Computers on network randomly rebooting

dahkter

• Members

Strange occurence at the office today.

I keep my PC on all the time, but I turn the monitor off at night.

I came in this morning, turned my monitor on, and Windows was in the middle of a reboot.

I shrugged it off.

In the last five minutes, two of our employees PC have randomly rebooted too.

We're running Server 2003 and have WinXP Pc's

I did some googling, however I'm curious if anyone has first hand experience with this. If it was just one computer, I would not be worried, however seeing it happen on multiple PC's has me a bit sketched.

Thanks,

Jason

• Members

I'm not an IT consultant or anything like that, but I work with computers daily. My initial thoughts would be that all of your computers are connected to the Internet and have automatic Windows Updates enabled. If the updates required a reboot of the system and the settings on your network allow such things; it seems a probable culprit to your concerns.

• Members

My computer had been having random reboot problems recently. About 2 weeks ago I opened it up and gave the processor fan and vents a good cleaning with compressed air (it was clogged). I hadn't had a reboot problem at all until about an hour ago when I got a BSOD, the first since cleaning the processor fan area. I had been getting 2-3 reboots or BSOD's a day. I don't know the cause of today's BSOD though.

• Members

As Ani said, it could be a Windows update problem. Some updates will turn on automatic updates and set a timer so that if you don't tell it whether or not to reboot, it will eventually reboot on its own. That has caused a lot of anger in my office when staff leave the computer with very large database routines running and return to find the computer has rebooted.

But, something else may be going on. I've had three complaints in the office this week of messages popping up saying "You must restore or you may loose everything." All three were set up last week with Windows, MS Office and all updates. Once the computers were set up by IS they were given to the users. One desktop computer did not have a connection to networks or the Internet after being set up so I don't think it is a virus. It may be something with either Windows updates or with Norton. The restore caused the computers to go back in time, loosing the accounts that were set up and in one case removing Microsoft Office. I'm still studying this problem and waiting for it to happen at a time that I can go look at the message.

• Members

Sounds like a great excuse to take the rest of the day off Dak. There is important guitar picking to do at home don't forget.

This is clearly an unsolvable problem best left to some overpaid experts to sort whilst you get some much needed rest.

Just sayin in case you hadn't thought of it.

:)

• Members

Hey VirtuaFriends,

I kind of did what Halljams recommended and ducked out for an offsite meeting from 10:30 to 2. Turned out it happened one time only to five people (including me), and that looks to have been the end of it.

There was a server update and reboot on Saturday night, so possibly when people came in on Monday and futzed with their computers, it rebooted in order to get a clean connection with the server.

I am familiar with the dust problem, overheating resulting in rebooting. However since this happened to five PCs in the course of one hour, I ruled that out.

Thanks everyone for your help and have a good one!:thu:

• Members

Look in your event viewer in the system messages. It should say why the reboot was done.

The other possibility is that you may have had power fluctuations causing some of the machines to reboot. Different power supplies have different tolerances.

Archived