It needed a setup to adjsut string height and I immediately replaced the strings with real Gibson Britewire strings (ultra-lites).

It plays and sounds beautful, and I am not afraid to let my son mess around with it.

For the record - I own a 1985 Gibson LP Standard, a 2007 Gibson Custom built LP with carved mahogany top, a 1969 Gibson SG Special, a 2004 Gibson SG Standard, a 1973 Gibson SG Bass, and also 3 2007 Gibson Faded Series (LP, SG, and SG Bass). I also have a 1962 National Valpro, 1963 Fender Strat, and about 15 other guitars (ovation, epiphone, fender, Squier, ibanez, washburn, etc.)

I don't judge guitars by name, I judge by quality and sound!

While this guitar is FAR from top of the line, if you take the time to check one out, play it, and are lucky, you might get a good guitar cheap.

This LP sounds different from my others, and has come in handy when adding layers of guitars in to my recordings.

But be carefull, MOST OF THEM WERE CRAP![/quote']your description of the gibson/baldwins fret and flesh ripping sound more like you are describing an actual "gibson" ( to which i have seen MANY hanging new in stores with flesh ripping frets). fyi i have a cherry sunburst baldwin les paul and i actually took it to guitar center one day and had a couple of the employees there compare it to a "gibson" les paul standard they had hanging on the wall ( priced at $4599.99 i might add) and both employees like my baldwin les paul better than the name brand "gibson". if you think that "gibson" is better then you are obviously brainwashed, people buy gibsons based on name and rep of quality ( which has been slipping for a number of years now), yet people will still pay the outrageous prices for a "gibson" and to be honest if i could afford one i would to simply because i know i could sell it to someone else for almost if not the same amount i paid for it because it is a "Gibson".

• Members

Every single one of those cheapo dime store Baldwin and Maestro geetars that I've seen were rickety plastic coated objects that only resembled a geetar at two paces. An up close inspection and a test drive will reveal these are indeed crimes against humanity.

Archived