NGD - Danelectro Content

Woody_in_MN

• Members

Ever since I saw a pic of a forumites black Danelectro DC 59 I went ga ga and wanted one. I found one from a kid in Georgia that had been trying to sell on CL for a while. Even though this was long distance, I took the risk, and paypal'd the guy money. It came today as expected.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS: It plays pretty well. The bridge is the goofiest thing I have seen. Just a wedge of wood. I was actually able to push more gain thru than what I had initially thought I would. I have never played a Danelectro before this afternoon when it came. I like it. It has a low down dirty snarlimg attitude.

DC_59_1.JPG

DC_59_2.JPG

DC_59_3.JPG

- W

• Members

Welcome to the family. You got a nice piece there.

Is that a giant crack down the back of the neck, or just a glare from the window?

Also: your bridge is going to eventually warp under pressure from the strings. Whether it's 1 year or 5 years down the road, it'll happen. You can get replacement U2 and DC3 bridges, but the same thing will happen until you completely replace the bridge with something that doesn't use that wonky 3-screw suspended bridge system.

Don't let that deter you, though, cause you'll enjoy the hell out of the guitar regardless of what you do or do not need to replace. They're cheap and fun as hell.

• Members

Welcome to the family. You got a nice piece there.

Is that a giant crack down the back of the neck, or just a glare from the window?

Also: your bridge is going to eventually warp under pressure from the strings. Whether it's 1 year or 5 years down the road, it'll happen. You can get replacement U2 and DC3 bridges, but the same thing will happen until you completely replace the bridge with something that doesn't use that wonky 3-screw suspended bridge system.

Don't let that deter you, though, cause you'll enjoy the hell out of the guitar regardless of what you do or do not need to replace. They're cheap and fun as hell.

Thanks!

No cracks - just the angle of the sun.

And I'd kind of like to keep it stock. Will parts be an issue? Should I order a couple replacment bridges now?

- w

• Members

HNGD!! Danos are fun guitars! And yes, they can snarl a lot more than many players realize. You can also get parts from Danguitars.

GtrGrl,

Glad you stopped buy.

Snarl. Good description.

Yes - it seems like Danguitars is your full service Danelectro Guitar source.

- W

• Members

GtrGrl,

Glad you stopped buy.

Snarl. Good description.

Yes - it seems like Danguitars is your full service Danelectro Guitar source.

- W

I'm debating getting the ultimate gutbucket Dano if I can find it - the U1. Ever since I saw a couple of videos of a few players using them (David Hidalgo of Los Lobos for the solo in "Don't Worry Baby", and Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys for the song "Just Got to Be) in recent times, I've decided a U1 would be great for those times I want to sound really raw. They aren't as common as the U2s, but I'll keep on looking. Besides, I just bought a guitar, and really should cool it for a while.

[YOUTUBE]mBPGm4Fbo0Q[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Congrats! I love Danos enough that I invested in a Jerry Jones version of the same guitar. Here's an ancient trick if you ever wanna brighten the tone: Place a piece of a large flatwound string (a heavy E) under the strings just where they leave the piece of wood on the bridge (on the pickup side...) and lower the action accordingly. You'll get instant Link Wray tone.

Archived