The Punk Capitol of the World?

mymindsok

• Members

Hey...

Have any of you guys visited Hamilton Ontario? I was up there a couple of months ago and was astounded to find that Punk is not only alive and well there but there are all these 50yo guys still playin the stuff!

I aint a hater but it was pretty weird to see a bunch of old gaffers acting out the "agnst of disafected youth" thing but they sure did have the classic posturing and stage presence down pat. :rolleyes:

I just can't for-the-life-of-me understand why. (But mabe it's the steel mill!)

• Members
Hey......there are all these 50yo guys still playin the stuff...it was pretty weird to see a bunch of old gaffers aacting out the "agnst of dissafected youth" thing but they sure did have the classic posturing and stage presence down pat.
:rolleyes:

WizardLollipop.jpg

• Members

Places in the middle of nowhere frequently become punk petri dishes.

My own hometown of Minneapolis can boast A LOT of significant punk bands, and the punk scene here is not dead yet (although perhaps in critical condition.) There's a no-cover Punk Rock Night at Memory Lanes (an old urban bowling alley), and some of the local dives like Turf Club and Big V's still tend to favor punk over pretty much anything else.

• Members

Places in the middle of nowhere frequently become punk petri dishes.

My own hometown of Minneapolis can boast A LOT of significant punk bands, and the punk scene here is not dead yet (although perhaps in critical condition.) There's a no-cover Punk Rock Night at Memory Lanes (an old urban bowling alley), and some of the local dives like Turf Club and Big V's still tend to favor punk over pretty much anything else.

I mean, hey, they've got Banner Pilot. That's one of the best underground punk bands out there right now. They actually wrote a song about the punk house I used to help run in Greenwood, SC. It's appropriately titled "Greenwood."

• Members

I don't see the deal, punk rock is pretty fun. If you are 50 and playing punk rock, you were probably playing it when you were 18, which if you do the math makes sense in a way. No one says, hey old dude, quit playing the blues! Many of the dudes who got the blues now in their 50s were guys that wanted to be in Styx or Whitesnake. (Not that there is anything necessarily wrong with that, I should add.)

I'd be playing punk rock around here but there isn't that kind of scene, up about 40 minutes there are bands but it is mostly the newer hardcore meets metal stuff around here. I don't mind that kind of stuff, but I kind of wish it was more of a mash where there was many different kinds of bands.

The thing I think kind of gets missed about punk is that it really is a folk music.

Archived