Got to adjust my string height

nuke_diver

• Members

I broke a string the other night and had to change the set. It was late so I just tuned to pitch and left it overnight. The next day I retuned and noticed abnormal buzzing from the G,B and E strings which I do not recall before. I took a quick look and it seems that the height is off by maybe 1/32 or so.

My question to HCEG is, this is a Reverend Manta Ray with a Tune-o-matic bridge. The height of the bridge is controled by thumb screws on either side. I suspect that in changing the strings and cleaning the guitar (which I always do once all the strings are off, I accidently moved the height. :facepalm:

Other than being really careful is there an agreed method to avoid accidently changing the bridge height? :idea:

• Members

Thanks Bryan you're tops!

I already made the initial adjustment last night, still a bit of buzzing from the G string but IIRC there is always a bit but nothing through the amp (though I wasn't amplified last night). But better than before I think.

• Members

That's why I change one string at a time. If I do need to have all the strings off for other maintenance, I carefully remove the bridge and tape over the thumb wheels to keep them from moving. They may move a little, but it's easy enough to get it back to where it needs to be.

• Members

That's why I change one string at a time. If I do need to have all the strings off for other maintenance, I carefully remove the bridge and tape over the thumb wheels to keep them from moving. They may move a little, but it's easy enough to get it back to where it needs to be.

^^this^^

• Members

Painter's tape???

Something to think about next time. I always change all the strings on every guitar simply because I like to throughly clean them as well and that's harder with strings in place.

Interesting enough I tried to leave some strings on this last time and I suspect the frustration of trying to work around the strings lead me to pay less attention to what I was doing :idk:

Archived