Looking for a new axe.

Blackhell

• Members

Well, I want to look into a new guitar, because I have one guitar with a Floyd Rose, but it's tuned to standard. I'm a HUGE Van Halen fan, and I want another guitar with a Floyd so I can do all that wicked EVH stuff. It'll probably have to be used, like an old Kramer or Charvel, because my budget is.........$250.:eek::eek::eek::facepalm: I've been looking thru ebay, but I don't know what's a deal, and what's crap.:confused:It doesn't matter what pickup(s) are in it, because I'll just change it out for a GFS VEH. (:thu:) It doesn't have to have a recessed trem, but it can't be a vintage trem. I'm a heavy bar user, and I think that vintage bridge will stay in tune right for me. I know EVH used a vintage bridge for Eruption and what not, but I'm not EVH. I'd perfer if it had two humbuckers or a humbucker in the bridge and a single in the neck. I hope you guys can help.:)

• Members

I own an ESP LTD MH400 which Is awesome and the trem is pretty good too.
for van halen style playing, i'd reccomend a lower end LTD like a Mh50 or 100 or a M100 they both have Licenced Floyd rose's which will take a beating, also they're recessed.

If you don't like LTDs then don't get one, and please don't flame me for vouching them lol.

I'm guessing the EVH Wolfgang is out of your budget? great guitar.

Maybe an OLP (cheaper version of musicman i think)

Sqire affinity strat, buy locking tuners used for

• Members

• Members

Search Ebay for Peavey Tracer. They dont make them anymore, as far as I know. One without an aftermarket paintjob will run you 100-300 dollars. They even have a one humbucker version. Other versions have a kahler spyder double locking tremolo which is awesome. They are made in usa and have pretty cool necks to. the backof the neck is fairly flat and a little wide. Some are 24 scale and some are 25. I think the 24 fret version is 24in scale.

• Members

old kramers
old charvels
peavey : nitro, predator, impact, falcon, vandenberg, tracer all have kahler tremolos, which, debatably, are as good if not better than OFRs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Falcon-ele-guitar_W0QQitemZ110409101947QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item19b4e5327b&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

i talked him down to 250 about a month ago, im sure you could do it again. you cannot beat that for a hand-crafted in USA axe with all AWESOME hardware and great construction. you could probaly even get him to 200 with the best offer option.

• Members

Youd have to be extremely lucky to find a decent guitar even used that had a good trem on it. That said, closest thing I can think of would be one of the entry level Jackson Imports with jackson lic floyd trem on it. For good qaulity with good (imo better then floyd trem and certainly better then vintage style fender trem on it). Overall your being unrealistic in thinking you'll find a guitar like your looking for in your price range. The Jackson KJS30 and Jackson JS30DK are only ones I can think of that meet qaulity required and possible close to your price range in used market. But expect to spend at least $300 plus gig bag or hard case for a used guitar that will do what you want.

• Members

Seriously, though, get a Kramer Focus 3000, 2000, or 6000. MIJ, Original Floyd Rose, Alder bodies, and great playing neck, some even had original SD pickups standard.

F1000 - 1 hum, angled

F2000 - 2 hums

F3000 - Strat style with pickguard, 1 hum, 2 single coils

F6000 - "superstrat" no p/g, bridge hum angled, 2 single coils

Make sure it has the Original Floyd on it. Many people harvest parts off Foci and replace the parts with garbage. The Strikers from the mid-late 80's used VERY shiitty "Floyd II" trems that were single locking and had knife edges made from pot metal. Avoid those like the plague.

Or, a Sambora MIM strat or Fender MIJ "Squier" Floyd Rose Strat isn't a bad alternative...

• Members

How much different is a Kahler Spider to an OFR? Does it still go out of tune with big bends? If saw a few decent deals on Ebay, like an Epiphone LP Studio with a Floyd. I can wait until September after my birthday, because I'll have more money then.

• Members

Seriously, though, get a Kramer Focus 3000, 2000, or 6000. MIJ, Original Floyd Rose, Alder bodies, and great playing neck, some even had original SD pickups standard.

F1000 - 1 hum, angled

F2000 - 2 hums

F3000 - Strat style with pickguard, 1 hum, 2 single coils

F6000 - "superstrat" no p/g, bridge hum angled, 2 single coils

Make sure it has the Original Floyd on it. Many people harvest parts off Foci and replace the parts with garbage. The Strikers from the mid-late 80's used VERY shiitty "Floyd II" trems that were single locking and had knife edges made from pot metal. Avoid those like the plague.

Or, a Sambora MIM strat or Fender MIJ "Squier" Floyd Rose Strat isn't a bad alternative...

Ya beat me to the Kramer Focus suggestion..

But, I did find a link at least!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kramer-Focus-3000-electric-guitar-made-in-USA_W0QQitemZ300332254677QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item45ed3285d5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A2125%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

$250, buy it now.. Can't go wrong there, assuming the condition is good.. Ignore the "made in USA" claim.. The seller is obviously an idiot.

• Members
Let's see.. Old school MIJ Kramer vs. brand new MIC SX.. Yeah, not even close..
:rolleyes:

If I can find an MIJ Kramer, and it be in decent condition. I'll have to call up the one store around here. They had a Kramer Focus St200 I think. That was a month or so ago, but if memory serves me well, it had 2 humuckers, and a Floyd Rose with a bannah headstock. All black, with a rosewood fingerboard. I don't know the price. I'll call and ask if they still have it.

• Members

An "st200" would more than likrly be a Striker 200st, which is a piece of plywood junk.. They were Korean made long before that was a good thing. At any price, it's overpriced and not what you want in this genre of guitars..

http://www.vintagekramer.com/company42.htm

The link I posted is a Focus 3000 for $250..

http://www.vintagekramer.com/focus.htm

• Members

It said Focus on the headstock, but like I said, I'm not sure if it was 2000 or an 200ST. I believe it was 2000 now that I think about. My mom's friend has a Kramer Focus 111, and she gave it to me to sell. It was her son's but he didn't want it or something, but I have it in my basement with the rest of my gear. I'd buy it, but it doesn't have the Floyd Rose. Nice neck, tho.

• Members

Which Vanguard? The old school Gibson-esque one or the newer one that looks like a Jackson? In the former, pretty tough to find a cheap one unless it's on death's door, in the latter, pretty easy to find but still not going to be $250..

Archived