i dont understand the notion that locking tuners

hondro

• Members

are somehow more stable than non-locking tuners and therefore every guitar with a trem should use them

As an owner of a guitar with locking tuners, the only thing they did was allow faster string changes. :confused:

• Members

they're not. and honestly, i don't think they do allow for faster string changes. especially when they get stuck.

the only guitar i can think of that they should be necessary on are Rics with the R tailpiece and guitars with bigsbys. because those things are a bitch to string up.

• Members
are somehow more stable than non-locking tuners and therefore every guitar with a trem should use them

As an owner of a guitar with locking tuners, the only thing they did was allow faster string changes.
:confused:

You are exactly right. Anyone telling that you can use locking tuners over, say a locking nut or just that locking tuners hold better is selling you a line or believes the line. This is fact not opinion. The biggest myth is that tuners slip. Unless something is wrong with the gear mechanism and if you tune up into the pitch to lock the gear it will not slip. If you could attach a device where a 200 pound person could hang from the post (and not have the post break off) they still wouldn't slip. That's the physics of a 14:1 and beyond gear ratio.

Tuning problems are more commonly string slack storage from binding at the nut or bridge, bad intonation and/or setup and inexperience.

A locking tuner would solve tuning problems caused by someone who winds the strings on the post improperly (too many windings that crowd or bunch up or those guys that put a half winding and expect it to hold).

• Members

Locking tuners can reduce or even eliminate the number of wraps around the tuner post. The thought is that when you use a trem to dive, the lower tension can allow the string to "unwrap" some from the post and it may not lay back down in the same spot when you un-dive, and thus be slightly out of tune.

Is it true? Maybe. But I like locking tuners specifically for the faster string changes, which is also why I like the Planet Waves auto-trim tuners.

• Members

Locking tuners can reduce or even eliminate the number of wraps around the tuner post. The thought is that when you use a trem to dive, the lower tension can allow the string to "unwrap" some from the post and it may not lay back down in the same spot when you un-dive, and thus be slightly out of tune.

Is it true?
Maybe.
But I like locking tuners specifically for the faster string changes, which is also why I like the Planet Waves auto-trim tuners.

Exactly what I was gonna say.

Oh, regular tuners do not slip. Even cheap ones. There may be a little slop between the gears but tuning up to pitch remedies that.

Tuners use a worm gear (attached to the tuning knob) and a ring gear (attached to the post). A ring gear cannot turn a worm gear. It's physically impossible.

• Members
Agreed. It locks the string in, not lock the tuner from turning.

Kluson split-shafts are the only tuner for me :wave: Such an easy and quick string change. And classy as hell.

Headstock.jpg

i love the maple fret board with the black inlays it gives me major gas and to add to the thread if you get those gearless tuners (i think the are steinbrener) they have a 40:1 ratio so allot finer tuning

• Members

Really? News to me... have never had a problem tuning to any alternate tuning you can imagine.

Well, if you have it in standard tuning and don't have any winds around the post (the way I see most people do it with locking tuners) it is hard to tune down.

Archived