Soldering

Capricorn

• Members

Doesn't EMG have crimp connectors. I think they are some for of molex connectors. You crimp pins on the wires and jam them into the connector housing. Seems to me though that you would still need to solder wires onto the pots switch and jack.

• Members

Soldering is one of those things that seems like it will require skill and a little voodoo but, after trying it, turn out to be pretty simple. You can get a decent soldering kit from Radio Shack that includes a little solder, usually enough to do a few pickups and/or pots.

You will save yourself time and money by doing it yourself.

• Members

Soldering is one of those things that seems like it will require skill and a little voodoo but, after trying it, turn out to be pretty simple. You can get a decent soldering kit from Radio Shack that includes a little solder, usually enough to do a few pickups and/or pots.

You will save yourself time and money by doing it yourself.

Definitely, after being jacked $20 by the local music store just to solder two or three points I bought an iron myself. Naturally I was afraid at first, but after doing it a couple of times it wasn't hard at all. As long as you have the right equipment (iron, not gun, proper wattage 30-45ish, 60/40 rosin core solder), and has a faint idea whats going on in the control cavity, its fairly straightforward and hard to screw up.

• Members
There's that new thing someone posted from Acme Guitar Works:

http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/ToneShaper_for_Stratocaster__P2032C218.cfm

No more reading other people's opinions on Harmony Central and then agonizing over how to configure your prewired assembly, now you can try different settings using your guitar, your gear, your hands, and your ears, until you arrive at the configuration that gives you what you want to hear. In six months, when you decide that the grass is greener on the other side, you can start all over again and chase your tail some more. It's a neurosis, and we understand.

:lol::lol:

• Members

all mechanical(crimped) joints should be soldered as well. ..

Do you solder you plug into your mains socket?

If you look at any high voltage connections you'll find that they are never soldered. Soldering is cheap and easy in non-critical applications (like guitars), but shunned in any application that needs something more reliable.

• Members

If you look at any high voltage connections you'll find that they are never soldered. Soldering is cheap and easy in non-critical applications (like guitars), but shunned in any application that needs something more reliable.

Current and voltage constraints play a big role in those differences. A little bit of grit or oxidation between a joint in guitar wiring can mean a lot of signal loss.

• Members

Like guitar amps?

• Members

Nope. Like high voltage lines.

My point is simply that you do not need to solder crimp connectors.

In the electronics assemblies that operate our balloons, there are both soldered and crimped connections. The crimped connections are not soldered and are considered reliable to our QC specs when made by an experienced operator with the proper crimping tool.

• Members

In the electronics assemblies that operate our balloons, there are both soldered and crimped connections. The crimped connections are not soldered and are considered reliable to our QC specs when made by an experienced operator with the proper crimping tool.

Would those be the balloons in your avatar or some other kind?

Archived