NGD: Hamer Special P90 (1992)

ArKay

• Members

It was an impulse buy, but I'm glad I got it. No bells and whistles, all-mahogany body with 2 P90s.

Country of Manufacture USA

Year 1992

Body Mahogany, 1-piece

Neck Mahogany

Construction Set-In

Nut Lubritrak

Fingerboard Rosewood

No. of Frets 22, Medium Oval

Scale 24 3/4"

Inlays White Dot

Hardware Chrome

Bridge Tune-O-Matic

Tuners Hamer (Schaller)

Pickups 2 Seymour Duncan P90

Pickguard None

Finish Cherry

Controls 2 x Volume, 1 x Tone, 3-Way Selector

special_p90_01.jpg

special_p90_02.jpg

special_p90_03.jpg

special_p90_04.jpg

special_p90_05.jpg

special_p90_06.jpg

special_p90_07.jpg

special_p90_08.jpg

special_p90_09.jpg

special_p90_10.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well played my friend.:lol:

Hey it took you long enough to discover the Gibson killer (Roman's site). Big fan of Hamers here and yours is gorgeous. Here's mine:

iqzu43.jpg

Sorry for the huge pic.

People think I'm a kook for saying this, but it will sound orgasmic (sorry Arkay) with a bone or tusq nut. I changed out the teflon nut on both of my Hamers - it's a tone sponge.:eek:

• Members

Well you know if it sounds good to you as is then fine, don't let me persuade you. Mine always sounded just a little fuzzy and brittle before the swap, which confounded me given that Hamers are so resonant. I could tell you that a good bone or tusq nut will improve both your sustain and your fidelity but you probably wouldn't believe me. I felt like the lubritrac was the worst tone sponge on any of my guitars and I've changed them all, even my Fenders (only the Washburn Custom Shops had real high quality hard graphite nuts).

This is the thread that enlightened me (pick it up on page two with the posts by Octave Doctor), I mean if you really give a hoot:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1238790&page=2

• Members

It has a couple of scratches on the back and a small ding, apart from that it's in great condition. Probably has spend years in its case judging from the smell. :)

I replaced the stock knobs, wasn't fond of the all-black ones.

• Members

Well you know if it sounds good to you as is then fine, don't let me persuade you. Mine always sounded just a little fuzzy and brittle before the swap, which confounded me given that Hamers are so resonant. I could tell you that a good bone or tusq nut will improve both your sustain and your fidelity but you probably wouldn't believe me. I felt like the lubritrac was the worst tone sponge on any of my guitars and I've changed them all, even my Fenders (only the Washburn Custom Shops had real high quality hard graphite nuts).

This is the thread that enlightened me (pick it up on page two with the posts by Octave Doctor), I mean if you really give a hoot:

I have used a couple of Tusq nuts on some of my guitars, they were easy to replace on the strat-like models.

The guitar is pretty damn resonant as is, but I can believe that a nut does have an impact on string vibration transfer.

• Members

I have used a couple of Tusq nuts on some of my guitars, they were easy to replace on the strat-like models.

The guitar is pretty damn resonant as is, but I can believe that a nut does have an impact on string vibration transfer.

If you do go tusq again and decide to do it yourself get the Epiphone not the Gibson spec nut as the Hamer neck at the nut won't accommodate Gibson string spacing. Also, to do it right, you will need a set of Xacto cutting tools to score around the stock nut before removing it. Trust me if you just pop it out, it is sealed in and will take some paint with it. I know this from experience.:facepalm: Live and learn.

Here is the link for the proper tusq nut if you decide to go that route:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Graph-Tech-Tusq-Nut-PQ-6060-00-for-Epiphone-Slotted-NEW_W0QQitemZ110397681090QQcategoryZ101976QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3907.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DFICS%252BUFI%252BUA%252BIA%252BUCI%26otn%3D15%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D54

Archived