Scale Length?

Woody_in_MN

• Members

I almost always play 25.5 inch. I also play 32" basses. At first, it was difficult reaching on the 32 inch... but after a while I got used to it. At the same time I found myself reaching with finger length I didn't realize I had.

I can easily convert between 24 3/4 and 25 1/2 inch scales, although my guitars both have 25.5... and my next gas purchase is a 25.5 (Fender 52RI)

• Members

In the video below paul gilbert talks about his new guitar. I found it interesting that he commented on how it was easier for him to play fatter gauge strings due to the shorter scale neck.

Sure, I play .009" sets on my Tele type 25.5" scale guitar, but I've got a Synsonic-brand short-scale (extremely modded) that is a 24" scale and I run a set of .011" strings.

If I were to put .009" strings on the Synsonic, and tune to standard "A" 440 hz, the strings would be very "floppy".

This short-scale Synsonic would be great if the fret board were wider---and the body wasn't made of a mixture of sawdust and glue.

Interesting string tension/mass/length info:

http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=cache:4TyqgMCNlmQJ:www.tothestage.com/upload/StringTension_1949.pdf+pitch+of+a+string,+length,+mass,+tension&hl=en&gl=us

• Members

Another thing to remember is 25.5" scale necks make string tension higher, so it will take more effort to bend strings compared to a 24.75" scale neck.

This is partly true except the distance (or amount) you need to bend the strings to reach the same note is further on the 24.75". Analogy: If bending notes is like running up a hill, the 25.5" hill is steeper, but the 24.75" hill is longer.

• Members

This is partly true except the distance (or amount) you need to bend the strings to reach the same note is further on the 24.75". Analogy: If bending notes is like running up a hill, the 25.5" hill is steeper, but the 24.75" hill is longer.

But for both, it's a great feeling once you reach the top of the hill :)

I never knew that though, that's useful to know.

• Members

In the above example, the same string-gauge is a given, correct?

Things start getting harder to pin-down when the 24.75" scale has a set of .010", and the 25.5" scale has a set of .009".

(I think--see my sig for the standard disclaimer)

• Members

In the above example, the same string-gauge is a given, correct?

Things start getting harder to pin-down when the 24.75" scale has a set of .010", and the 25.5" scale has a set of .009".

(I think--see my sig for the standard disclaimer)

Oh of course...all things being equal, etc. etc. BUT it's is all about the feel which is hard to measure. The length of string and break angle behind the bridge or in front of the nut can play a roll in string "pliability" too.

I personally prefer the 25.5" scale more for its tonal characteristics and fret spacing than "pliability". :o

• Members

Don't forget number of frets. A 22 fret Fender neck will have a shorter distance between frets than a 21. That only makes sense. I have a 24.75" conversion neck on my strat & it's a whole different animal.

• Members

Oh of course...all things being equal, etc. etc. BUT it's is all about the feel which is hard to measure. The length of string and break angle behind the bridge or in front of the nut can play a roll in string "pliability" too.

I personally prefer the 25.5" scale more for its tonal characteristics and fret spacing than "pliability".
:o

I've heard of the so-called, "End-effect", having to do with stiffness of a string near it's playable ends, but I don't know much about it.

Time for research!

• Members
Don't forget number of frets. A 22 fret Fender neck will have a shorter distance between frets than a 21. That only makes sense. I have a 24.75" conversion neck on my strat & it's a whole different animal.

No. A 22 fret neck just has a slightly longer fretboard. The discussion of relative location of the frets to the vibrating string has almost nothing to do with distance of the heel pocket to the bridge. It's important, but the nut location on that conversion neck is what makes it feel different, not the heel location.

• Members

This is a good article though no scientific conclusion was reached:

Thanks, I've bookmarked it, and skimmed it---looks interesting.

I've always wondered how much of the claimed stiffness is myth/mis-perception verses, measurable fact.

I was trying to explain to my 12 year-old niece about the hubb-bubb over "Cold-Fusion" that occured back in the 80's.

I did a Google search and found that there are still plenty of people arguing over whether the energy output from that test-tube was actually fusion or just a known chemical reaction.

So, it's seems some things are almost unknowable.

Now a Cold-Fusion powered electric guitar, that would be cool!

• Members

I find scale length makes quite a big difference to sound, and not just playability. The relative stiffness of Fenders, I think, contributes to their lively sounds, and biting tones. The longer scale creates more of a 'clang' sound as the strings vibrate more rapidly.

The Gibson shorter scale length creates more of a 'boing', with a slower vibration, but a slightly richer follow through somehow.

Archived