Relic'd guitars- fad or future?

IanAlderman

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why are guitar forums the only one who cares about every aspect of the guitar, the paint type, finish type, is it AA flame maple or AAAA birds eye maple, nut material, and now reliced or not. .

I'm sure there's a group of sax players out there that obsess with the finish on their saxes given that obsessing about reeds and mouthpieces is very common.

• Members

It's really impressive, when you stop to think about it. Right down to the smallest detail, in myriad subtle ways that are hard to quantify, that you would have thought impossible to design in and plan for, these threads are just like other relic threads.

Really, you can't tell them apart. I thought reading these threads was pointless, but I read a real thread a while back, and now I'm reading this one, and it's easily as good. In fact, in some ways, it's better.

• Members
Shine= YES!!!!!!!
:love:

If my Silverburst or my 79 KM looked relic'd- I'd kill somebody. Seriously, there's nothing like the nice glowing sheen of a new guitar you've saved up all that money for.

The idea of the relic'd guitars, well.... it sounded good on paper. I think the phenomenon has caught the fires of the bands that sound retro- retro is becoming quite trendy with stoner rock bands, bright Orange amps and now the relic guitars.

I think it's a trend now, but who knows how into these relic guitars years from now.

Some'll laugh, some'll sit and cry. But I just sit here and wonder why? LOL

I HATE brand new guitars.

:thu:

• Members

when you're done beating that horse, take me out back and beat me to death too.... I'm sick of the Relic threads and the {censored}ing wannabe's who can't take the time to leave their bedrooms and/or play their guitars long enough to relic themselves.

the fact that you assume anyone who likes the relic look is a "wannabe who can't take the time to leave their bedrooms and play" is a patently idiotic comment. it's a finish option, PERIOD. I've played all over the country in bars, churches, arenas....wherever I can....and I'd buy one tomorrow if I wanted to. I can assure you that I am in no way a wannabe...

I find it ludicrous that it's ok to like burst tops, plain tops, quilt tops, metallic, neon, swirl, polka dots, fake snakeskin...WHATEVER on a guitar, but someone likes a FINISH OPTION that looks a little beat up and they are instantly derided. Open minded musicians can be a pretty close minded bunch when it suits them.

• Members

I commented on the relic post- now my question is, how much longer will the fascination with relic'd guitars continue? Is it a fad, or do you think the idea of getting a guitar that looks like it's been through the war yet costs just as much as the next guitar will continue here in the next few years?

the earliest I know of are from Fernandes in the mid `70s...34 odd years and counting.

• Members

the fact that you assume anyone who likes the relic look is a "wannabe who can't take the time to leave their bedrooms and play" is a patently idiotic comment. it's a finish option, PERIOD. I've played all over the country in bars, churches, arenas....wherever I can....and I'd buy one tomorrow if I wanted to. I can assure you that I am in no way a wannabe...

+1

I like the look. I don't give a hoot if someone else doesn't, they don't have to play mine.

• Members

Sunburst is a relic'ed finish, BTW. An attempt at reproducing colour changes on the top of the guitar that normally occur in year, decades of exposure to sunlight. And a pretty weak attempt at that, I'd say.

You people with sunburst guitars are all poseurs and wanabees. I want my new guitars to have plain tops, as any new guitar should.

:deadhorse:

• Members

I read somewhere that Fernandes did a relic finish on some of their guitars in the 70s and that's pretty cool- it seems like in the 2000s early on, when I first started playing is when I first heard of it- so I admit I wasn't too keen on the phenomenon. I was aware about the Custom Shop models from Fender having the finish- I think that relic'd guitars have their appeal for sure. People who try to play off a guitar as actually being 40-50 something years old should be shot. No excuse for the douchebaggery there- people who genuinely like the finish shouldn't be crucified for liking the finish at all. Some people like the Mr. Clean and seeing the lights bounce off their new instruments. Some people really dig the old beat up look. Either way, there will be love and hate. I think that manufacturers will continue making the relic finish guitars and I think the trend will continue for a few more years, but after that it all remains to be seen.

• Members

here what i think
worn,relic'd, faded..these are just another way that people are too lazy to work at something.
my jeans arnt "stone washed" or "faded"..THEY ARE WASHED AND WORN ALLOT.
my truck aint primed because its cool
.ITS BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO RUST BEFORE I PAINT IT
and my guitars aint relic'd. THEYRE PLAYED.

srv was dirt poor when he started. his guitar wasnt relic'd it was pos he picked up because it was all he could afford. it became his trademark. if he had a little more money and bought a better guitar do you think we would talking about this now.

• Members

here what i think

worn,relic'd, faded..these are just another way that people are too lazy to work at something.

my jeans arnt "stone washed" or "faded"..THEY ARE WASHED AND WORN ALLOT.

my truck aint primed because its cool

.ITS BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO RUST BEFORE I PAINT IT

and my guitars aint relic'd. THEYRE PLAYED.

srv was dirt poor when he started. his guitar wasnt relic'd it was pos he picked up because it was all he could afford. it became his trademark. if he had a little more money and bought a better guitar do you think we would talking about this now.

who knows....teh road worns might have been SRV's favorite guitars...unbelievably presumptious to say what his opinion on guitar finishes would be.

• Members
Sunburst is a relic'ed finish, BTW. An attempt at reproducing colour changes on the top of the guitar that normally occur in year, decades of exposure to sunlight. And a pretty weak attempt at that, I'd say.

You people with sunburst guitars are all poseurs and wanabees. I want my new guitars to have plain tops, as any new guitar should.

:deadhorse:

WELL CRAP I MISSED THIS LITTLE JEW

wtf r u talking about.. sunburst was never meant to look old..these companies had to make an affordable guitar and didnt have the tech they have to today and color cost money ..yeah it may have been inspired by worn stains but not as a relic. on Stradivarius tops it was used to give definition and on non binding it was used so the guitar wouldnt look so plain .it was cheap and fast and it just stuck

• Members

who knows....teh road worns might have been SRV's favorite guitars...unbelievably presumptious to say what his opinion on guitar finishes would be.

its not presumptuous. its a fact. comeon now do you know anything about srv? he was 9th ward. he didnt actually start making it big enough to support his habits and get nice stuff till few years before he died.

• Members

The relic trend will eventually reverse itself. People will buy the relic guitars and try to restore them to looking new.

I wonder what a road worn strat will look like in 50 years.

That is actually quite interesting- restoring a relic to look like something new... Sounds good on paper.... we'll have to see.

• Members

WELL CRAP I MISSED THIS LITTLE JEW

wtf r u talking about.. sunburst was never meant to look old..these companies had to make an affordable guitar and didnt have the tech they have to today and color cost money ..yeah it may have been inspired by worn stains but not as a relic. on Stradivarius tops it was used to give definition and on non binding it was used so the guitar wouldnt look so plain .it was cheap and fast and it just stuck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunburst_(finish)

"It was originally intended to imitate an aged French polish finish, as applied to classical string instruments such as violins."

And also: "There are also aged variants of sunburst finishes which are usually found on high-end boutique instruments from Fender, Suhr, Tom Anderson, Melancon, Don Grosh and James Tyler, such as Aged Cherry Burst, Fireburst, Lightburst and Antique Tobacco Sunburst. These aged sunburst finishes are mostly suited for quilted, spalted and figured maple tops, as well with other highly figured woods such as swamp ash and koa."

(some bolds are mine)

{censored}ing poseurs.

:poke:

• Members

its not presumptuous. its a fact. comeon now do you know anything about srv? he was 9th ward. he didnt actually start making it big enough to support his habits and get nice stuff till few years before he died.

what does that have to do with what his taste in guitar finishes might be?? a poor guy can love new or worn, just like a rich guy can.

• Members

what does that have to do with what his taste in guitar finishes might be?? a poor guy can love new or worn, just like a rich guy can.

read an article..your going to make me pull out my mags arnt you..

i know this without even looking it up..his father was dirt poor and worked 2 jobs in Dallas. srv dropped out of high school and played in a blues band that played in Austin allot. his drug and alcohol dependency landed him in the slums every where he went. he was discover in he had like 5 years of success and dyed in 90. his music didnt really even take off till after he dyed.

ok im digging out mags....lets see here..looks like 80s and early 90s are not here. well hell the first cover i see is 96. i do remember that satch and via idolized the guy and they did that tour in 96 so thats probably why.

look up july 97 guitar they have a good spread.

this one is great sep 97.

he goes through a list and hes says this about the beater strat. it was the only guitar that the pawn shop wouldn't take.

• Members
i disagree...i'd venture to guess that most people that buy relic'd or worn guitars aren't buying them to pass off as something they've worn over 30 years of hitting the bar circuit. they buy them just because they dig the worn look and like the playability/sound/features. I've played the roadworns...they feel great and sound great. I'd buy a roadworn tele tomorrow if i didn't already have a tele, or a strat if i hadn't just got a great deal on a roadhouse.

i will grant you this...if someone buys one then tries to pretend they've worn it in like that, then yes, they are douchebags.

Fair enough! :thu:

• Members

I have a 1997 Fender "Cunetto" Nocaster. It is "reliced". But that is not why I bought it. That is not why I buy guitars. Though many of my older guitars have their share of scratches, nicks, dings, and finish wear. I bought that Nocaster because it was absolutely the nicest Telecaster in the store. It plays well and sounds good.

• Members

Fender has been selling the Relic series since 1996 as part of the standard lineup - and it was a custom shop option well before that.

In other words, relic guitars have been around longer than most people here have been playing.

If you don't like them - accept it. You've lost. The battle was fought over these 13 years ago, and you lost it then. Probably before you ever picked up a guitar.

Suck it up. They're probably not going anywhere at this point. Keep your lame assed ripped-jeans and beat up new car analogies to yourselves, because that {censored} got old 10 years ago.

Some people like them. Obviously quite a lot of people. You don't? That's nice. No one cares. Not trying to be a prick about it, just stating a fact. If anyone cared, they would have stopped selling relics back in the 90s.

Move on.

Archived