NGD!!! some will appreciate, some will not

GuitarNoobie

• Members

So I have another thread where I was researching this guitar and considering the purchase. That thread is entitled "1968 Les Paul Custom (pics i took tonight)"...

Well as I learned in that thread it turns out this guitar is a '71-75 Norlin era Gibson Les Paul Custom. Thus the title of this thread, some will like it and some will not...

I understand this is one of the least desired Les Pauls, but to me it was worth it for several reasons. Although it's not all original, it is solid, has some nice sustain, very low action, a straight neck and the price was right...

Here is what has been changed on the guitar. The pickups are original, but the covers have been removed. The gold hardware has been replaced with chrome. The knobs have been replaced. The pickguard has been replaced and the tuners replaced with grovers.

My short term plan is to buy new gibson hardware, tuners, knobs, pickup covers and a 5-ply black pickguard to put it back into original looking condition. I am going to try to age those new pieces with a few tricks I have learned by hanging out here. Should come out decent looking...

Long term goal is buy 70's era parts a piece at a time from flea-bay to get it as close as possible back to original. Those parts are a bit expensive and I will probably be spending up to a grand in total to get the right era parts. but that's the plan...

The guitar came with a case too, but it's not original...

Anyway, as I stated, it has low action, good sustain and a straight neck. The thing weighs in at 10.4 lbs...

I got it couple days ago and have been cleaning, polishing and playing her. I would have loved to have taken outdoor pics, but it's been raining here for days... :mad:

she has a little wear and tear on her, but nothing major, just mojo...

dcam4371.jpg

dcam4372.jpg

dcam4365.jpg

dcam4366.jpg

dcam4357.jpg

dcam4353.jpg

dcam4368.jpg

dcam4358.jpg

dcam4360.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's looks awesome. Although myself I wouldn't worry about bringing it back up to 70s specs. They upgraded those parts for a reason.
:thu:

Well the only thing that is really upgraded are the tuners. the chrome hardware is from that era...

i thought with era correct parts (correct color, etc...) the value of the guitar would increase more :idk:

Archived