Speaker Swap for V18

nuke_diver

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Interesting that the V18 is specified as being compatible with 8 ohm speakers only. My understanding was that the V18 used the same overall design as the V1512, which is a 16 ohm only output. Apparently the V18 is using a different output transformer.

• Members

I'm having trouble finding EV speakers online though I did find EVM-12ls but those are more than the price of the amp! I really can't see putting $200-250 into a $150 amp. The current speaker is ok and is pretty well broken in but especially with the neck pick and SC more than HB sounds a bit flubby which I think could be tightened up using a better speaker

any eminence redcoat series, the patriots aren't the right voice for a v18

There was one recommendation for a Texas Heat which is the patriot series. Info on these say it has a hint of British so it would seem to be similar to the Private Jack or Governor.

Where does a Veteran30 or Repro 30 sit in comparison to say a PJ? The WGS speakers are about $25 cheaper though shipping might wipe that out since some of these speakers can be bought from MF and I could easily get free shipping.

Also a newbie speaker question. What is the impact of the wattage rating on the speaker. For example the Jensen quoted above and the Private Jack are 50W the Governor is 75 and say a Weber Signature is rated at 25. Does lower watt rating mean the speaker will break up earlier? :idk: I think I might have to rely somewhat on the specs of the various speakers since most cannot be directly compared by clips. Eminence has the advantage there since they have clips for pretty much everything

• Members

I've got a cheap and wonderful Weber Signature ceramic in mine, and it sounds great. Really, just about anything you put in there is going to be worlds better than the plastic-picnic-plate stock speaker.

• Members
If you are hooking up to a v33, i would suggest 8 ohm. THe head and combo both have 2 8ohm out puts. The v100 head has a switchable ohm impedance so it doesn't really matter. The v50 has an 8ohm ext cab out, i'm not sure about the v18, but i'm assuming it has an 8ohm ext cab out.

It's actually going to be hooked to a Marshall 8008 power amp,sold the V33 :)

• Members

I scored an EV Force 12 to put in mine.

Someday, when I get enough time....

I've got a couple of these that I've had forever. don't really care for 'em, but some people rave about 'em. If anyone wants them, I'll sell 'em cheap...

• Members

I've been using Warehouse Speakers Green Berets with my V33H, nice and snarly, JTMish.

If you haven't, you should do the resistor swap, and at least put a lower gain tube in the V3 position, a 12AT7 or even a 12AU7. Decent 12AX7s of your choice at V1 and V2 will lower the hiss and make for a tighter sound as well, a 12AT7 in V1 will generate a lot of clean headroom. This will make as big a difference as a speaker swap.

• Members

IMO you have to be carfull about the speakers you choose for the V18. There have been some suggestions of good speakers in this thread that I think would sound like complete crap in the V18. Vetren 30 or V30 would be to bassy and to loose on the lower end with the V18s bass they probably won't sound good. You need something with tight bass responce. Emi Private Jack or Governor would work great. Texas Heat or Wizards are going to have a to agressive lower end. Warehouse Green Barets would probably work pretty good for you also. I tried the Jensens in mine and they sounded good but really lost over all volume. They sounded smooth though.

• Members

I'm leaning towards Emi Private Jacks based on the recommendations so far but the Retro30 are interesting though I haven't heard them but based on your comments Saturn and this....

I've never hear the Retro 30s but considered them based on reviews. If you go that route let me know how they sound. The seem like they may be a good choice.

• Members

which ever way I go I'll end up doing before and after clips.

I'm try to get a bit more information before deciding. Warehouse is cheaper but it might be possible to get some kind of deal out of MF that might make getting an Emi PJ even cheaper (free shipping and some kind of rebate). The current REB8 one doesnt seem to apply to Emi stuff though :(

• Members

Don't have anything to add other then I'm reading this thread w/interest! I still have the 2 stock speakers in my SLO'ed v18. When run into a cab, the amp sounds great, but those stock speakers are utter crap.

• Members

There was one recommendation for a Texas Heat which is the patriot series. Info on these say it has a hint of British so it would seem to be similar to the Private Jack or Governor.

the texas heat is ok, it isn't a complete american tone but the redcoats are better suited for that amp IMO but if you really wanted to you could get away with a texas heat easily. but it certainly doesn't sound like a private jack or governor

• Members

I've been thinking of a speaker swap, but mine is a palomino, so I think the stock speaker is pretty decent.

What about a way to mod it to decrease noise? Even when I have humbuckers hooked up to it there's still wat too much hum at high volumes.

• Members

the texas heat is ok, it isn't a complete american tone but the redcoats are better suited for that amp IMO but if you really wanted to you could get away with a texas heat easily. but it certainly doesn't sound like a private jack or governor

Better suited because the voicing of the V series is more British?

• Members

I put a Jensen Mod in my Super Champ (10") and it was nice and inexpensive, and sounds great. The 35 watter is around $40. Something else to think about...I would actually like to try one myself in there (soooo broke these days).

• Members

By these what do you mean Rich...the Eminences?

I'm getting the feeling that no matter what I put in it will sound better than what I have. If I could get some kind of coupon for MF that would seal it for the Emi's I think. The difference in price right now with shipping is not that great

• Members

I have a 212 coming, and I'm looking to toss an Emi Governor into it I got from the Buy&Sell forum here on HC ($88 shipped). I'm going to see how that sounds paired with a stock speaker, and if it sounds like crap, I'll replace the other stocker with a Celestion (Vox/Wharfdale) GSH12-30 out of a Vox AC15.

Both the 112 and 212 version of the V18 are 8ohm outputs. The 212 is just running two 16ohm speakers in parallel, instead of a single 8ohm speaker.

As mentioned above, the V18 is supposed to be more British voiced, so a British voiced speaker will probably be what you'd want. I am planning to do the Soldano SLO mod, so that could potentially change the sound to a different voicing.

I'll see what I can do for before and after clips.

Archived