Some Help for a poor noob...

robbo546hall

• Members

I've been playing acoustic for a while, and started with electric about 4 months ago, by getting a used Ibanez Gio, which i heard was quite a good beginner guitar. I got it for a steal, but it's sound is just not good enough.

Now I have a good amp, so the amp is not the problem. It's a Line 6 Spider Jam 75 Watt. But i think the pickups and the strings are shot. As when playing, there is a buzzing noise on high distortion, and the strings always play even when i'm not touching them, which doesn't sound good. Also the strings are very slow and tight, making it harder to play.

So i was wondering:

1. Would replacing the pickups and strings of the guitar for around

• Members

If the strings play when you're not touching them, I think your problem is poltergeists...

Otherwise, change the strings before you do anything else. It's cheap and will let you quickly determine if the guitar is working for you...

• Members

Sorry, i meant if i play something like an F power chord it will randomly make a high squeeling noise like a harmonic, which is probably something to do with the pickups.

So i like how the guitar plays, so i want to keep it, would someone be so kind to answer some questions like the best pickups or strings like i asked in my original post

Thanks

• Members

Rule one. buy a new guitar get it properly set up
Rule two. if your new to guitars take a friend and get them to help you tell the tech how you want it setup
Rule three. if you got that guitar 4 months ago and have been, like every new player does, playing it day and night then yes, you need new strings. when i started i changed strings every 2 weeks cos they got gunked up.

actually all of us should be playing day and night lol

be under no illusion, strings are a disposable item

• Members

Wait a minute - you said earlier that the strings are "slow and tight" - yet now you say you like how it plays. I don't understand???

If you like the action, just change strings. If you don't, you need to get it set up. The squealing noise sounds like it could be a microphonic pickup. To check this out, plug in the guitar and tap the pickup(s). If one of them makes a squeal when tapped, it's no good...

• Members

Change the strings...change the strings...then change the strings...

The squeal could be a microphonic pickup...

I am not familiar with your particular Ibanez, but do recommend getting it into the hands of a qualified tech for some TLC...

• Members

It's a Ibanez Gio Mikro i believe. Its a 3/4 size guitar
When i said earlier i like how it plays its because of the size, and its light weight, and it has a fast and slim neck.

I'm already looking into strings, i've heard good things about the Ernie Ball Super Slinky and GHS Boomer.

I think it may only be the strings that are the problem, i'm going to go out and get some new ones and see how it plays and sounds, i'm not looking for something that sounds amazing, just adequate at the moment.

Thanks for the help

• Members

Hey man, Welcome! For the music you're playing, and the budget, I'd probably look at GFS Power Rail Humbuckers. As far as strings go, I use DR 10s (10-46). They feel Great! and last a long time! If you're good with a soldering iron, I say go for it! Otherwise, you may let a tech do the install. Along with the pup swap, new pots, switch, and a new input jack would be worth a little (very little- literally) extra cash. :thu:

• Members

The Ibanez Gio series come with the Powersound pup's. While ok, they are not the best. Even generic alnico V pups have better string resolution than the Powersound. As far as feedback you have one of three things going on and two of those would be the fault of the player. One, you have microphonic pups; two, your gain is too high; three, you are too close to the amplifier when you play. The last two are your fault, the first can generally be fixed by either potting or replacing the pup.

• Members
Don't get new pickups if you have a modeling amp. Just lower your gain, change your strings, move away from electronics when your playing, and make sure your outlet is properly grounded.

He's wanting to jam Maiden man, pup swap would be a good idea. If he just wanted to jam Cream, then fine, but for AC/DC and Maiden, combined with the fact he's having problems with his elecs anyway, may be a good way to go. :thu:

• Members

It's a Ibanez Gio Mikro i believe. Its a 3/4 size guitar

To be perfectly honest I wouldn't put any money into a 3/4 size guitar other than changing strings. Just learn whatever you can from it and move to a full size guitar as fast as possible.

I would get someone who knows how to play to check it over and help with any setup issues. They're very hard to diagnose over the internet, especially when you don't know the standard terminology for guitar setup and maintenance (which, no offense intended, you don't).

• Members

My Ibanez GAX-75 is a GIO and was my first guitar. I still own it today, 6 years later because I like how it plays and it sounds good since I upgraded the pickups from the stock powersounds. I have GFS (guitarfetish) pickups called the Retrotron Liverpools. I think a set of GFS pickups will radically transform the guitar. I think for what you want maybe the Fat PATs or Crunchy PATs pickups may work, but you can e-mail the owner Jay and he'd help you choose.

Check out www.guitarfetish.com

• Members
My Ibanez GAX-75 is a GIO and was my first guitar. I still own it today, 6 years later because I like how it plays and it sounds good since I upgraded the pickups from the stock powersounds. I have GFS (guitarfetish) pickups called the Retrotron Liverpools. I think a set of GFS pickups will radically transform the guitar. I think for what you want maybe the Fat PATs or Crunchy PATs pickups may work, but you can e-mail the owner Jay and he'd help you choose.

Check out
www.guitarfetish.com

I've got to disagree. Regardless of the merits of GFS pickups, I think any money that might be spent on replacement pickups would be better spent on a full size guitar. Just my .02USD.

• Members
To be perfectly honest I wouldn't put any money into a 3/4 size guitar other than changing strings. Just learn whatever you can from it and move to a full size guitar as fast as possible.

I would get someone who knows how to play to check it over and help with any setup issues. They're very hard to diagnose over the internet, especially when you don't know the standard terminology for guitar setup and maintenance (which, no offense intended, you don't).

I disagree. If the dude likes the guitar, and the way it plays, he may never want a full size. For like $60-70, he could upgrade the pups, and electronics, and have a guitar he feels is comfortable to play (which is priceless), and likes. :thu:

• Members

First of all change your strings to GHS or Ernie ball.

Then if you still not happy with it, think of replace your guitar.

This begginer guitar will not be a lot better with new pups.

+1 to this.

Replacing strings is cheap. The "squeal" you hear may either be feedback, or it may just be some seriously hot pickups run through a 75 watt amp (that is an extremely powerful amp so it is possibly part of the problem)

A 3/4 size guitar might be fine for now, but if you are an acoustic player you can handle a full sized guitar.

You can sink lots of money into a dud guitar before you get frustrated and realize you should have just bought a better one to start with.

Should you decide to upgrade your guitar, folks on this board can give you innumerable suggestions as to decent guitars for your price range -- just tell us how much you want to spend and we will talk your ear off.

• Members

I've got to disagree. Regardless of the merits of GFS pickups, I think any money that might be spent on replacement pickups would be better spent on a full size guitar. Just my .02USD.

I completely agree as well. Don't dump any more money into this guitar. I don't see the value in dumping more money into a guitar than you paid for it, especially if it's a 3/4 guitar that you're bound to grow out of very soon. Anyone above the age of 8 should probably be playing a full sized guitar.

• Members

Sorry, but after thinking i've had a 3/4 guitar all this time, it actually isn't one lol:idea:. Which is a good thing. I've always thought it was a three quater because of the small size compared to the acoustic i used to play (new to electrics), and the fact it looked exactly like one of the Ibanez Mikro models. In fact i have just measured it, and looked up the model, it is the Ibanez GRG170DX. I feel slightly stupid

And thankyou for the suggestions. I've ordered some Ernie Ball Super Slinkies and some GRS Boomers, and will try both out

Archived