Why has there never been a Buddy Holly signature Fender Stratocaster?

Midcitysaint

• Members
:facepalm:

I don't know that he proved himself the king of theory but what he did for rythym playing and when he did it is pretty incredible imho, dare I say, legendary.

Apologies if I misunderstood and you were being sarcastic.

I wasn't. I don't get him at all. Simplistic three chord pop. I'm sure he was entertaining in his day, but I've never heard any noteworthy guitar playing. What he did worked, but it was nothing special.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would guess his Estate doesn't want to whore him out like that.

if the family/estate dont want him "whored out" , then they could make some sort of deal like clapton does and have a good portion of the profits go to a charity of their choice,,,

A Buddy Holly memorial guitar would be great if for no reason but just to honour the man that we all pretty well remember as the first to sport a strat and make it famous...calling it a memorial guitar would compensate for it just being a standard non-modified axe of that period...

the first three songs i learned on guitar were

Hank Williams - jambalaya,

Johnny Cash - i walk the line,

Buddy Holly's - Peggy Sue :thu:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I don't know. I always thought Niki Sullivan was quite a good guitar player with him.

Listen to Blue Days Black Nights, Changing All These Changes, Listen to Me, etc....

There is beauty in Simplicity and there is also genius in simplicity - look at the Telecaster :)

I guess IMHO a song doesn't have to be complicated to be good. Just like a writer like Hemingway can say more with a compound-complex sentence then someone like George Will can say in a paragraph.

I guess if something has to be complicated to be good then I just like really bad music, books, food and artwork!

IMHO Everyday is a better song then Freight Train

Supro - Gibson made a Buddy Holly guitar. I thought it should have been a J-200 (or a Guild!) but it was a J-45 - which he also played.

GibsonBHolly.jpg

• Members

I guess IMHO a song doesn't have to be complicated to be good. Just like a writer like Hemingway can say more with a compound-complex sentence then someone like George Will can say in a paragraph.

I guess if something has to be complicated to be good then I just like really bad music, books, food and artwork!

a song doesnt have to be complicated to be good , nor does it have to be simple to be good either,,,,

IMO people should just judge each song on an individual basis, be it simple to play or complex doesnt really matter, what matters is how does it make you feel ,,,if it makes you feel good or moves you in some way then in your book its a good song/piece of music, and thats all that really matters in the end is that the music gave or imparted you with something be it joy or sadness or pause to think and reflect....

is everyday better then freight train ...:idk: to me their both good when im in the mood to listen to them..:thu::)

• Members

And learning the intro to That'll Be The Day was a rite of passage for rock-struck Brit kids in the 1950s, like George Harrison, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and many more. Buddy Holly was a massive inspiration -- one of rock's first singer-songwriters, a pioneer of overdubbing, a hero to geeky kids who knew they would never look lie Elvis P or Chuck B but still wanted their License To Rock ...

Yay Buddy.

• Members

I would be one of the first in line along with a John Frusciante series. But, either of which I doubt will happen and would probably be outrageously priced.

If Fender will give J.Mascis a sig model, why the hell not Buddy Holly!

Forgot to quote this in the last post ^

• Members

CSM - I remember figuring out that riff without a capo on the 5th fret - man, was it a PITA to play while barring across the top three strings and trying to slide my pinkie - I got it though.

You can imagine my dismay after seeing Buddy with his capo!

I think Hank Marvin is the guy that it's shocking doesn't have a signiture Fender. Maybe he does in the UK but last I checked I thought he was playing some other brand guitar.

• Members

I think Hank Marvin is the guy that it's shocking doesn't have a signiture Fender. Maybe he does in the UK but last I checked I thought he was playing some other brand guitar.

Hank had a sig Strat in both Fender Japan and Squier editions ... The Shadows switched to Burns for awhile in the 1960s and Hank also has a Burns sig. When they did their last farewell tour (there've been a whole bunch of 'em) he switched off between his Fender and Burns sigs depending on what he'd used on the original recordings of each specific tune.

• Members

What was unique about Clapton's, Guy's or Eric Johnson's strats, other than the person who played them?

The Clapton Strat and the Guy Strat both have active electronics with a mid boost. They also used to have Lace pickups (I think the Guy still does?).

The Clapton also has a unique neck profile.

If you ever play either of these they're quite different from a regular Strat.

The Eric Johnson I know nothing about. I think it has a compound radius or something.

• Members

it's like people want to judge how good a guitar player is by whether THEY can copy someone's work or not.

if someone famous records something, but joe schmo who lives in mom's basement can recreate it, joe schmo thinks "aww that guy ain't that good. i can play it".

maybe, but joe schmo, you still live in your mom's basement.

as guitarists we seem to judge how good something is by how difficult it is to play not how listenable it is.

• Members

I don't get the Buddy Holly hype. He strummed a few chords. Whoopeee.

Take into consideration that in 2 years Buddy Holly did things most popular musicians spend a lifetime doing. He experimented with overdubbing, as well as musically, using instruments like the Celestia and bongo drums on rock and roll tracks. He bridged the racial gap by winning over African American audiences who thought that white rhythm and blues was foolish. He only had 3 albums out when he died, but a dozen or so singles that had been wildly successful. If it wasnt for Buddy Holly, there probably would be no Beatles, Rolling Stones, and 95% of the classic British Invasion bands, Bob Dylans career might have been way differnet if it wasnt for Holly, not to mention the career of Gary Busey.......................

• Members

Take into consideration that in 2 years Buddy Holly did things most popular musicians spend a lifetime doing. He experimented with overdubbing, as well as musically, using instruments like the Celestia and bongo drums on rock and roll tracks. He bridged the racial gap by winning over African American audiences who thought that white rhythm and blues was foolish. He only had 3 albums out when he died, but a dozen or so singles that had been wildly successful. If it wasnt for Buddy Holly, there probably would be no Beatles, Rolling Stones, and 95% of the classic British Invasion bands, Bob Dylans career might have been way differnet if it wasnt for Holly, not to mention the career of Gary Busey.......................

Not to mention he was already moving in a different direction. I know when he did 'Raining In My Heart' and 'True Love Ways' he was looking for a new way to stay on top.

Another thing was that he actually made good albums. Back then most of the pop albums were not all that great because kids bought singles.

His records were all really good.

Plus the production work of he and Norman Petty was fantastic. When you put his records on the quality that came out of Clovis is better then just about anything else from the era.

Put on RCA or Sun Elvis and it's great but it sounds old - BH's records don't really sound old.

He also was the prototype for the self contained rock and roll band. They wrote, co-produced and played everything. This is common now but at the time it was a new thing.

I remember seeing Paul McCartney or John Lennon talk about how that influenced them - after all Buddy Holly was in The Crickets - The Beatles even took the idea for the name!

• Members

Buddy Holly was LIGHT YEARS ahead of his time. You will never hear any serious musician put him down.

I'm not putting him down. I'm just wondering why he deserves a signature guitar, when all he did was strum three chords. Seems like Chuck Berry, Scotty Moore and other of his contemporaries were probably contributing a little more than he was as far as the instrument goes.

• Members

If it wasnt for Buddy Holly, there probably would be no Beatles, Rolling Stones, and 95% of the classic British Invasion bands, Bob Dylans career might have been way differnet if it wasnt for Holly, not to mention the career of Gary Busey.......................

Except for the Gary Busey part, that's really hard to take seriously. The British Invasion got its start with American blues.

• Members

I'm not a guitarist, but I love to play guitar. The reason I don't consider myself a guitarist is A.) There are a million people out there a lot better than me and B.) I primarily use it to express myself by playing actual songs, not scales, licks or whatever, there

Archived