NGD: Letdown?

FireLt

• Members

Finally was able to obtain a Epi Les Paul Goth at a good price. Couldn't wait to pick it up. Guitar looks like new. No scratches on a face and only very mild buckle rash on the back.

Couldn't wait now to get it home. Played it without the amp. Not bad. Action was a bit high....then today comes.

Get it out polish it and start playing and the love is gone. Eh. Nothing spectacular, guess I'll offer it for trade locally.

Anyone else ever suffer from NGDL?

• Members

I've never had it happen before...Hopefully its just this cold and the miserable weather combined with the fact I fell in love with a buddy's Schecter C-1 semi hollow body yesterday LOL.

I'm going to set it up a bit better and see what happens. I'm optimistic!

• Members

My advice would be not to upgrade it if you're not feeling it. If it's playing ok don't get it setup - if it's not playing in tune or the action is off by a lot then you may consider this - if it's ok and you don't like it don't waste your cash.

Just send it back if you bought it new or flip it over and get something you will like.

• Members
A LOT of Epiphones come with high action and feel like crap at first.

Once I lower the action, tighten the trussrod a little,

and level the frets (if necessary)
they play like a dream.
:thu:

This^^^.
I have a luthier in the area (that's also the Gibson Authorized Repair Center by chance) that builds his own instruments. He offers an excellent fret level/polish and set-up combined for $65 (with strings and tax= $74)
I have him look over my Epi's when I get them and do the needed adjustments right away. It is unbelievable what I've learned just by my visits.
He does a remarkable job.

• Members
A LOT of Epiphones come with high action and feel like crap at first.

It really irritates me.
:mad:

But Epiphone specs are for action that's too high for my taste.

Once I lower the action, tighten the trussrod a little, and level the frets (if necessary) they play like a dream.
:thu:

The action is quite high and with the guage of strings on it, it doesn't help. Still not sure what I'm going to do with it. I really don't want (or can afford) to spend anymore money on it.

I had a Epi Les Paul I sold my nephew that played like a dream, dunno, maybe I'm just not giving this one a chance.

thanks for the help everyone!

• Members

I was really disaapointed with a guitar i bought because of the colour. I played a black one in the shop - only one i had seen in real life of that model. Ordered a blue one with flame veneer. When i opened the box i was like....yaaaaaa....awwwwww.... *played it* meh I'll keep it.

The blue is sooo dark that you can't see the pretty veneer :(

Unless you expose it to lots of sunlight...

Archived