which humbucker-sized single coil?

gearnut

• Members

So I got a pretty nice MIK first act delia on crazy sale ($149). It's a really nice guitar for the dough and compares easily with the epi's and gretsch electromatics. The stock humbuckers are decent, but not at all what I'm looking for. I want a much more bitey, single coil sound out of the guitar, with some sparkle. Mix a rickenbacker with a jazzmaster, maybe.

So I'm considering the following:

GFS memphis retrotrons (currently out of stock - bah)

TV Jones classics

Lollar humbucker-sized p90s.

Any thoughts? Anything I'm missing? Should I maybe go with something hotter in the neck? I hate to write this, but I want the neck to be pretty spanky. Yeah, I wrote it. It's the only way I can describe it. The bridge can be more chimey (ric-like).

• Members

I've had a ton of P90 guitars over the years, I guess for the bridge I want something less middy and fat, more sparkly and chimey. I don't want high gain. For the neck, something snappy and edgy. I'd be using this mostly for kind of indie rock sounds - Spoon, Deerhunter, The Dodos -in that vein.

The mean 90 sounds a little too round for what I want. I'll have to check out the phat cat, I hadn't thought of that at all.

Has anybody tried that Lollar? I've had his regular p90's and he rewound an old 60's p90 for me and I liked them a lot, I just don't want a standard p90 tone for this guitar...

Archived