V18 speaker swap...and upgrade or ...

nuke_diver

• Members

I got a Jensen Mod 35 based on price and some input from other forum members. First impressions are good but the speaker isn't broken in yet obvviously while the stock speaker has been played almost every day since I got the amp back in Nov. The old speaker had a sticker rating it at 50W and is much much heavier than the new one. The stock has a plactic like cone while the new one is paper.

Rather than say which one is which I'm labelling the clips Speaker A and B and let you guys say which one you like. After a while I reveal which is really which and see how many picked the chip Crate stock speaker ;).

The clips arent going to be great cause I'm not much of a player and my recording system is minimal. The set up is SM57->Guitarport as a preamp-> audacity. The clips go clean -> OD with Cool Cat TOD on 12 -> Dist with Cool Cat Distortion on 12 first bridge then neck pickups and I tried to play more or less the same thing for both.

Speaker A

Speaker B

I'm going to try of a poll too but I'm only 50/50 on getting them to work :facepalm:

And if it does work.."they both sound like {censored}" won't be an option since that's more likely operator error than equipment issues :evil:

• Members

Wow dead heat right now

What I'm hearing after playing more is that the Jensen is over all quieter than the stock. Is that your experience Wag? Now mind you on the clips I tried to keep the volumes as close as I could.

I'll wait for more votes before revealing the winner ;)

• Members

B sounds better to my ears. Not sure what speaker yours has stock, but I prefer the sound of speaker B.

My 3112 came with a Celestion Seventy 80 which I replaced first with a Celestion Relic 30 which is pretty similar to a Vintage 30, then a Weber ceramic vintage something something. The Weber lacks a bit of balls on the crunch tones, but clean, the Weber is absolutely better than either of the Celestions.

• Members

Wow dead heat right now

What I'm hearing after playing more is that the Jensen is over all quieter than the stock. Is that your experience Wag? Now mind you on the clips I tried to keep the volumes as close as I could.

I'll wait for more votes before revealing the winner
;)

Volume wise, I can't really tell. The v18 (w/the slo mods) is so loud it's not even funny.

• Members

Ok this keeps dropping like a stone anyways

Yes Wagdog nailed it right out of the gate (as did Saturn but he was second so could have cheated :cop:), A is stock, B is Jensen Mod12 35

It will be interesting tonight when I get home to play since the management won't be home and I can crank it up a bit more.

• Members

Ok this keeps dropping like a stone anyways

Yes Wagdog nailed it right out of the gate (as did Saturn but he was second so could have cheated
:cop:
), A is stock, B is Jensen Mod12 35

It will be interesting tonight when I get home to play since the management won't be home and I can crank it up a bit more.

I think you'll find the jensen continues to be brighter and hold together longer.

I know I'm pretty negative about the stock crate speakers, but I really found them to sound like you playing through a pillow.

• Members

Brighter is a good thing for this amp. In the stock mode it was very bassy and I got rid of some of it with a tube swap but the speaker is helping a bit more. I can actually raise the bass level up a bit now

I've already noticed that the neck pickup is more useable than it used to be

• Members

Brighter is a good thing for this amp. In the stock mode it was very bassy and I got rid of some of it with a tube swap but the speaker is helping a bit more. I can actually raise the bass level up a bit now

I've already noticed that the neck pickup is more useable than it used to be

Agreed - brighter is a great thing for this amp, especially if you keep the circuitry stock.

• Members

Agreed - brighter is a great thing for this amp, especially if you keep the circuitry stock.

Yup thought about doing some of the mods but while I'm comfortable soldering some I'm not too keen on doing something that could break it. I am still considering the R4/10 (I think) swap but that won't be for a while while I let the speaker break in and see how I like it.

The number of people liking the stock speaker is surprising. I wonder if it speaks more to my recording setup or my playing than the speaker itself :idk:

Archived