Scale Length?

Woody_in_MN

• Members

OK. Everybody better sit down. I don't know what scale length is. Shocking I know. But how is this measure? From past experience, a scale length of 24 3/4 seems to be a good fit for me. But I am looking at a guitar (online) that is 25 1/2. That seems to be a big difference. Where is this measured on a guitar?

Thanks in advance,

- w

• Members

Another thing to remember is 25.5" scale necks make string tension higher, so it will take more effort to bend strings compared to a 24.75" scale neck. You'll also have to stretch your fingers a bit more to reach notes.

I much prefer 25.5" scale guitars...all but one of my guitars is that scale. It suits me best, and it's more comfortable for my long fingers.

• Members

I don't think you will notice to much of a difference went playing except for the string tension. I play a gibson at 24 3/4 a guitar I built at 25.5 and a seven string at 26.5. I only notice the distance when playing the 26.5 and that is just at the first 5 frets but what is good about that scale is playing on the 24th fret is real easy.

I wouldnt worry about it and if there is a guitar store near you just go play a strat and see how it feels, it will be 25.5

• Members

And now that I look at your sig you say that you have a Fender Jaguar that thing is at 24 inch scale. Changing from that to your gibson is an increase of 3/4 of and inch so going to 25.5 is just another 3/4 in.

• Members

OK. Everybody better sit down. I don't know what scale length is. Shocking I know. But how is this measure? From past experience, a scale length of 24 3/4 seems to be a good fit for me. But I am looking at a guitar (online) that is 25 1/2. That seems to be a big difference.
Where
is this measured on a guitar?

Thanks in advance,

- w

First of all, GET THE HELL OUTTA MY MOM'S HOUSE! (unless you're my daddy--I've always wanted a daddy).

That said, if I've been taught correctly (don't bet too much on that), the scale measurement it done on the High "E" string. (which should end-up being double the length of the the measurement from the front of the nut, to the center of the 12th fret).

So from the front of the nut to the saddle of the High "E" string should be 25.5", or 24.75" or what ever scale it is we're talking about.

This may be bogus info, and I'm going to be doing some investigation on the subject.

• Members

I can easily switch between scale lengths... and so does everyone comfortable with switching between most Fender and Gibson guitars.

PRS guitars for the most part are in the "middle" at 25". Except for the ones that aren't... like my SC245 which is 24.5" :D

I can notice a bit of string tension difference between long and short... using the same string guages... but it's no problem to adapt for me.

Some people REALLY have a preference for one or the other... maybe you will too! You won't know until you try a bunch!

M

• Members

Wouldn't the guage of strings used affect the position of the saddle(intonation) thereby altering the measurement?

Thats why it is really measured nut to 12th fret and then doubled, the bridge is movable so it would change a little depending on the string.

• Members

Wouldn't the guage of strings used affect the position of the saddle(intonation) thereby altering the measurement?

yes. The high E string will be scale and then you take the difference between that and the next string and move it back by this amount. You are accounting for the strings diameter.

• Members

I have big hands, but small fingers (admit).

So a shorter scale feels more comfortable to me, but so does a bigger neck.

But I'm sure that the longer length guitars are compensated by having a narrower feel overall (width and depth).

Either way is intended so that the average hand can feel equally comfortable on both.

• Members

I have fairly large hands. My daily player is a First Act Garagemaster. I measured it from nut to bridge on the high e (bottom string). It is 25 1/2". The guitar I was considering is a 25 1/2. So I don't see scale length as a problem.

Thanks,

- W

• Members

I like the Gibson scale.

But if I picked up a Strat or Tele and it wasn't Fender scale it would probably feel weird to me. I bet it would take me a long time to realize what was different, but I'm pretty sure it would bug me right away. It's not that it would be hard to play, it's just that it would kind of defy expectations.

That said, the 3/4 scale of my acoustic parlor guitar doesn't bother me a bit. I like it better than my big ugly dreadnaught.

• Members

... My daily player is a First Act Garagemaster...

That Lola that you have is a 25-inch scale. I've never played a PRS model before, but now three First Act SFA Series guitars later my personal preference is 25 inches (with Super Slinkys)...

Archived