Refinished Melody Maker & Lamb Chop

Woody_in_MN

• Members

Thanks. I did do wet sanding with 1000 grade wet/dry paper. I did not want the finished product to be too "slick", I wanted some of the roughness, brushstokes, and grain to show thru. The finish is fairly smooth to the touch, but some of the texture shows thru the poly. I guess what I'm saying is that it was intentional not to produce a factory slick finish. I wanted more consistency in the finish, but I still wanted some roughness in presentation.

Thanks for the post.

- w

I gotcha! Looks fantastic!

• Members

so i sanded the back of the melody maker smooth. was not very hard to do, haha. finish is so thin. noticed some curious things...

- body is 3 piece, but the seams are "crooked". blank wasnt lined up correctly on the mill perhaps, or was tilted due to beind oddly shaped. not a big deal.

- decent looking wood, would be quite fine with transparent finishes.

- body is NOT mahogany. or rather, not the usual gibson south american mahogany. im 99% sure its spanish cedar instead (which is in the mahogany family). gibson has used this in the past for melody makers, but they usually specify when they do.

i forgot my camera at work, so ill post a photo on the weekend after its fully stripped.

• Members

It's kinda touch to capture the texture with that color. Nice job though! :thu: You can always do another color someday if it suits your fancy.

I don't have a pet to rate the results, and I am not about to start sticking my apendages in the air for it. :eek: :poke:

• Members

Thanks for posting the refinished MM and of course Lamb Chop is awesome as always. I had a Husky like yours when I was a kid. How long will that blue toy last before Lamb Chop chews it to bits? She seems like really like that blue toy, like A LOT! lol.

Archived