My new $40 Guitar

Woody_in_MN

• Members

So I bought this off ebay for giggles. EBay sent me a feed that it thought I would be interested in it. I watched the auction and thought I would place a bid but not go over $50. I got this First Act ME447 for $40 shipped. Actually it came with a decent gigbag worth around $20. So I guess it is really a $20 guitar.

When I got it the set up was awful (non existent?). I cleaned it up, and did just a truss adjustment. I oiled the fret board. And you know what? It's playable. There are two knobs. I assume one is tone. But they both tend to work like volume controls. But you know what? Once I raised the bridge PUP, I could get a decent lead sound from it. The electronics are pretty poor - but the lead is OK, and sustain isn't too bad. Anway, for kicks here are pics...

ME447_1.JPG

ME447_2.JPG

ME447_3.JPG

- W

• Members

... When I got it the set up was awful (non existent?). I cleaned it up, and did just a truss adjustment. I oiled the fret board. And you know what? It's playable. There are two knobs. I assume one is tone. But they both tend to work like volume controls. But you know what? Once I raised the bridge PUP, I could get a decent lead sound from it. The electronics are pretty poor - but the lead is OK, and sustain isn't too bad...

You'll probably recall I gave you a heads-up about this when you brought it up a few weeks ago. Sounds similar to the experience I had with the ME931 I bought a few months back. As long as you don't expect a whole lot (and for $40, I'm sure you didn't) they are not terrible...

Archived