Why has there never been a Buddy Holly signature Fender Stratocaster?

Midcitysaint

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All trolling, goofing, etc. aside, there are only a handful of people in rock and roll history who were not only performers, but truly visionaries. The Beatles, Dylan, Pete Townshend, Prince (maybe). Buddy Holly was one of these. It breaks my heart that we never got to find out what he might have done.

Can I have whatever you're smoking? Buddy Holly was three chord pop. I guess he was mildly entertaining, but I-IV-V is hardly visionary.

• Members

Can I have whatever you're smoking? Buddy Holly was three chord pop. I guess he was mildly entertaining, but I-IV-V is hardly visionary.

Ok moron. He was the first to write, arrange, and produce his own stuff. He wasn't an industry puppet like Elvis, he changed the rules. This is not negotiable, like I said......every major artist in history will tell you about the importance of Buddy Holly. You're either really young, or......forget it, it's not worth it.

• Members

Buddy Holly may not have been a technical guitar playing God, but he was one of the first white people to understand the value of and play "race music" to white audiences in the bigoted south, hell...the bigoted United States, during the '50s. He was so good at it that he was one of, if not THE first, white guy to play the Apollo Theatre, where he killed.

He's one of the very few people responsible for the crossover of black music to white audiences. Without him there wouldn't even BE rock & roll as we know it.

If that's not visionary I don't know what is.

• Members

Many do not understand that everything he accomplished was in a far too short span. Had he not got on the plane, his relevance would be much more vindicated by everyone in the music world. Including the Brilliant minds over at Fender that are pushing price hikes and beat up guitars, instead of honoring an icon.

• Members

Buddy Holly may not have been a technical guitar playing God, but he was one of the first white people to understand the value of and play "race music" to white audiences in the bigoted south, hell...the bigoted United States, during the '50s. He was so good at it that he was one of, if not THE first, white guy to play the Apollo Theatre, where he killed.

He's one of the very few people responsible for the crossover of black music to white audiences. Without him there wouldn't even BE rock & roll as we know it.

If that's not visionary I don't know what is.

Yeah. Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, they didn't do anything to cross the racial barrier. :rolleyes:

"Without him there wouldn't even BE rock & roll as we know it."

That's just plain goofy.

• Members

Ok moron. He was the first to write, arrange, and produce his own stuff.

Yeah. Nobody wrote, arranged and produced their own music before him.

Seriously, have you guys completely taken leave of your senses?

• Members
Yeah. Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, they didn't do anything to cross the racial barrier.
:rolleyes:

"Without him there wouldn't even BE rock & roll as we know it."

That's just plain goofy.

Allow me to help, since you seem to have the reading comprehension of a 3 year-old.

"Buddy Holly may not have been a technical guitar playing God, but he was one of the first white people to understand the value of and play "race music" to white audiences in the bigoted south, hell...the bigoted United States, during the '50s. He was so good at it that he was one of, if not THE first, white guy to play the Apollo Theatre, where he killed.

If that's not visionary I don't know what is."

RIF-Logo-blue_large.gif

• Members

Refusing to see the impact of Buddy Holly is similar to refusing to see how the electric guitar changed music in the first place. By definition a pioneer fundamentally shifts or improves something. Holly was a pioneer not just musically but for bands who wanted to control their art.

• Members
What's your point? Buddy Holly has 15 songs in the US/UK top 10 charts, including three #1s, how many songs does Yngwie have in the top ten?

What that? None? That's what I thought.

So Yngwie broke into the top 100 back in the late '80s. Big {censored}ing deal, what's he done lately?

Buddy Holly had a song on the charts
LAST YEAR
that's 51 years after it was released. That means Buddy Holly has been relevant, popular & influential for a minimum of
51 years.

"Not Fade Away", the song that charted in 2008, was released in 1957 on the album
The Chirping Crickets
The Chirping Crickets
produced two top ten songs, one of which, "That'll Be the Day", was #1. How about Yngwie, how many #1s has he had? That's right, zero.

The album was ranked number 421 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. Funny thing, I can't seem to find Yngwie on that list, although it is possible I've overlooked him.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5938174/the_rs_500_greatest_albums_of_all_time/

You fail again due to your assumption that popularity equals greatness.

According to your logic: Shakira is popular >>> Shakira is great/visionary >>> Fender should make her a signature guitar. :facepalm:

YJM, like him or not, is a true visionary and that got him a signature strat. Buddy Holly was no different than todays "pop icons" you see on MTV.

How many times has Andres Segovia charted the US/UK top 10's? Beethoven? Mozart? Paganini? Joe Pass, Pat Metheny? Not once eh? I guess none of them were visionaries, Buddy Holly must have been so much greater than all of them musically. :facepalm:

• Members

Refusing to see the impact of Buddy Holly is similar to refusing to see how the electric guitar changed music in the first place. By definition a pioneer fundamentally shifts or improves something. Holly was a pioneer not just musically but for bands who wanted to control their art.

Elvis was a pioneer, Chuck Berry was, the Beatles were, Jimi Hendrix was, Eddie Van Halen was, Yngwie J Malmsteen was, Black Sabbath were...Buddy Holly was a catchy pop song writer and a mediocre guitarist at best.

• Members

Without him there wouldn't even BE rock & roll as we know it.

If that's not visionary I don't know what is."

If that isn't over the top hyperbole, I don't know what is. I really hope you don't actually believe that. Maybe you're dhrinking a little too much beer when posting.

• Members

his widow asks for too much money for anything involving buddy and is a very difficult person to deal with.

there was a story a while back about a street being named in his honor in his hometown and the widow put the kibosh on that

a strat won't have a chance of coming out until she dies and when her heirs decide they'd like to make money off buddy's legacy

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Buddy holly was my main influence that got me songwriting and playing guitar. I am only 27 years old. I first listened to buddy in the early 80's when i was around six. I loved him ever since. I played and sung his songs at weddings when i was around 7 and 8 years old. I even got into selling dubbed cassettes with a friend around the same time. I would draw buddy on the cover with a pen and door knock houses. The first song i ever learned was Peggy Sue
I still write and play everyday. Imagine what he has done on a whole.

Archived