Relic'd guitars- fad or future?

IanAlderman

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that it's superficial as hell which just doesn't appeal to me.

I do think that authentic/vintage guitars that have a story(s) behind them is fascinating and that a guitar that has been played everyday for 30 years probably proves that it is a great playing and sounding guitar so they have some appeal.

But the only story behind the fake crap is that someone took a screwdriver, a chain, some sandpaper and some salt to it to make it look like something that it isn't. It's just not in the spirit of mojo and cheapens the whole thing to me.

As for how long it will last; I don't think that it will be anymore popular than it is now and it will die down a bit.

• Members

it'll continue, because beat up {censored} looks cool and that's just how it is. there's nothing wrong with it. jeans being worn or having holes in them are no different.

better question is will the people bitching about relics ever go away? if you don't like it, don't buy it. the vast, vast majority of guitars for sale aren't relicced.

This. I'm not personally a fan of relicing, and when it's badly done it looks like a piper's asshole, but still, this +1.

• Members

it'll continue, because beat up {censored} looks cool and that's just how it is. there's nothing wrong with it. jeans being worn or having holes in them are no different.

better question is will the people bitching about relics ever go away? if you don't like it, don't buy it. the vast, vast majority of guitars for sale aren't relicced

+1. Well said pete.................................................................

No more please. This is getting more than alittle trying now!!!!!!

• Members

I think it is a fad, or a trend that will probably stay around for awhile. It seems especially suited to some guitars, Fenders primarily. I mean really could you ever imagine a beauty of a LP or PRS, purposely all dinged up?

However I have recently made a down payment on a relic of sorts. It really is more like a replica in that all the details of the model (a 62 strat) were worked in with some real care. The relic-ing part was less obvious, but the finish is beautiful and the aged pickguard and such look really nice. It fact the guy that sold it to the store actually tried to pass it off as the real deal ( I know what a maroon! at a Music Go Round no less) and they took it apart to show him he was full of it. That said they were really impressed with all aspects of the guitar. It weighs little and really plays well and sounds like heaven. As soon as I played it I had to have it. The conclusion is we think it was built by a local luthier out of quality parts. It this case the relic-ing seems less important, but it does catch your eye. Bottom line is I am getting a handbuilt guitar of quality parts and finishing for about $600.00 .

• Members

Why are guitar forums the only one who cares about every aspect of the guitar, the paint type, finish type, is it AA flame maple or AAAA birds eye maple, nut material, and now reliced or not. Who gives a rats ass, we beat this thread topic over and over just let it die. People will buy reliced if they don't care for new guitar looks, and people who don't like reliced will just buy shiny guitars.

• Members

Why are guitar forums the only one who cares about every aspect of the guitar, the paint type, finish type, is it AA flame maple or AAAA birds eye maple, nut material, and now reliced or not. Who gives a rats ass, we beat this thread topic over and over just let it die. People will buy reliced if they don't care for new guitar looks, and people who don't like reliced will just buy shiny guitars.

+1 :thu::wave:

• Members

I'm surprised manufacturers aren't offering more models with a nitro finish that wears like the models of yore. If I were buying a new Strat, I'd love to get a sunburst/maple one that would show some wear in a few years' time. Do the Highway Ones do this?

• Members

I'm surprised manufacturers aren't offering more models with a nitro finish that wears like the models of yore. If I were buying a new Strat, I'd love to get a sunburst/maple one that would show some wear in a few years' time. Do the Highway Ones do this?

Nitro requires a lot lot of environmental compliance, which often means it can't be spray in certain areas and investing and a expensive filtration system. Plus, it takes a lot long to cure, between coats and wet sanding. It's much more labor intensive and higher turn around times. Hence, why it isn't used much outside of Custom Shops and boutiques. Gibson is the only company to spray it on a mass production basis and theirs is heavily catalyzed to dry faster and be more durable (it doesn't wear the same as the old days either).

• Members

Nitro requires a lot lot of environmental compliance, which often means it can't be spray in certain areas and investing and a expensive filtration system. Plus, it takes a lot long to cure, between coats and wet sanding. It's much more labor intensive and higher turn around times. Hence, why it isn't used much outside of Custom Shops and boutiques. Gibson is the only company to spray it on a mass production basis and theirs is heavily catalyzed to dry faster and be more durable (it doesn't wear the same as the old days either).

Shame. I'd certainly pay a bit extra for a nitro finish. The Highway 1s look like the best bet, I guess, though I'd prefer the regular headstock and vintage-output pickups.

• Members

Shame. I'd certainly pay a bit extra for a nitro finish. The Highway 1s look like the best bet, I guess, though I'd prefer the regular headstock and vintage-output pickups.

Well, Fender currently offers plenty if you are willing to pay for it...AVRI, Thin Skinned AVRI, CS Time Machine Series, CS Thin Skin Artist series, Masterbuilt.

• Members

Well, Fender currently offers plenty if you are willing to pay for it...AVRI, Thin Skinned AVRI, CS Time Machine Series, CS Thin Skin Artist series, Masterbuilt.

Thanks for the heads-up about the AVRI. The '57 ones look like what I'm after...

• Members

another one of these threads, really??

i don't know why people have such issues with it. the people that complain about are liars if they say they've never bought a guitar based on looks. SO WHAT if someone likes the worn look. I love them, if I bought them it would be because I liked the way the played, sounded AND looked. I wouldn't be trying to pass it off as some 40 year old guitar.

If you don't like it fine, but it's absolutely ridiculous to give people grief if they do. There are tons of guitars I hate to look it but if you like it and enjoy playing it then AWESOME. TO EACH HIS OWN. PLay what you love, don't worry about anyone else.

• Members

ive got relic'd guitars,but its not by choice. they just get that way after you play em for 20 years.

bigs I agree, about 80% of people I know who bought there first ever guitar who didn't know how to play got it based off of looks.

yeah..then they bitched about it because it didnt sound like their favorite guitarist..lol.

• Members

Fender Custom Shop has been making selling the Relic line for 15 years now and every year they sell more and more. They have grown in popularity to the point where Fender made a mass production model, which is just gaining footing. And many of the other guitar companies are ramping up to compete. Not to mention all the guitar finishers who have built entire companies around the look. My guess is its not even close to peaking yet. My guess is
future
, soon enough distressed guitars will be a ubiquitous as flame tops.

At one time I would have assumed it would peak and die out with the Baby Boomers, but in these days of brand consciousness the same guitars that are Boomer's deem desirable seem to be desired by the following generations. So, I guessing Relic's will keep on going and going.

That's pretty much my thought as well. If relicing is a fad, then it's a fad that's been going for over 15 years now, and the fact that guys like Bill Nash and the late Chris Derrig made good $$$ producing high quality replicas of battered vintage axes means there's still a market for them. And yes, the value of relicing lies with the necks, which often feel more comfortable than on new guitars.

As long as the guitar sounds good and plays nicely - and the fit and finish is there - I have no problems with relics. I'm halfway eyeing one of the Fender RW's myself.

• Members

it will continue untill people lean that playing isnt about looks...

lets put it like this if your selling guitars and actually found out people would pay more for a bad paint job how long would you keep building em.

Its also about people wanting to LOOK like they play all of the time and dedicate their lives to the 6 string siren. Just like people who drive hybrids for the fad of LOOKING like they are helping the environment, but don't even recycle.

:facepalm:

• Members

Its also about people wanting to LOOK like they play all of the time and dedicate their lives to the 6 string siren. Just like people who drive hybrids for the fad of LOOKING like they are helping the environment, but don't even recycle.

:facepalm:

i disagree...i'd venture to guess that most people that buy relic'd or worn guitars aren't buying them to pass off as something they've worn over 30 years of hitting the bar circuit. they buy them just because they dig the worn look and like the playability/sound/features. I've played the roadworns...they feel great and sound great. I'd buy a roadworn tele tomorrow if i didn't already have a tele, or a strat if i hadn't just got a great deal on a roadhouse.

i will grant you this...if someone buys one then tries to pretend they've worn it in like that, then yes, they are douchebags.

Archived