Engl Kramer

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Hey man, I'm 55 and I still rock the house with regularity...

I play classic and oldies rock, some country.. whatever..

The young kids crap themselves when they see a 55 year old that can rock as hard or harder than they can

Its all good .. Enjoy your guitar.

Branch out a bit to give yourself more options.

Picking up a cheap bass and learning to be a decent bass player is always good. Its gotten me more work thats for sure.. Just enjoy, and find guys your age that like to play your kind of music... Metal was NEVER a big money maker on the local club scene.. Not as much as other forms

. Its harder to be a metal guy on a local level I would think, if you are looking to work, but there are plenty of metal heads your age that love to play it still. EVERYONE gets old, ugly, bald, whatever... Part of who we are.

As the Who once said in a song...

"Pick up my guitar and play-Just like yesterday,then I get on my knees and pray" bob

Definitely agree about picking up bass. I did about 19 years ago out of necessity, but it's a lot of fun and bassists are definitely often in more demand. Plus, a person who can do both is often in more demand than a person who can only do one or the other! Currently I'm trying to expand into playing mandolin. First time I ever played a song the whole way through was at a church praise band rehearsal, the next day I played it in front of 300 people. Have played one song per service on mandolin for the last month or so. Learning an instrument by playing in public performance right off the bat isn't necessarily the best way to go about it, but it's working for me.

As far as getting together with other people your own age, as far as I'm concerned it's all good. The guys in my side band (in which I'm currently the bassist, we've gone back and forth between a trio and 4-piece) are my age, but two of the guys in my main band are only 19!

6609_109890793878_512618878_2136603_6797

It's like that Nike ad used to say, "Just do it."

:D

• Members

That's so awesome Krash, I wish my kids were more into playing music. They're still young so I haven't given up on the idea. Don't want to push it them, y'know?

Fwiw, that is what I have found to be the best way to go. Be a "facilitator," but not necessarily an instigator. There is some history in the Krashpad family tree for doing things that way.

My dad was a career naval officer, and picked up acoustic instruments in his world travels. He would bring them home and told us kids (there were a lot of us-- I'm the oldest of 3 boys and two girls) that whomever learned how to play them would get to keep them.

As a result, both I and my brother learned to play guitar. I still have my first acoustic, a no-name MIJ from the early 70's, that he gave me. I also have a banjo he gave me, even though I only know a few chords on it. Since I recently picked up an acoustic-electric mandolin, the one that Krashpad, Sr., lent me a few years ago is being returned to him.

As for the kids, la Krashpadita started out wanting to play drums. I scrounged up a kit for her but being a lousy drummer myself I couldn't help her much and she didn't like the materials I brought home from the library. We're in the process of lending her kit to a local percussion studio so other kids can learn to play on them. As for bass, I showed her some scales and she took it from there. She's to the point where she can look up tab online and teach herself songs. Apparently she played some at Vacation Bible School over the summer where she volunteered as a youth leader.

El Krashpadito knows about 4 chords on guitar. Just last night he asked me to teach him another one, so I need to remember to do that.

• Members

Fwiw, that is what I have found to be the best way to go. Be a "facilitator," but not necessarily an instigator. There is some history in the Krashpad family tree for doing things that way.

My dad was a career naval officer, and picked up acoustic instruments in his world travels. He would bring them home and told us kids (there were a lot of us-- I'm the oldest of 3 boys and two girls) that whomever learned how to play them would get to keep them.

As a result, both I and my brother learned to play guitar. I still have my first acoustic, a no-name MIJ from the early 70's, that he gave me. I also have a banjo he gave me, even though I only know a few chords on it. Since I recently picked up an acoustic-electric mandolin, the one that Krashpad, Sr., lent me a few years ago is being returned to him.

As for the kids, la Krashpadita started out wanting to play drums. I scrounged up a kit for her but being a lousy drummer myself I couldn't help her much and she didn't like the materials I brought home from the library. We're in the process of lending her kit to a local percussion studio so other kids can learn to play on them. As for bass, I showed her some scales and she took it from there. She's to the point where she can look up tab online and teach herself songs. Apparently she played some at Vacation Bible School over the summer where she volunteered as a youth leader.

El Krashpadito knows about 4 chords on guitar. Just last night he asked me to teach him another one, so I need to remember to do that.

Very cool. You seem to have a sound parental philosophy. With so many "helicopter" parents, it's very refreshing.

• Members

Thanks for all of your kind replies.

I haven't posted for a while cos I'm at work (which also means I haven't been able to view your pics Krashpad).

To pick up on one point

I'm in a band which I love.

We don't sell loads of records but I really believe in the music we make and feel very lucky to be playing with such great musicians who also love what were doing.

So although I do like money - don't get me wrong, I could definitely do with some right now- its never been a factor in what we play.

• Members

To pick up on one point

I'm in a band which I love.

We don't sell loads of records but I really believe in the music we make and feel very lucky to be playing with such great musicians who also love what were doing.

Well, hell, dude. This is all you need right here!

Just turn yr head off and rock it.

• Members

I didn't say I was any good!

I sold the Jackson. Truth be told it wasn't really doing it for me anyway, but I think my pointy days are over:lol:

Used the money to buy one of these-

which I love- pretty Metal anyway right?!

You have found the correct answer. You can be overweight (I am), middle aged (I am), and still haz brootalz (I am... not) - but if you're playing a pointy guit, it will look kinda goofy.

Provided you have the chops, Teles and Esquires do not look goofy on anyone, ever, period. And those humbucker Korean Teles, Esquires, and Squiers (I have an HH Squier bought from dcindc) are GREAT.

• Members

You have found the correct answer. You can be overweight (I am), middle aged (I am), and still haz brootalz (I am... not) -
but if you're playing a pointy guit,it will look kinda goofy.

Provided you have the chops, Teles and Esquires do not look goofy on anyone, ever, period. And those humbucker Korean Teles, Esquires, and Squiers (I have an HH Squier bought from dcindc) are GREAT.

I just don't get this. :confused:

• Members

That is so freekin' awesome! I love it. Congrats on have such a great family.

• Members

OP - I turned 46 last week. I grew up on classic Dio, Priest, Maiden, Accept, VH, Sabbath and AC-DC with Bon Scott. I love that stuff. It's on constant rotation on my MP3 player. However my listening pleasure has grown with age. I listen to 70's funk, Prince, Mike Stern, Johnny Winter, Frank Marino, Electric and acoustic blues. It's a heady mix of genres.

I don't play metal anymore. Not because I can't or I worry about my image. I play what I hear in my head. These days its stuff like Johnny Winter, Frank Marino and Eric Clapton. I actually used to worry that my metal friends would think I sold out. LOL!!

Play what you love. The rest will fall in place.

• Members

OP - I turned 46 last week. I grew up on classic Dio, Priest, Maiden, Accept, VH, Sabbath and AC-DC with Bon Scott. I love that stuff. It's on constant rotation on my MP3 player. However my listening pleasure has grown with age. I listen to 70's funk, Prince, Mike Stern, Johnny Winter, Frank Marino, Electric and acoustic blues. It's a heady mix of genres.

I don't play metal anymore. Not because I can't or I worry about my image. I play what I hear in my head. These days its stuff like Johnny Winter, Frank Marino and Eric Clapton. I actually used to worry that my metal friends would think I sold out. LOL!!

Thats cool, I love me some old school Metal!

I have always enjoyed listening to all kinds of music and I think that there is a bit of everything in my music.

The thing is it was Metal that inspired me to pick up the guitar and what keeps me picking it up (I'm a singer and programmer also).

I have a freind who when asked what kind of music he likes says

"Iron Maiden. Everything else is {censored}". He says it completely deadpan, its hilarious!.

• Members

Learning an instrument by playing in public performance right off the bat isn't necessarily the best way to go about it, but it's working for me.

:lol: My earliest guitar learning experiences were like that, at a local church youthgroup. I went from being able to play one chord in three (I joined in with the other guitar players as and where I could) to, after a few weeks, being able to play all teh chordz. :lol:

• Members

That's okay.
I don't get pointy guitars
:idk:
Do what makes you happy.

I'm the middle aged guy that wears black socks with sandals cause I just don't give a {censored}. But I draw the line at pointy guitars.

OK cool. You didn't mention this in your post. I thought you were implying that the OP playing pointy guitars would look goofy solely because he's older.

• Members

Though I'm ~9 years younger, my early experiences are pretty much the same as yours (I have four older brothers who helped shape my early musical tastes... thankfully). However, I broadened my musical horizons early on by picking up the trumpet. That got me into a lot of jazz, blues, and classical music that I otherwise wouldn't have listened to. Lately, I've even been getting into chicken pickin' country stuff.

I play all sorts of music, but I still play metal as well m/... the riffs from "The Hellion" into "Electric Eye" get my blood pumping every time.

As for growing old gracefully, here are some of my gigging guitars:

2978373410_084afaab93.jpg

3794114298_f3d61d9dc0.jpg

2758720416_abc848fb43.jpg

1440636950_dbebe6a80a.jpg

I regularly play all of these (minus the red mini-v... that belongs to my kid) in my classic rock cover band & the audience LOVES it! Why the hell would I want to 'grow up'?!?!

• Members

Pointy guitars are old hat buddy. Sticking with classic designs which are adapted to suit your playing is the way to go. If you are rocking the tele that you posted a picture for earlier then you will look good. Also if you are overweight why not try to lose some extra baggage? If you are bald keep it short. No shame in growing old my friend.

Keep on rocking.