How can they remaster the Beatles?

• Members

They did mahe some plugins that are supposed to recreate the sound.

Chandler also makes some hardware units I'd love to be able to afford.

That's great, so effectively what you're saying is that they could in theory use products designed to sound like what the music already sounds like, so that it can be made to sound like itself, only better?

/ I really wanted to like the 21st century. Really, I just don't understand reality anymore

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's great, so effectively what you're saying is that they could in theory use products designed to sound like what the music already sounds like, so that it can be made to sound like itself, only better?

No, I wasnt making any suggestions along that line but its worth some thought. Since they're remastering not remixing, they could use gear that complements the kind of compression and limiters used at the time. The original compressed tracks will probibly remain the same since they were tracked that way. They would probibly put the resulting mix on a daw earley in the process to minimise wear on the original tapes running them over the tape heads. My question would be if they use limiters in the transfer process or weather they would be applied after the conversion. There are several ways of achieving simular results. I'm also suggesting they are working off the original tapes and not doing a sonic enhancement of tape masters which I consider to be a master restoration instead of a remaster.

All of us who record mix and master know a project tends to take on a life of its own and the best tools are usually used to achieve the best results possible. The option of tools available now are staggering. Knowing those tools and how to use them is key to the whole process.

Can the original hardware limiter results be improved on with either new versions of the hardware or software replicas. I dont know the answer to that one. Some will say its absolutely nessasary to use original equipment because it was the original intent. Others say, If you have equipment that can be set the same way and it also provides additional quality in the process why not use it. After all it is a remaster.

What they use as final limiters, EQs, and or any kind of multiband compression once its in the box could be anything they want. I would think using the same equipment used in the chain going to a digital medium (in stead of mastering tape) might achieve the results most might want to hear in a remaster. It may give the sound added clarity while retaining its original limiter slew rates up to that point. Going to mastering tape adds additional compression and tape noise. That additional compression would need to be compensated for in the box. The added clarity of a remaster could be the that lack of saturation and tape noise which is all that might need to be eliminated to have fantastic results.

Guess it does come down to how the mastering engineers work the chain and what they use in that chain. They could set limiters like the originals or even have them set for better results. Tape can be slammed harder by limiters than dacs can so the original equipment/settings may not work at all going to digital. Some kind software to mimic tape and or limiters will be used. How well they are used by the engineers is what the original poster questions.

• Members

This is really sad that Beatles is being remastered..... I just can't accept this.

It's very simple: It's the last gasp of the CD, the last attempt to try to resell that back catalog one more time before it goes online...and then they get to sell it yet again.

I think the Beatles were great and all that, but unless the sound is spectacularly faithful to what it sounded like in the control room, I'll pass.

Archived