Rigs for cover/wedding bands

FUBTAG

• Members

Hey guys... I was just curious as to what you guys use as a gig rig. Do you have a compact rig and a bigger rig?

I would like to put together the most versatile yet compact rig... not just amp but modeling as well.

Suggestions please?

• Members

Rivera R30 or if I need even more headroom a mesa MKIII. Pedals - Distortion, wah, delay and Volume. My experience from cover bands is that audiences doen't give a {censored} if you nail the original sound or not - have a few basic sound, nail the parts and look like you're having a good time, and you're fine

• Members

I know some guys who play in cover bands that use the RP500..

Guilty.

For larger gigs, I run my RP-500 into either an Epiphone SoCal or Peavey Windsor and then into my 4x12 (Eminence & WGS ET-65 speakers).

For smaller gigs & rehearsals, I've been using my old RP-1 into the clean channel of a Crate V50 lately. Believe it or not, the RP-1 sounds better than the RP-500 with the Crate :poke:

• Members

For me, like some of the others above, its a 1x12 combo and a handful of basic pedals (ODx2, delay, chorus, compressor for a boost when needed).

A friend in another local cover band uses a floor POD to good effect, run through some kind of Crate combo.

At our first gig, which was not long ago, I miked the amp and kept the volume at reasonable stage-monitoring levels, and it worked out well.

Chris

• Members
man I used to have an RP1 that thing was about 3' long lol

yep :)

digitech_rp1.gif

Ironically, I tried several different multi-effects with the Crate amp and none of them sounded even halfway decent. I had the RP-1 sitting in the closet & thought I'd give it a shot as a last resort....

and it sounds great!

• Members

With any wedding band, the drummer and vocalist are key! Followed by your keys player.

Guitar and bass are a lot easier to fit in around those!

I used to use a VH100R, a few pedals and a few different guitars. After a while, I just started to use a pod pro through the FX return. Sounded fine!

• Members

I have been gigging a long time.. but not trying to fit a sound. It was always my own band so my sound was ..well.. my sound. Now that I am embarking with a new band as Lead singer and co-guitarist, I just need the versatility that I guess something like the POD (which I forgot about completely) can provide.

Doesn't Line 6 make a small amp with all the bells and whistles? Anyone have one so that they can share their experiences with us?

• Members
Rivera R30 or if I need even more headroom a mesa MKIII. Pedals - Distortion, wah, delay and Volume. My experience from cover bands is that audiences doen't give a {censored} if you nail the original sound or not - have a few basic sound, nail the parts and look like you're having a good time, and you're fine

:thu:

• Members

I don't like modeling amps for gigs. A million people here will tell me I'm wrong but I don't care what anyone says, to me they just don't feel the same as a tube amp and don't cut through a live mix like a tube amp, at least not for me they don't.

Anyway, my gig rig varies but at the moment I've pretty much got it down to two setups that I alternate depending on the size of the room.

Setup 1. Crate Palomino V32H head, Marshall 1965a 4x10 cab, line 6 M13. Once in a while instead of the marshall cab I'll use a palomino 2x12 cab (the matching cab for the head).

Setup 2. Peavey classic 30, line 6 M13.

I still have some analog pedals like my visual sound double trouble and a dano fish n chips eq that on rare occasions I'll use instead of the M13 but since I got the M13 I've been using it by itself pretty much all the time and it's working very well.

• Members

Semi hollow body guitars go well with alot of the rhythm and vocal driven music wedding bands play. So do clean guitar tones. You need to be able to screw on the dirt for some songs, but its not the majority of wedding band material.

• Members
wedding band guitarists should only use marshall stacks and do sex pistols covers

:thu:

That'd be my kinda wedding.

There were a couple in the UK Ramones Fan Club years back got married and their wedding band was a Ramones tribute act. Teh coolz.

• Members

I don't like modeling amps for gigs. A million people here will tell me I'm wrong but I don't care what anyone says, to me they just don't feel the same as a tube amp and don't cut through a live mix like a tube amp, at least not for me they don't.

Anyway, my gig rig varies but at the moment I've pretty much got it down to two setups that I alternate depending on the size of the room.

Setup 1. Crate Palomino V32H head, Marshall 1965a 4x10 cab, line 6 M13. Once in a while instead of the marshall cab I'll use a palomino 2x12 cab (the matching cab for the head).

Setup 2. Peavey classic 30, line 6 M13.

I still have some analog pedals like my visual sound double trouble and a dano fish n chips eq that on rare occasions I'll use instead of the M13 but since I got the M13 I've been using it by itself pretty much all the time and it's working very well.

That M13 is a very interesting board... looking into that now. THANKS!

• Members

Tonelab SE into a 1x12 cab powered by a rocktron velocity 120. Portable and versatile. The tonelab is the only modeler that gets the tube amp feel for me. I understand and respect where guitarman3001 is coming from so we will have to simply disagree peacefully on this. I really feel that the tonelab is more of a hybrid tube amp than a modeler.

I use this rig for wedding, cover bands, and have used it on many original recordings. I have not used the very latest Line6 stuff but have owned everything up to the pod xt. For me, there is no comparison to how vox makes use of their tube with the valve reactor circuitry.

Again, please understand I'm talking MOSTLY about it's value in a cover situation. But if you rtfm and understand how to set this thing up, it's value goes beyond this limited use. I also own and use Fender and Reverend tube amps just so you know where I'm coming from.

Of course the greatest rig won't help if you don't understand how the corporate/wedding thing has to be marketed and performed. But you are an experienced player so I figure you got that part.

• Members

I made the decision a while back too go with a modeling amp.
The Flextone II 1x12 combo I have really can nail almost any tone and effects combo that I use in our cover band. Its plenty loud and mic's really well also.
I love my tube Laney and Crate but they stay at home these days and my back is doing much better as well. 40lbs vs. 120lbs ;)

Archived