I want to make my guitar look old, beat up and all scratched up...any advice?

saxdude48

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In all seriousness, reliced guitars look cheesy. Unless you earn the wear and tear don't do it.

Can't you just treat the guitar like crap. I mean just ding it into things haha. Accidentally hit walls with it. Maybe drag it around the house here and there? Throw it on the couch or something, and maybe it will accidentally slip off haha.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't relic it! Just play it like if it were a beater, don't worry about how you treat it as long you play the hell out of it.

• Members

yea i agree, this guitar looks terrible. nothing like the original. i would hate to pay for a guitar that feels like an incredibly comfortable worn in glove, that would be dumb.

22.jpg

NO difference in this than the people who pay $ 75 + for jeans with holes in them, freaking STUPID.

• Members

Just to let the OP know, you can't just bacon it and expect a good result right off the bat. I've had to bacon mine every night for 2-3 days sometimes to get it just right.

A bad bacon job and you've wasted a few hours and probably some good bacon too.

• Members

Glue some 120 grit sand paper to your arm, belly and thigh where they comtact the guitar. Then play the crap out of the guitar.

What the heck glue some to your forehead and pick with your teeth for the "jimi"look.

• Members

Don't treat it like a Ming Vase. Pick it up and play it like a tool. Don't go out of your way to {censored} up the guitar. If you bump it into a table or amp while you're playing it no big deal.

If I cared to have a {censored}ty relic looking guitar I wouldn't baby my instruments.

But I don't care to have a {censored}ty relic so when I'm not playing my guitars they go back in the cases, and when I play them I'm careful not to bump them into {censored}.

• Members

I painted my white strat black with acrylic paint which wore off in a few weeks - this was in the 70's - I remember everyone thinking it looked cool. I was young and stupid - now I'm no longer young.

To speed up the relic process always play it drunk. Leave it out behind your house in the rain for two weeks. Burn the paint with lighter fluid. Never wipe it down. Leave it in places were it can fall over. Start smoking non-filtered cigarettes - leave the cigarette between the strings on the headstock. Never case it, leave it in the sun and loan it to friends.

• Members

Relicing is just such a stupid concept, and a form of posing for the end user IMO. I've said as much in the past and been flamed for it, but it makes no sense whatsoever to me. And all this crap about old instruments and "mojo", puleeeze :rolleyes:. A guitar doesn't sound or feel any better for being an old beaten up piece of crap.

In how many other markets would you find this practice? Would you buy a new car, only to have someone smash it up a bit to "improve" it?

/rant

• Members

Take off the electronics and leave it outside for a week. If it's a poly finish, sand and re-finish first. OR you could sell it and buy a used guitar

Im assuming a poly finish only chips and doesnt wear... If thats the case i might be intrested in refinishing mine. What should be used to refinish the guitar?

on the subject i think its dumb to make a guitar look old. That said worn out guitars sometime look good, John Mayers guitar is one of thouse guitars

• Members

well, have you baconed it yet? you rub raw bacon all over the fretboard and wood surfaces for starters then let's see where you're at...

The bacon goes on the guitar?

{censored}. That explains my arrest.

And why I'm now banned from area grocery stores.

Archived