Uninspiring guitars

scolfax

• Members

I've owned at least 10 Strats. There was one I was pretty fond of, but it was still meh.

Not a single one was "inspiring" to say the least, and I actively hated some of the most expensive ones.

Don't know why...I love what a Strat can do in the hands of some other people, but they ain't for me.

• Members

I would not say uninspiring, but my Ernie Ball Music Man Steve Morse does not have a "special" characteristic.

It's versatile, mostly comfortable, well built, has an amazing neck, etc., but compared to other guitars I've owned (Heritage, RKS, G&L, Baker, Melancon, Hamer, etc.) it is just not special.

If I don't sell my Ovation I may sell this one instead. The Ovation actually has a nicer humbucker sound.

As a "working tool" the Steve Morse is great.

I felt the same way about my EBMM Silhouette Special. Every part of it was great, but no mojo. Maybe it was *too* easy to play if that makes any sense.

• Members

Dont own it, but play it a lot...need to do a set up by the weekend.
Nothing wrong with it, it just aint my thing...I'm a Standard guy!

bb9.jpg

bb4.jpg

bb8.jpg

Uninspiring instruments in general that are not really my thing, and that tend to be left unmolested when I go to a store are: Most PRSs except the Mira and the old bolt on, Gibson SGs, Superstrat modern styled boutique guitars (Grosh, Anderson, Suhr etc) but NOT including more traditional variants, Jazzmasters and other offset stuff, except Firebirds.

Of course this is a huge generalisation, and there are example of all these I would happily own, but I tend to only get to 'em when I've run out of Gibsons or Fenders (or interesting cheapies).

:thu:

• Members

I generally don't buy unininspiring guitars. The only guitar I would consider to be even close to uninspiring, was the last Les Paul Special I had (back in 1990). I only had the guitar for maybe a week or two, and it was "meh" the entire time. But even then, it might not have really been all that uninspiring, but just a case of major GAS for a Fender Jaguar, since I bought the Special as a substitute for one I wanted, but couldn't afford. The neck was OK, but the pickups were only so-so, and microphonic to boot. As it was, a week or two after I bought the LP Special, I got paid (and as a result, had more money), and I traded the Special, for the Jag.

Now, there HAS been a guitar that I wanted to like, but just couldn't get into - Explorers. They look cool, and they sound great, but that body style totally clashes with my playing style.

Archived